NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M101 the 'Pinwheel Galaxy'

centroid

The sky was clear all yesterday evening over Suffolk, although the 'seeing' wasn't at all good, and there was a lot of moisture in the air. So much so, that by the time I'd finished imaging, things were 'dripping wet'.

So, I was pleasantly surprised that the resulting image turned out as well as it did. Certainly better that I'd expected

With 88mm of spacing (extension tubes) between the 6.3 Focal Reducer and the CCD, the focal ratio was around f/7.

12" LX200R + 6.3 FR. SXVF-H9C and 10x600sec subs.

Dave

post-13389-13387733965_thumb.jpg

That's a beautiful image - The colours in the spiral arms are amazing! It's incredible that so much detail can be captured from something thats 27,000,000 light years away! well done Dave, you must be very pleased.

Thanks for your kind comments guys.

I guess there's a moral in the story that says "the 'seeing' doesn't look so good, but give it a try anyway". :rolleyes:

I was indeed surprised when the final image appeared from the 'stack', as imaging at f/7 with the 12" really isn't that forgiving if the sky isn't that good, due to the relatively high mag generated by such a long focal length scope, being over 2000mm at f/7.

Dave

Archived