NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Boxing Day Jupiter from Bembridge

SnakeyJ

Nice to be out for a run tonight, with better conditions than of late - good trans and moderate to fair seeing, which improved as Jupiter rose.

A very quick process without sorting through the data, but the captures looked half decent from firecapture.   Taken at F15/3600mm with the Europa 250, TV x3 barlow and QHY5L-IIM.

RGB:

post-26731-0-26822500-1419561367.png

Channels (LRGB) for ref:

post-26731-0-17004000-1419561458_thumb.ppost-26731-0-18042600-1419561469_thumb.ppost-26731-0-67332400-1419561482_thumb.ppost-26731-0-42112000-1419561496_thumb.p

You know you're in with a shout when the Lum sharpens up ok, though the blue was still a little mushy and noisy for this first process.

excellent images, very nice looking image with some good detail. its always interesting to see the individual channels. i was out from around 2:45 - 4:00 the seeing was average with lots of haze, so had to really push the settings. the results a little noisy so back to bed and save my energy for better conditions!

OK - here's a quick comparison from the previous run, which I think has better consistency across the channels.    I've increased the stack size from 1200 to 1500/6000 frames per channel, drizzled 1.5x using 70 point APs in AS!2.   Per channel wavelets in R6 and WJ dertotation.   I've then forked the PP, using CS2 and Image Analyzer.  Both images were scaled to 150% before post process.

CS2 RGB vs IA RGB:

post-26731-0-27476400-1419633345.png  post-26731-0-93514200-1419633347.png

I'm a bit of a newb with both CS2 and IA, but see that IA seems to be finding increasing favour.   The colour noise reduction and adaptive sharpening in IA look pretty powerful, but this may not be a good thing in the hands of a novice - So which one looks best looks Now which one looks best?

might experiment with a 3x drizzle rather than upscale later.

Nice experiments there Jake. Thought there was more in those images when I first saw them. you should experiment more. Because when you do, your getting more out.

I think there's plus and minuses in all of them. Better colour on the right, more blue. better detail too. Though less soft with more slight edge noise. some subtle lines on the top edge of the right image. Not in the other two.

All in all your best so far I think. Nice work

Nice experiments there Jake. Thought there was more in those images when I first saw them. you should experiment more. Because when you do, your getting more out.

I think there's plus and minuses in all of them. Better colour on the right, more blue. better detail too. Though less soft with more slight edge noise. some subtle lines on the top edge of the right image. Not in the other two.

All in all your best so far I think. Nice work

Thanks Neil, the IA is my favourite and I will have to spend some more time learning the ropes with this. The noise reduction is a big advance on my usual unsharp mask and blur routine.

Skies are looking clear tonight, though wind is likely to be a challenge. I'll aim for a later start to get jupiter nice and high.

Ok. Ive got a cold, so remind me. Whats IA? Ta

Sent from my iPhone so excuse the typos!

Image Analyzer from Meesoft (Michael Vinther) - http://logicnet.dk/Analyzer/

It's very small but has some great sharpening, noise reduction and colour adjustment tools - there are also some useful looking plugins that are probably worth a play.

Archived