Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What is the best low budget astrophotography camera?

For DSO you need long exposure and in the line of DSLR's people go for the Canon range - best if there is live view and a rotatable screen as they end up is positions that you cannot see the screen.

For planetary people use a webcam, you get a video, then get something like Registax and feed the movie through Registax.

So the camera's are different.

Easy to start with a webcam and go for Jupiter at present.

Need laptop to get the video on to.

DSLR may be easy to look round a market or even a charity shop.

The market here has a camera stall on it weekly and things like these also turn up in charity hope.

You only really need the DSLR body.

You will need a suitable t-ring to attach to scope and the scope may not be able to achieve focus with a DSLR - they normally do not. So do not presume all will go easy.

A webcam will need the lens removing, but leave the filter in place.

For "both" there are flashed Philips Toucams, but not easily/commonly available. There are ZWO ASI 120's but new are £230 and guess used £180 area. And they do not appear often.

For DSO you need long exposure and in the line of DSLR's people go for the Canon range - best if there is live view and a rotatable screen as they end up is positions that you cannot see the screen.

For planetary people use a webcam, you get a video, then get something like Registax and feed the movie through Registax.

So the camera's are different.

Easy to start with a webcam and go for Jupiter at present.

Need laptop to get the video on to.

DSLR may be easy to look round a market or even a charity shop.

The market here has a camera stall on it weekly and things like these also turn up in charity hope.

You only really need the DSLR body.

You will need a suitable t-ring to attach to scope and the scope may not be able to achieve focus with a DSLR - they normally do not. So do not presume all will go easy.

A webcam will need the lens removing, but leave the filter in place.

For "both" there are flashed Philips Toucams, but not easily/commonly available. There are ZWO ASI 120's but new are £230 and guess used £180 area. And they do not appear often.

Ok great, thanks for your help :)

Hi, unfortunately under £100 will only get you a webcam for planetary at a push! or maybe a very old second hand DSLR which you could use for deep sky imaging. sorry but this is realistic for the budget.

starblast

You might want to read this thread.

Keep an eye out might pick up a bargain on gumtree.

If you have an android phone or tablet already you might be able to use that with a Canon to help get focus so a fold out screen won't be necessary.

There are several body only Canon 450d for example on eBay for under £100 just got to look and see what is out there.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/126763-dslr-help/

Not advice just sharing there are some in budget but there is a big but. That particular model does not do video.

You could use dpreview to check out what the various canon models have or don't have to decide what you can do without or can't. For example the model before that one does not have an LCD and the next model up has video. Then the 550d has video crop mode which is I understand good for videoing planets.

Then there is magic lantern great utility but only installs on some canons.

There is also noise consideration and I don't have the link to hand but there is a site that shows what each canon sensor is like some are much better than others.

In the mean time keep the saving going :-) as adaptors may be needed or other items.

You might want to see what might be possible with your kit and what you hope to do so you know what is possible or what is not.

Any questions fire away there are lots of helpful and knowledgeable members (I like helping but am not always knowledgeable).

If it's in reasonable condition than a Canon 450D is worth considering for DSO work.  As happy-kat points out, they don't have all the bells and whistles of the later models but they do they job and they're still supported by Canon (though for how much longer is anyone's guess).

If you want a low-priced planetary camera then look out for the occasional SPC900 that comes up on ebay or Astro Buy & Sell (or in the classifieds here once you get enough posts).  If you want really cheap, the Xbox Live camera can be modded to work for planetary, but it's not going to set the world on fire.

Your choice of scope and mount is also relevant as some cameras won't reach focus on some OTAs for example.

James

I bought a Canon 1000D for 143£ on eBay. Contrary to older Canon, it has liveview, which is a must for astrophotography. It also works fine with BackyardEOS, did not try with APT

I just bought a Low shutter count Canon 350d for £65.  Adapter etc was £35 from amazon.  No "Liveview" on the 350d but at £65 its a good way to get a feel for astrophotography I hope lol

I've just got myself a canon 1000d for £149 from Amazon.

I am yet to test it on deep sky stuff but apparently it does the job.

I'm only using the skywatcher 130 so thought get used to a DSLR first then upgrade the scope and mount later.

I've heard the 1000d works fairly good for deep sky and it does have live view which always helps.

I've just bought a used canon 1000d from here http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-equipment/used-digital-slr-cameras/used-canon-digital-slr-cameras/  (thanks whoever it was on here that pointed them out btw)

the price was £109 but I traded in a nikon 50mm lens for £50 (was easy to do) so £59 balance to pay, including postage.  Works with APT and BackyardEOS so it's going to take me a long time to outgrow it (I'm slow :grin: ). 

I like MPB as some nice mint gear comes up at good prices.

Bought a few lenses from them and always look on there every day to see new stuff.

Good multi purpose dslrs are the 60D and 550D, these are ideal for both types of imaging.

Even if they are a bit tatty they are worth getting if a good price is on offer.

If it's in reasonable condition than a Canon 450D is worth considering for DSO work.  As happy-kat points out, they don't have all the bells and whistles of the later models but they do they job and they're still supported by Canon (though for how much longer is anyone's guess).

If you want a low-priced planetary camera then look out for the occasional SPC900 that comes up on ebay or Astro Buy & Sell (or in the classifieds here once you get enough posts).  If you want really cheap, the Xbox Live camera can be modded to work for planetary, but it's not going to set the world on fire.

Your choice of scope and mount is also relevant as some cameras won't reach focus on some OTAs for example.

James

+1

Canon 450D, especially one with the IR removed, is a superb system.  Still have mine and love it.

Yes. I still use my Canon 450D for astro and daytime photography. It has live view, which is a must for easy focusing. A swivel screen would be good I agree but I work ok without one using the 450D.

There is also a good app on goggle play called DSLR controller, all you need is the app and an ota cable and can use your phone for the live view scree and control all the settings from your phone, works great for when the camera is in an awkward position.

Archived