NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eyepieces and filters

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm gonna order some stuff from "seben" they have great prices and from what ive read theyre not all that bad either. P.s. Its a German company so im not sure how much ahipping would cost to you.

http://shop.seben.com/sms/shop/index.php?action=products&jump=223

Take care there. One or two of the Seben branded products are OK but most have a poor reputation.

If you buy a kit, your  ready made, done and dusted,  if you end up liking the eyepieces?

If you buy separates, you could still end up buying  the  'kit'  as I have with the BST's?

I would suggest that more than three EPs from the same company constitutes  a kit,  but getting to know and learn about the types of optics available, and what's best for your own telescope and its focal ratio, is the best way to go.

I went for the BST's  (Astro-Tech paradigms in the USA) soley for their great write-ups, value for money and the 60° afov they afforded.

If you buy just three traditional  EP's for High, Med, and Low magnification, it is essentially the  cheapest 'kit'  option ( unless your into buying some Ethos EP's! )    that encompasses most possibilities, but not all of them?

I like to frame the subject to  get the best  effect, no matter what the EP, so for me, more EP's are better.

I have one Moon filter, don't use it......well  only once so far!

Steer clear.

Yep.

Seben: uh huh...... (sorry, intended re eriksters' post)

Filters: betcha don't use em. Save for a UHC - much more potential.

Case: Astroboot usually have a couple, dirt cheap and great value.

Eyepieces: have the thrill of trying a few rated ones. My tuppenceworth, try the Vixen NPL range. And.....consider buying used.

Good hunting. Enjoy the chase :)

It will depend on the scope and the purpose you want to put the scope and eyepieces to.

The other aspect that needs to be kept in mind is that the cases will have a cost, the filters very little cost and finally the eyepieces.

Whoever puts them together will be making a profit so somewhere the quality and hence cost has to go down and about the only thing that can be "squeezed" are the eyepieces.

Never yet used a filter, that is after 15+ years, so they cannot be overly important.

One bit to check is what are the eyepieces in the kit?

I have seem kits where the eyepieces are MA's so no better then what is generally provided.

If the kit has a 4mm eyepiece then discount that, unless you are looking at ES and TV a 4mm is close to useless.

You are safer getting individual eyepieces, you can purchase what is required at the time and most suitable.

Something like a 25mm and 8mm Paradigm are good, one for the wider views (finding the things), the 8mm will give a reasonable field of view and reasonable magnification. If you were intending planet observing then other eyepieces may be better - Celestron X-Cel, additionally the scope is relevant - an SCT/Mak requires different to an f/5 reflector.

In slight defence of a kit some time back, 2 years+, one maker offered 2 eyepiece kits and one was suited to the long focal length (slow) scopes and the other suited the shorter (fast) scopes. That seems to have gone now, so it is a compromise.

I agree with John - Seben is usually lower-end material which would end up being unused/resold. Save your money and waith for something better to show up.

Other than this, your link take me to: Mods4cars LLC Online Shop System.

Houston? We have a problem...

Dave

Starting out, i think the only filter whoch is iseful is a moon filter when observing the moon when it is more than a third full or so, as it can be quite bright. I don't think other filters will be appreciated at the begining.

So is there no point of getting a moon filter???

I don't feel the need to use one although I have tried one from time to time. My scopes go from 4" to 12" in aperture.  

Does it increase detail as it states?

Assume you're asking about a Moon filter? Depends on your eyes I guess. I bought one when I first got a scope - don't even keep it in my ep case now as after a couple of uses I didn't see a need, really.

It seemed one of those obvious 'must haves' when I started out.... Then I realised it isn't. Having said that, I have bought a variable polariser set recently, just to see any effect - but that was not solely to observe the Moon, I wanted to see if it was of benefit generally with planets & whatnot (inc the Sun).

I bought a Moon filter but it is a pain to swap it between eyepieces so if I find the Moon too bright I stick my sun glasses on (never do that for the Sun).

In the kits I think it trends to be coloured filters that are included and I can easy live without those.

