NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Just opened a time capsule.

Moonshane

As I have a liking for the older Nagler, I placed a wanted ad for a 9mm Type 1 eyepiece, stating a preference for one in excellent condition, of the later type and with original caps and box.

An email arrived shortly afterwards enquiring whether I meant the older Naglers with a 2”/1.25” dual barrel and sold in the 1980s/1990s. I replied that yes, this was the one and he confirmed that he had one that had been bought 20+ years ago and never used. It has according to the seller remained sat in the box ever since. This is a true travesty in my eyes and I offered to rescue it from him.

He sent me photos of what seemed to be a completely pristine unit and on this basis I offered him a little more than I hoped to pay, albeit still a reasonable price.

The eyepiece arrived today and it is just as described. Literally brand new with not a mark on it, pristine coatings and the whole thing is like it has been vacuum sealed for almost a quarter of a century!

I’ll upload some pics in due course but I am so glad I got my hands on this gem.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shane,

Who knows it may even be better than the 9mm T6 I have here, I would love to spend some time with both on a few targets. Just goes to show wanted ad's do work. I look forward to seeing FL reports.

Alan

It's certainly more comfy than the T6 I tried once in terms if seeing the whole field.

thats an awesome find Shane,I hold a big candle for all the "old" eye pieces and this one is a booty. ups i mean Beauty :D

And dont care much what others say about modern alternatives.Some old ones cant be beaten by modern alternatives.

Lol I think we agree Gaidis!

It's certainly more comfy than the T6 I tried once in terms if seeing the whole field.

Shane,

I must agree with you, I did say a short while ago the 8mm Ethos was easier on the eye than the 9mm Nagler. I don't use it very much and sometimes wonder why I bought it, more money than brains i think :mad: .

Shane,

When I work out a few things on this new scope, like how to make it smaller and easier to carry, I am going to make a mirror mask like you and see how it performs, should be able to get close to 8 inches. I guess a 6 inch F11 is a refractor?

Alan

• 1 year later...

Having sold this eyepiece a little while ago to SGL member Chris (Cjg) I almost instantly regretted doing so and asked him for first refusal should he ever sell it. He said this was very unlikely as he loved it and felt it would be in his eyepiece box for a long time.

Good to his word though, he has decided to sell to a lighter eyepiece to be a more even match weight-wise to his other units, and contacted me offering first refusal. The reason for this is the dreaded balance issue which with some alt-az mounts can be a problem.

I jumped at this chance and offered what I paid him for it so all is well! I was thinking about another Televue Delite in the same focal length, and after having sold my 8.5mm Pentax XF recently but this will do nicely!

It’s on the way and I look forward to some solar action tomorrow with any luck.

Archived