Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

star party in Grassington/Ingleton **

Jules - still hoping to make this, but possible clash with a family gathering in Northumberland in last week of August. Need to check/confirm dates, and Sarah's working days and will get back to you this week.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jules - still hoping to make this, but possible clash with a family gathering in Northumberland in last week of August. Need to check/confirm dates, and Sarah's working days and will get back to you this week.

Marki, its simple, change family gathering to the bank holiday weekend and come to the star party, simples.............hope you can make it

Marki, its simple, change family gathering to the bank holiday weekend and come to the star party, simples.............hope you can make it

Or bring your whole family!! ;) but Unfortunately I won't be able to make it :(

Good news is no clash with family gathering - just need to book the Friday off work now :) Hope to get it signed off this week then I can book.

Hopefully you managed to get the friday from work matey

Genuinely looking forward to this..

Hoping to tick off some new DSO's, learn and observe better techniques for observing and just enjoy some general meryment..

A must is the cygnus region especially the veil and hopefully the NAN too.. then hopefully a few globs and galaxies too..

Heck anything that's throwing protons our way really!

Anyone else got any musts for the weekend?

Ta

Fozzie

stayed at moorgarth last night, here is my opinion,

Nice little site adjacent to the A65 1/2 mile before you turn off for ingleton village.

met on arrival by the owner (lady) bit grumpy but pointed out where the shower block and toilet is,  also informed me in no uncertain terms, that cannot drive into the field,  have a camp fire, and barbecues must be raised off the ground, in other words do not burn the grass.  never saw her or her husband after that, unlike some campsites they leave you to get on with it,  but are around if there is a problem

parked up in the car park and decided to pitch my tent just in front of where I had parked,  bad idea, badly bent 4 or five tent pegs trying that spot moved further into the field and all ok, (found out later from a regular that there is a road under part of the field you used to be able to drive down, but it has been turfed over now,  the field is also quite bumpy so you need to carefully select where you pitch.

facility wise there are two female toilets, one male toilet and one electrically powered shower for everyone, wan an area for washing pots etc, also a room with a chair and hand basin for if you want to change clothes without being cramped in your tent.

nice quiet site, there were some children around but all well behaved,  site is mainly used by people doing the 3 peaks. or some of them

Astronomy wise,

if what you are going to want to view or image, will be low in the sky there is a problem, ingleborough to  the east,  and all other directions have a tree line, no clear view to the horizon. to the west is the road, and a line of tall trees,  so will  be some light pollution from passing vehicles, plus the building next to the house has security light on all night, the other problem as you will see from the pics I did manage to get is people walking to the toilet blocks with torches and lanterns

couple of images below, both taken around midnight as there was a gap in the clouds, camera settings iso 800,  canon 1100d, canon nifty fifty lens wide open at F1.8,  fixed tripod, and best focus I could get rushing while the clods rolling in, 

first image is 10 seconds,  second is 30 seconds bothe shot in raw, have done nothing to them except convert to jpg,

cyg-10sec_zpsxtnzqufw.jpg
cyg-30_zpsanw1a4an.jpg

hopefully this gives everyone an insight into what the site is like,

Genuinely looking forward to this..

Hoping to tick off some new DSO's, learn and observe better techniques for observing and just enjoy some general meryment..

A must is the cygnus region especially the veil and hopefully the NAN too.. then hopefully a few globs and galaxies too..

Heck anything that's throwing protons our way really!

Anyone else got any musts for the weekend?

Ta

Fozzie

Wishes for the weekend? No rain or howling winds; a gentle breeze would be OK to keep the midges away. A clear night sky almost feels like too much to ask - but Mr Weather - pretty please? Objects?  As you nicely put it ".. anything that's throwing protons our way!" I have far many more un-ticked boxes than ticked ones!

The early forcast for August is looking okay, but i wont be promising any clear skies, just keeping my fingers crossed

only 3 rules to this star party, we have to keep the noise down at night so low voices/wispers.................no white lights of course and above all enjoy ourselves 

Hello.  I spoke to the lady as mentioned above when I called to make a  booking.  As per Leigh's comment.   Seemed a bit "stern" in her attitude.  I for one am going to be very wary of my actions over the weekend.  LOL

John

forgot to mention if any one has room for a bike when they are going up I know of a nice scenic not too difficult 17 mile bike ride starting at the campsite,  that will fill an hour or two during the daytime,

Will be taking my bike,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Shane is your's the Baader HW??

My Lunt 1.25 HW will defo be coming along for the for the festivities..

Should be some interesting equipment comparisons going around.. And if anyone see's me anywhere near an ethos & large Dob combo you have my permission to smack the back of my head, last thing I need is aperture fever for the next few months.. 

Ta

Fozzie

Turns out Sarah is working late Friday, so we may only be able to come on saturday (unless she can get cover). Tried to book oth days just in case, but Blimey - their phones are permanently engaged or they ring off. Will try again tomorrow!

Archived