NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar Eclipse, USA, 2017

lukebl

I may just do this one. I had booked a coach trip to east coast America and Canada a few yrs ago but it was cancelled 3 weeks before i was due to fly out (lack of interest). Im thinking a week vacation somewhere in the path of totality aint such a bad idea. 

Would Nashville be in the path of totality?. Kill 2 birds with one stone and visit Graceland.

I could just wait and go to Spain for a total eclipse:

http://www.eclipsewise.com/solar/SEprime/2001-2100/SE2026Aug12Tprime.html

Once i see a total eclipse in my life time...........ill be happy. Its top of my bucket list.

Yes, Nashville is bang in the middle of it. Im looking at going to Nashville as well, because I can visit the Grand Ole Opry while im there, and travel into North Carolina, maybe even the south. Tried to look at flights, but the latest time I can look at is March 2016

Matt

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charleston's great! Spent 3 months working/having a ball there as a student many years ago. Quite hot and humid though - often thunderstorms in the evening. Might be worth looking carefully at weather patterns to minimise clouded out risk before choosing there.

I've raised the idea of a family holiday to the US to catch the total eclipse too :)

Looking at some recent years weather history hot and humid seems to be the key and as you say afternoon storms after a day of blazing heat. I totally like the sound of that but the afternoon storms will be the worry. The eclipse is at 2:48pm there so it might be worth investigating more before settling on the idea.

For me I just chose Charleston because it would be the quickest way to get from Florida to a point of the eclipse, I am open to other ideas too.

This site doesn't fill me with confidence http://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/tennessee/

Maybe I'll have to do what I don't want to and catch an internal flight somewhere completely different instead of train or car.

Will have to check that site out when I'm home as I cant get on it at work. We need some reliable weather websites to actually see what the weather is like during mid august. I personally don't have a clue about USA weather, only ever been to New York and Boston. and it was hot in the Summer and cold in Winter, that's about it for me lol.

Matt.

Am hoping to have won the lotto by then so will go and see it.

Justy checking the NASA map and seems that we will be spoilt for choice of where to cath totallity...although the place that I would liek to see just misses the totality line.  How great would it bee to see totality at Devils Tower.  Rckon you will get very close to it, but if going that far to watch it, no point nearly getting there, have to go the whole hog

I had big plans for this until I checked my shift rota :(

There is some prospect that the shifts could change dramatically but maybe not in time for this.

I read somewhere that this eclipse will bring about the single largest movement of people for leisure purposes ever!

And that's just the locals.

So many big cities within driving distance of the center line...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Although it is not supposed to tbe that great for stargazing there...I saw a documentary that Steven Spielberg made about it and the constellations there kept on changing shape, plus the light pollution tends to get a bit bad at certain times too..... :eek:  :tongue:  :tongue: :tongue:  :tongue:  :tongue:  :tongue:  

I think this could be tricky weather wise and would need to check climate charts before making a decision on location.  Also, the path doesn't appear to pass near any gateway cities for flights so, unless you're up for a long drive, the premium/premium fare for August flights near an eclipse will also have connecting flights adding to the cost. Ouch. That said, Nashville is a fabulous destination and my pick of the cities along the eclipse path, but surely all available accommodation will be booked all ready.

One possible option for me would be a flight to Denver and then drive up to Wyoming, sleeping in the car for the eclipse and then heading on up to Yellowstone NP. It's on my bucket list and therefore would kill two birds with one stone. Just depends on the weather. Pity the path isn't a 1000 miles or so to the south over southern California, Arizona and New Mexico and almost guaranteed clear skies...

Although it is not supposed to tbe that great for stargazing there...I saw a documentary that Steven Spielberg made about it and the constellations there kept on changing shape, plus the light pollution tends to get a bit bad at certain times too..... :eek:  :tongue:  :tongue: :tongue:  :tongue:  :tongue:  :tongue:

Yes, I remember that documentary. Seems a terrible place. In the middle of nowhere, but lights everywhere and strange craft flying around!

I think this could be tricky weather wise and would need to check climate charts before making a decision on location.  Also, the path doesn't appear to pass near any gateway cities for flights so, unless you're up for a long drive, the premium/premium fare for August flights near an eclipse will also have connecting flights adding to the cost. Ouch. That said, Nashville is a fabulous destination and my pick of the cities along the eclipse path, but surely all available accommodation will be booked all ready.

One possible option for me would be a flight to Denver and then drive up to Wyoming, sleeping in the car for the eclipse and then heading on up to Yellowstone NP. It's on my bucket list and therefore would kill two birds with one stone. Just depends on the weather. Pity the path isn't a 1000 miles or so to the south over southern California, Arizona and New Mexico and almost guaranteed clear skies...

I think that hits the nail on the head, the flights will be expensive, but depending on how much your going to do, everyone I've seen post has said they'll be killing two birds with one stone in terms of being able to do something you've always wanted. But its the accommodation I think will be the problem. Local people (or just Americans in general) can probably book hotels/motels etc a lot sooner than us foreigners can.

I have a sister in New Jersey so I might have to see if I can incorporate that, because I could stay there for a lot less, and travel to Nashville for a few days and come back. Only problem is, that its about 850 miles between New Jersey and Nashville... and that's only 1/4 of the country!

Matt.

Matt.

My wife and I are doing the route 66 drive in August 2017 and will definitely be under the track on the 21st. :smiley:

My boys and I were there in January. This is Amboy, CA. Bit of a tourist gimmick but, what the heck, it's an icon!

16242913311_90737b2ccd_c.jpg

Based on my initial thoughts , That's pretty much what I had in mind as well...

Peter...

Looking at prices for Nashville, for THIS YEAR in August its about £700-800, from Manchester which you have to change at New York or Chicago. Furthest you can look at is March 2016, so will just have to keep saving. Although its not as bad a price as I thought, but in a years time when you want to book it, it probably will be completely different.

Matt.

For those planning to go to Florida afterwards, Greenville SC is also a very good choice - it's one of the better kept secret "great places to go" in the Southeastern US.  Higher elevation than Charleston to really sear those retinas, much friendlier weather, lots of great culture.  Interstate runs straight down to Tampa, then straight over to Orlando - adds 2 hours to the drive though.  I'll be in Greenville, for sure.

What is the weather like in Tennessee area in August time of the year (by weather - is it cloudy a lot, I know it'll be hot lol). My heart is set on Nashville but I may have to go else where then travel up if needs be, don't want to be going all this way to miss it.

Matt.

This may help: https://weatherspark.com/averages/29787/8/Nashville-Tennessee-United-States but then, it could be anything on the big day. 

Nashville's a fantastic destination and busy anyway, therefore if it's a serious contender as a base during the eclipse, it might be worth be looking at accommodation options now.

Whatever the weather, there's always bar-hopping on Broadway! 

post-6008-0-67158600-1427452129.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have a son and family living in San Francisco so I fancy Oregan. The attached plan was produced by Jay Anderson from the University of Manitoba and shows that the area close to Salem, Oregan is one of the best along the eclipse path in terms of reduced cloud cover - the bottom line is 30% cloud and the top line 60%+.

You can never be sure and its best to avoid the sea facing areas of Oregan and Washington.

At the end of the day I am sure that our American colleagues will give us better advice. One thing that is certainly with an eclipse drought of 38 years on the US mainland its going to be busy so organising long in advance might be a good idea.

attachicon.gifusaeclipse001.jpg

That graphic is really helpful and confirms my thoughts that somewhere around Hopkinsville in Kentucky would be a good place to view it.

Archived