Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Far Side of the Moore!

bingevader

Just stumbled across a lovely Radio 4 broadcast...'The Far Side of Moore' by Sean Grundy. Utterly delightful play about the early days of Sky @ Night, with gems sprinkled liberally throughout:

'Patrick, astronomers are standing on your shoulders'  PM: ' They are? Hmm, it's an old suit anyway...'

'Teheran - a quiet part of the world...'

Five minutes before air: 'Where's my presenter?! ' [of S@N]  - 'He's up on the roof with the Director General and his children, watching the comet'....

And  I never knew Cedric Allingham was in fact Sir P! Tsk for my ignorance but what a great hoax! 

Catch it on R4 podcast/iPlayer/BBC website or however you do these things - it's a wonderfully touching hoot...I loved it.

Thoroughly recommended :)

Just caught up with this. It was definitely more for entertainment than fact but in the spirit of the opening quote "everything is true, even the bits I exaggerated" it seemed excellent.

I thought it was pretty splendid.

A few years back I sent a letter to Patrick (along with countless thousands of others). In true tradition he wrote back. I was in the RAF at the time and he gave me his home number and asked me to call for a chat. When I rang, he was in a BBC meeting, and asked me to call again in an hour.

An hour later, I was myself in an emergency response meeting with the police Chief Constable and other heads of emergency response. I made my excuse to leave briefly and nipped outside to give him a call. I was far more nervous about talking to Patrick than any of the top brass.

Needless to say, he spoke to me as if he had known me for years. I remember he said to me "I was once in the RAF too, a number of years ago of course". I had a little voice in my head say "Yes I know, Ive read your books you daft muppet".

He spoke to us as equals. Sadly missed.

I do wish the BBC would make all iplayer radio content downloadable, at least for a limited time. It seems so random. Some things such as Monkey Cage are freely available and others not. I know the play is available on listen again but I want to put it on my Mp3 player and listen to it.

Frustrating .......

The play should be uploaded soon to the podcast  Drama of the Week by BBC Radio 4You'll find it in the iTunes store. It's free.

Many more programmes of the BBC are available as podcasts. 

The play should be uploaded soon to the podcast  Drama of the Week by BBC Radio 4You'll find it in the iTunes store. It's free.

Many more programmes of the BBC are available as podcasts. 

Unfortunately I can't find it on either site.

I frequently listen to Beeb podcasts on my MP3 player which is why it's so frustrating.

My attempts to record the sound output of my sound card have resulted in an eerie silence.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived