NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar Eclipse, USA, 2017

lukebl

I see a number of members have discussed their plans for the 2017 US total solar eclipse, which crosses the whole of the states.

I'll certainly be going. Don't fancy Oregon, as I reckon that'll be a bit cloudy. Here's my current plan: just north of Nashville, Tennessee. Although I guess it will be busy and perhaps somewhere off the beaten track would be better. Any other ideas?

ky-tn-nc.gif

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have thrown this idea around, the wife seems OK with it but really it should be arranged by the end of year, no?

That could be tough.

The site where you got that map from is excellent though, loads of maps. A few areas jump out at me like Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky or Grand Teton next to Jellystone.

Although I don't suppose the surrounds are the most important so you may as well just be in a city.

My first thought is to be around Charleston, a bit further north so it's an easy train trip to Florida to do the full Disney/Kennedy thing with the family.

Right now it's a work in progress and an SGL meetup stateside would be a great idea, I also think that Mr Ramsden will be somewhere near Atlanta so it would be nice to meet him and no doubt there will be a massive outreach event.

There is also 2016 in Micronesia and Marshall Islands.

I'm certainly looking at going after the washout we had down here.

The wife seems quite interested as well.

Don't think I'd do an organised trip as I'd like to do some traveling while out there. 

Would be nice to meet up with some others for the Eclipse though  :smiley:

I have a son and family living in San Francisco so I fancy Oregan. The attached plan was produced by Jay Anderson from the University of Manitoba and shows that the area close to Salem, Oregan is one of the best along the eclipse path in terms of reduced cloud cover - the bottom line is 30% cloud and the top line 60%+.

You can never be sure and its best to avoid the sea facing areas of Oregan and Washington.

At the end of the day I am sure that our American colleagues will give us better advice. One thing that is certainly with an eclipse drought of 38 years on the US mainland its going to be busy so organising long in advance might be a good idea.

post-1628-0-81447000-1427018160.jpg

At the end of the day I am sure that our American colleagues will give us better advice. One thing that is certainly with an eclipse drought of 38 years on the US mainland its going to be busy so organising long in advance might be a good idea.

This is the only thing that concerns me, we have a fairly heavy year this year fund wise and there is likely to be a trip to Oz in there somewhere too.  

I just hope that booking mid next year is not too late.

Im definitely going to see if its possible for me to go, id like to do some travelling too but would prefer to see the eclipse with a group (rather than on my own on my travels), but obviously, not being from the states it is tricky to know where to go to get the best views etc.

Matt.

That's why we figure we can do Disney and Kennedy Space centre whilst we are over there, I dread to think about it actually but I guess a lot will depend on just how long we want to stay.

I just checked on skyscanner for a likely price for a direct flight to San Francisco in August. US airlines, BA and Virgin are similar at about £1100 - you can get cheaper by having 1 or 2 stops. Still a lot of money considering I am only paying £735 for a direct flight this June. Perhaps August being peak holiday has a premium so will the eclipse have a premium/premium??

I'm getting a consistent 1260ish Euro right through July to August to Orlando, it's peak season too which doesn't help and there are really not many place to chose to fly to from Spain.

I have been inspired by this enough to make a preliminary 6 pages of notes with various costs and ideas, all I have to say is it's a bit frightening taking a family of 4 over for a month spending a good portion of that down in Orlando.

One thing I have discovered it appears there is not much in Charleston, it looks lovely though.

I'd really be interested in what CBSAP are doing and where but it is probably a bit far out for a location.

I may just do this one. I had booked a coach trip to east coast America and Canada a few yrs ago but it was cancelled 3 weeks before i was due to fly out (lack of interest). Im thinking a week vacation somewhere in the path of totality aint such a bad idea. 

Would Nashville be in the path of totality?. Kill 2 birds with one stone and visit Graceland.

I could just wait and go to Spain for a total eclipse:

http://www.eclipsewise.com/solar/SEprime/2001-2100/SE2026Aug12Tprime.html

Once i see a total eclipse in my life time...........ill be happy. Its top of my bucket list.

I don't think much in the way of heat would phase me, what would concern me more is rain or clouds.

Charleston's great! Spent 3 months working/having a ball there as a student many years ago. Quite hot and humid though - often thunderstorms in the evening. Might be worth looking carefully at weather patterns to minimise clouded out risk before choosing there.

I've raised the idea of a family holiday to the US to catch the total eclipse too :)

Archived