When I started out the "must have" piece of kit I was pointed at was a neutral density moon filter, used it probably twice and it sits forlornly in the eyepiece case unused and unloved. Happy-Kat above beat me to the sunglasses suggestion but personally I have never felt the need.

Youre scaring me!

What does that mean? I was gonna buy the eyepieces And some filters.

Hi there, basically you get what you pay for.  Seben have a poor reputation for a reason, I advise you to look elsewhere.

Eriksters, please don't waste your money on something you won't be able to get rid (apart from in the bin), if you can afford to buy that stuff new, then you can afford to buy 1 Tele Vue plossl second hand. I guarantee the view will be superb and that you will want to keep it forever. In the ridiculously unlikely event that you don't like you will definitely be able to sell it on - probably without any loss.

So is there no point of getting a moon filter???

I have a polarized moon filter, and it works very well. 

BUT: 

1. The best times to see the moon and catching most of the details out of it are before the first quarter and after the last quarter. In these time windows, you do not need a filter. 

2. The filter is effective (or at least it allows me to see the moon) when it is almost full or full. However, during this time, you won't see many details. 

In conclusion: if you like to see the moon in all its phases, I would consider a moon filter. If you are interested in seeing the best moon features, I don't consider it necessary.

Before buying, I would suggest you to look at it, in all phases and then take a decision.  :rolleyes:

When i started out with telescopes back in 2008 (i was a bino guy before that), i bought a Celestron EP kit. I still have most of it and use it a bit. Its served me well back in the day but with experience i know now that buying just 3 better EP's (low,medium and high magnification) is the way to go. Lets say............8mm,15mm and 30mm.

One thing i did was to give away the coloured filters (6 of them) that came in the kit. I couldnt see any difference with them. Fast forward 7 yrs and i just took ownership of a new set of 6 coloured filters. I decided to buy them because i have bigger and better scopes now then i did in 2008 and the filters may just enhance my planetary viewing.

So i will let you decide.

Regarding UHC filters....................

Yes they do work and in my opinion are worth it. I have a Skywatcher one (£30-40) and use it during every session when observing certain nebulae. There are others such as Castell which get really good reviews.

https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=Az_6xdfl8x9VZGwAMJdNBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTIydGhrbDM2BHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZANmNDVlNzViZmNkOWEyOTI1OTgwOTBlYmMyODM0ZDQyYgRncG9zAzEEaXQDYmluZw--?.origin=&back=https%3A%2F%2Fuk.images.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dcastell%2Buhc%2Bfilter%26fr%3Dcrmas%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D1&w=400&h=258&imgurl=thumbs2.picclick.com%2Fd%2Fl400%2Fpict%2F181509318717_%2FCastell-UHC-Filter-1-25-31-7mm.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fde.picclick.com%2FFoto-Camcorder%2FTeleskope-Fernglaser%2FTeleskop-Zubehor%2FFilter%2F&size=+9.5KB&name=%3Cb%3ECastell+UHC+Filter%3C%2Fb%3E+1%2C25%26quot%3B+%2831%2C7mm%29&p=castell+uhc+filter&oid=f45e75bfcd9a292598090ebc2834d42b&fr2=piv-web&fr=crmas&tt=%3Cb%3ECastell+UHC+Filter%3C%2Fb%3E+1%2C25%26quot%3B+%2831%2C7mm%29&b=0∋=21&no=1&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=12jphf3a9&sigb=13bfk76ea&sigi=12h2op0vk&sigt=11dsgeb7f&sign=11dsgeb7f&.crumb=XhNv/26K56n&fr=crmas&fr2=piv-web

Just my opinion (and the opinion of many others)...........but you really dont need a Moon filter. I have one (1.25 inch) but never use it. It came in the EP kit i bought.

What about a UHC are they worth it?

Yes.

Every deep sky observer that goes after diffuse nebula should own at least one type of nebula filter IMO. If not they are missing out on a huge amount of detail that a filter can show.

Even when observing from ink black skies they can ,make huge improvements on some objects by removing any light scatter in the view. Perhaps if one is observing from a desert then their effect would be less due to the dry air, but here in the UK they are very worth it.

Archived