Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Asahi Pentax Super Takumar SMC 200mm

Thalestris24

A Super Takumar will not work with autofocus as ti is a manual focus lens.

My 200mm f4 reaches infinity ok on my 1000D.... I am using a very thin M42 adaptor off E-bay...no focus confirm, just pure thread to thread and about 1mm-ish thick...very cheap, but works.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Super Takumar will not work with autofocus as ti is a manual focus lens.

My 200mm f4 reaches infinity ok on my 1000D.... I am using a very thin M42 adaptor off E-bay...no focus confirm, just pure thread to thread and about 1mm-ish thick...very cheap, but works.

Hi

Do you have a link to one the same as you have - there are so many around but it's hard to tell which might enable true infinity focus.

Thanks

Louise

Hi

Do you have a link to one the same as you have - there are so many around but it's hard to tell which might enable true infinity focus.

Thanks

Louise

I got one just like this one..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-M42-Screw-Mount-Lens-to-Canon-EOS-EF-mount-Adapter-40D-50D-450D-1000D-5D-UK-/271074146382?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f1d47384e

Item number 271074146382 if the link doesn't work.

I have Pentax Takumars.....variously multi-coated and super multi-coated of 35mm, 135mm, 200mm and 300mm.

I haven't had them long, but from a few test sessions, they all seem to just get to infinity as far as I can tell. Stopping down a stop always helps.

I think if one of them can reach infinity on a camera, then they all should, being built to same mounting spec. 

That mont adaptor is so cheap, it is worth a punt just to see if it will work.

I think what's causing your problems is the full spectrum mod on your 1100D. A filter is removed so the the distance to the sensor is a little longer. For example a 3mm glass filter acts as just being 1 mm thick in the optical path. If you have a clip filter try to use that together with the lens.

I think what's causing your problems is the full spectrum mod on your 1100D. A filter is removed so the the distance to the sensor is a little longer. For example a 3mm glass filter acts as just being 1 mm thick in the optical path. If you have a clip filter try to use that together with the lens.

Hi

I'm only using the super takumar with an unmodded 1100d so far, though I do have a clip filter in the full-spectrum one anyway. I've still not tried the lens out properly for astro (distracted by politics tonight!).

Cheers

Louise

This is the one I have for my two m42 lens a super takumar and reach infinity focus (and goes past it).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001CX1HZ6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Hi

Thanks though I already ordered the one Kropster linked to - should come by Wed. Was your lens also a 200mm/f4?

Cheers

Louise

I have several M42 adapters and they are all very slightly different but I have got them all to work at infinity just by adding a little taper to the inside edge (I noticed that some lenses didnt sit flush) with some wet and dry paper, the difference are only fractions of a mm but thats all thats required.

Alan

Hi all

Well I got the replacement adapter today - very solid, lol. However it otherwise didn't seem any different to the first one. I tried again on Jupiter earlier. I seemed to get focus but only with the lens stopped down and I got Jupiter with diffraction spikes! But it was less certain at F4. I'd be much happier if I could take the lens just passed infinity and then screw in to get a definite focus. So it looks like I'll have to undo it and have a fiddle. The Super Takumar saga goes on!

Louise

Hi all

Well I got the replacement adapter today - very solid, lol. However it otherwise didn't seem any different to the first one. I tried again on Jupiter earlier. I seemed to get focus but only with the lens stopped down and I got Jupiter with diffraction spikes! But it was less certain at F4. I'd be much happier if I could take the lens just passed infinity and then screw in to get a definite focus. So it looks like I'll have to undo it and have a fiddle. The Super Takumar saga goes on!

Louise

You can get rid of the spikes by buying a cutting compass and cutting step down inserts for the front of the lens.

You can get rid of the spikes by buying a cutting compass and cutting step down inserts for the front of the lens.

Yeah, I could do that but it was just a focus test - I doubt I'll be trying to image Jupiter properly... Actually, I quite like diffraction spikes - I was just surprised to see them!

Here is one I did. It was 5 secs at iso 400 and on a tripod. Much too long for 200mm but never mind:

post-33532-0-23230100-1431591282_thumb.j

:icon_cool:  :tongue:

Louise

Hi Louise,

I got tempted by a vintage Takumar Super Multi Coated 200mm lens as well. I have a modded Canon 450d. I bought a slimline adaptor, which looks very similar to the ones you have. I have found that the infinity focus is bang up against the edge for me with my camera, and if I am honest, it could do with maybe a single mm more, might not even be that much. I managed to get some tracked shots, piggybacked on a HEQ5 rig and simply aimed at some sky this week. Ignore the fact I need flats :)

41ed598935bf3debf2a2c0a21c63e028.1824x0_

A zoomed up cropped center section shows this: 

61d3da5585eb3d6dadf34e7bf3f7cc26.620x0_q

This was stopped down to f8 as you may be able to tell by the star shapes. There is a bit of trailing, presumably my guiding rather than focus (and I think I forgot to turn dither off for the main rig, which won't have helped!) and these are 5 minute exposures. I think this is good enough for me, although I may be tempted to adjust the lens enough for me to get that last mm or so.

I have grown fond of the lens already and it has its own warmed headband.

Takumar Super Multi Coated 200mm

Thanks

Matt

Hi

Well, f8 is f8 - aperture not relevant! Actually, after a fiddle with it earlier I think I've been able to adjust it to reach infinity at f4 :) Venus was handy :) I'll look at the images tomorrow to check. They are on-camera and I'm just setting up my 130pds - just waiting for it to get dark!

Louise

Just took this Jupiter and moons in between the clouds :) 2s, iso 800, 200mm f4 on shaky tripod with self timer :) 

post-33532-0-41343400-1431646032_thumb.j

I just did a couple of quick curves on the jpeg. Jupiter looks quite big - presumably just bloating really?

Still, looks in focus? Was quite surprised to see the moons with just 2 secs - could even see them on the screen. Opinions welcome :)

Will hopefully do some more testing when I get some proper clear skies.

(FWIW I just undid the 3 screws which hold the focussing barrel in place and through trial and error I think it goes past infinity a tad.)

Louise

It looks like you have sorted your problem and if the moons are visible then the focus should be very close.

I have found that very bright objects will bloat a little so I allways use the smallest/dimest in star in the FOV to focus on it is suprising what a fast lens will show on a liveview screen when zoomed in at x10.

Alan

Hi

Oh, my previous image #67with the diffraction spikes wasn't Jupiter at all - it must have been Venus! :embarrassed: D'uh - silly me!

I'm going to put the 1100d+Takumar on the heq5 to try it out properly. At least I'll have Stellarium to inform me of the target! Plus APT's focus tool :)

Louise

Hi

Well, f8 is f8 - aperture not relevant! Actually, after a fiddle with it earlier I think I've been able to adjust it to reach infinity at f4 :) Venus was handy :) I'll look at the images tomorrow to check. They are on-camera and I'm just setting up my 130pds - just waiting for it to get dark!

Louise

Yes indeed... fine for nebulae and diffuse objects, but won't it limit the magnitude of stars (point sources)?.... but I guess there will be enough of them in the wider field that 200mm gives.

Archived