Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sumerian Optics 18 inch Canopus

I am sure I will get to grips with collimation with the tools I have before too much more water has fallen, in fact Faulksy sent me a PM and in three lines it all became clear, it is a shame that he didn't manage to clear the clouds as well as it is still raining.

With regards to a shoud I am going to see how things go and my Wife has two friends that make clothes, they are very good and above all else, cheap, maybe even free as Vani used to take one of them to work in the morning.

I think at the moment it will be a see how I go, I had a play and managed to move clouds to where ever to scope pointed, which is a neat trick. The scope nudges very well, though with me at the moment it is not so much nudge as manhandle but I will get there. These press button goto systems sort of spoil you and I feel I may miss the tracking, especially on planets.

Above all else many thanks to everyone that has passed on congratulations in some way.

Alan   

alan your not going to get one knitted are you :grin:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Olly,

No i vanished due to a late effort to make power cuts an Olympic event and the Electricity Board was putting in some hard training with snow, rain, more snow and rain to boot.

The only clear sky I had was garnished with clouds as it got dark. A Power cut for the whole area until 0400hrs was great if only it had been clear, I don't have light pollution but when that happens you can tell a difference.

I still have to do a real first light but at least now I thing I understand the collimation, I think the size of it just frightened me.

Joves

I think Sumerian would deliever to Australia but I bet that would be a first, :grin: .

Alan.

Alan,

That's a beauty of a scope and I see that Michael has made a lot of changes to the design over the last couple of years, one being the forward facing collimation knobs! 

Regarding collimation I would wholeheartedly recommend getting a Glatter Laser and Tublug. I have used these for the past 3 years and ended up retiring my Cheshire and other collimation tools as the Glatter ones get the job done perfectly every time.

I would also recommend Dave Kriege's book which explains collimation in a very simple and accurate way.

Looking forward to reading your observing reports!

P.S. Shrouds by Heather in the US if you need a shroud for your scope in the end. Also an observing hood from Dark Skies Apparel. 

And yes, the quest for gear never ends...

Welcome.... to the dark side....

Nicos,

I was reading too much into collimation and getting sidetracked doing things that didn't really need touching, when you sit and think about it, as i did after a few lines from Faulksy, it's the same job as on my M/N 190mm. I find I am laughing at myself now, can't believe I was so daft.

I am using a Hotech laser that I am very happy with so the extra outlay for the Glatter as good as thay may be is a bit un-necessary. The other thing is and I guess your are in a similar situation, when you buy new gear and we really take a hit selling it on to others, in my case almost always to the UK, even with a strong pound it's 21 quid per item, so if something is not going to fetch me 200 pounds I just keep it. I dare not use the post service for this sort of equipment.

Thanks for the links on the other things,

alan.

Alan,

Point taken  :grin: I am in the same position as yourself indeed when it comes to sale of gear. 

And collimation of a Dob is a piece of cake in the end.

Now, go out. Observe. Go back home. Write observing report. Take more photos. Post these along with observing report  :police:

Nicos,

It was rather funny with regards to the collimation because I think I have nearly all types of scope now, SC, Mak, Mak/Newt and rerefractors, these i find very easy and many on site seem to have all sorts of trouble, it's all down to what you are used to, I can't believe I didn't see it the same way as the Mak/Newt though, maybe with the weather as it has been I was Snow Blind.

Alan

Archived