Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Asahi Pentax Super Takumar SMC 200mm

Thalestris24

On my Pentax lenses, the super takumars look purplish and the super multi coated are more golden.

As long as the lens doesn't look misty, you probably dont have a problem.

A couple of images will tell.

BTW......Mine reach infinity at the lens infinity mark using the cheapo adaptor.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Super multi coated are before before SMC lenses I think and after the Super Takumars, which had a single coating.

There is very little difference between Super Multi Coating and SMC lenses.

The Auto - Manual switch can be moved...there is a tiny pin on the face of the back end (easy to overlook it...I did!), which is held in when the lens is on the body. Push it in and the auto-manual switch should be moveable. I thought mine was jammed at first till I found the pin.

I think only the 50mm f1.4 / f1.2 had the radioactive lens that goes yellow and can be treated with ultraviolet.

The colour you see is probably the multicoating.

Hi

Snap! If you mean the small spring-loaded pin at the base then, yes, I can push it in and change the aperture. However, I think the eos-M42 adaptor has a hole for the pin to allow the camera to control it? So it won't be pushed in unless I mod the adaptor somehow. I'll understand better when I get the adaptor. It would be better to be able to switch the lens to manual - I can't seem to do that even with the pin in. I'm wondering what is physically stopping the slide switch from moving...

Louise

I think only the 50mm f1.4 / f1.2 had the radioactive lens that goes yellow and can be treated with ultraviolet.

My 55mm f2 super takumar looks to have the radioactive lens. Circa 1963-4 age from the model.

I don't think you EOS will be able to control the manual aperture on these older lenses... the best you can do is have an adaptor that pushed the pin in and adjust it manually...

Peter...

Yeah the canon obviously wouldn't be compatible with the mechanism but so long as I can keep the pin in, it should be fine :)

Louise

I had some Fuji lenses which had a lever rather than the pin I used to use a folded piece of  kitchen foil to hold the lever up...

Some of the adaptors have a flange that hold the pin in for you...

Peter...

I ordered an adaptor at the same time as the lens but I think it must be coming from China... Nothing but clouds here anyway :(

Louise

There is a pin for the aperture control....quite large and obvious...and a further tiny pin that locks the auto/manual switch.

Not sure if all models have it. Takes a bit of hard looking to find.

I don't think the f2 55mm lens had the radioactive element. It was only needed optically on the really low ratio lenses.

There is a pin for the aperture control....quite large and obvious...and a further tiny pin that locks the auto/manual switch.

Not sure if all models have it. Takes a bit of hard looking to find.

I don't think the f2 55mm lens had the radioactive element. It was only needed optically on the really low ratio lenses.

Ahhh yeah - found it! All ok now! Silly me not spotting that before - D'uh.

Still waiting for the adaptor though... Still waiting for clear skies as well but when they appear I'll have to give priority to testing the heq5/150pds post-adjustment.

It's been pretty much a write-off for imaging so far this year :(

Thanks

Louise

Super multi coated are before before SMC lenses I think and after the Super Takumars, which had a single coating.

There is very little difference between Super Multi Coating and SMC lenses.

The Auto - Manual switch can be moved...there is a tiny pin on the face of the back end (easy to overlook it...I did!), which is held in when the lens is on the body. Push it in and the auto-manual switch should be moveable. I thought mine was jammed at first till I found the pin.

There are 2 versions with M42 mount, Super Takumar and Super-Multi-Coated Takumar.

The SMC version is named SMC Pentax and has a K-mount.

@Louise - I have a spare M42 - Eos adapter if you want to borrow it until yours arrives - just PM me your address and I will post it to you - I have standard and beep on focus - your call.

Hi Billy

Thanks for the offer but it's ok. I expect I'll get the one I ordered next week but there's no rush as I'm busy trying to get my heq5 adjusted and tested, and the 130pds collimated!

Cheers

Louise

Love my super Tak. Holds focus perfect at any angle and is sharp wide open. The adapter ring has a flange that pushes the aperture pin in when you thread it on. Fotodiox makes some of the better ones. Just fyi. Enjoy!

post-28595-0-90704400-1425781388_thumb.j

Love my super Tak. Holds focus perfect at any angle and is sharp wide open. The adapter ring has a flange that pushes the aperture pin in when you thread it on. Fotodiox makes some of the better ones. Just fyi. Enjoy!

attachicon.gif200mm Super Tak-2.jpg

I use Fotodiox, always arrives fast from the states, no matter how small the order is.

They are a great firm to deal with for good quality cheap photo gear.

• 1 month later...

Hi all

A quick update... Can't believe it's been 2 months! Anyway, I just got a second (second hand) 1100d so I've been trying out the Super Takumar at last! However, it doesn't seem like it can quite reach infinity (tried it quickly on Jupiter) which is a shame :(  However, I've read of several possible workarounds. One suggests using an M42 adapter with AF confirm chip. But if I can't reach infinity focus manually I don't see that autofocus would work? Another workaround seems to involve doing some mechanical adjustments. I found some info here though it doesn't specifically mention my lens and I didn't quite understand it anyway. Any suggestions or links that would help better?

Cheers

Louise

Generalising, focusing involves moving the lens closer or further away from the film or imaging chip aka focal plane.

The mod involves unlocking and moving the lens inside the helical focuser, so that the lens to focal plane distance is correct when the helical focuser is set to the Infinity position.

Hope that helps

Michael

Hi Louise, I did have a link to altering the 200mm back focus whenI was going to do mine, didn't do it in the end as I gave it to a good cause, will try to find it again.

Dave

Hi Louise, I did have a link to altering the 200mm back focus whenI was going to do mine, didn't do it in the end as I gave it to a good cause, will try to find it again.

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks! It could be useful if you can find it - I don't want to start undoing screws without first having a clear idea of what I'm doing! I've put the camera on a tripod now - I was only hand holding it before, so it might be worth trying again tonight. I can focus on a building a mile away but I'm not certain about celestial objects. A quick look at the moon last night seemed ok but that was only judging by the camera screen so it might have not been in sharp focus.

Mark - Thanks. I obviously have an adapter - is yours a special one??

Michael - Thanks. Um, I know what focus involves... I just wanted more practical detail about exactly how to do the adjustments and on my particular lens, if possible.

Cheers

Louise

Hello Louise, I had the front ring removed from mine and a few mm skimmed to allow me to focus past infinity, I have no pentax lenses

so have no need for it at the moment, I would rather it was being used so your welcome to it as i dont forsee me buying pentax lenses soon as i have a good stock of Mamiya 645 lenses. I ended up going down the Mamiya option as their lenses were faster and cheaper plus easily illuminated any chip i had. If the adaptor works for you hold on to it. Pm if you want me to post it

cheers

Mark

Mark

Hello Louise, I had the front ring removed from mine and a few mm skimmed to allow me to focus past infinity, I have no pentax lenses

so have no need for it at the moment, I would rather it was being used so your welcome to it as i dont forsee me buying pentax lenses soon as i have a good stock of Mamiya 645 lenses. I ended up going down the Mamiya option as their lenses were faster and cheaper plus easily illuminated any chip i had. If the adaptor works for you hold on to it. Pm if you want me to post it

cheers

Mark

Mark

Hiya

This is what I have at the moment. Is this like yours? Did you have the flange removed?

Cheers

Louise

Ah no. I bought a pentax super takumar 200mm to use with an 1100d :) I was just looking on Amazon - there appears to be some slightly more expensive adaptors available which claim allowing infinity focus so maybe I'll try one of them :)

Thanks anyway!

Louise

Archived