Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

100 deg EPs to glass wearers?

YKSE

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the folks on CN are buying them now so we should have some indications of how they perform quite soon.

My prediction FWIW: Very good 100 degree eyepieces, very nearly, but not quite as good as the Ethos with the subtle differences being seen mainly in fast, large aperture scopes. I'm not exactly sticking my neck out there, am I ? :grin:

There is so much re-badging going on these days you can't really tell what the origins of the glass you are looking through are. Perhaps it doesn't matter if it does the job well though ? :smiley:

It took me some time to realise it but Tele-Vue and Pentax don't rebadge eyepieces or dress them differently, it is the main reason I buy them, does what it says on the tin.

Alan

I feel a Skoda/VW analogy coming along here! ;)

And, yep, you're right.

However, it's the rebadgers that have opened up the astronomy market and made astronomy accessible to an ever widening population of enthusiast.

Like it or loath it, for less well healed plebs like myself, it's a godsend.

It's why I've been able to get back into the hobby as an adult.

I couldn't even dream as a teenager of owning the kit that I have now (and that teenagers can have now!).

But please don't misunderstand, I am very happy that you are able to purchase the quality glass that you do and achieve the awesome views that you do AND that this helps the development of even better optics. :)

Some of the folks on CN are buying them now so we should have some indications of how they perform quite soon.

My prediction FWIW: Very good 100 degree eyepieces, very nearly, but not quite as good as the Ethos with the subtle differences being seen mainly in fast, large aperture scopes. I'm not exactly sticking my neck out there, am I ? :grin:

I predict that your noggin will remain safely attached to your torso.

To be honest, if that is what happens, then that is an excellent result and I couldn't care less what they look like.

Russell

Aaw! What did you have to go and say that for John :(

:D

I will keep my eye on the CN forum waiting for a review, although I really would like to try before I buy.

However I guess if they do turn out to be very near the same as Ethos, I guess I could use one of those for a reasonable idea of what to expect and to see if I am going to like one. 

I would really like to see if they really have 20mm eye releaf...as well their real performance!

My thoughts exactly. If they are a touch below Ethos quality, they could still be in Nagler territory. Combining that with long eye relief, and the Nagler line in particular could feel a bit of a pinch

My thoughts exactly. If they are a touch below Ethos quality, they could still be in Nagler territory. Combining that with long eye relief, and the Nagler line in particular could feel a bit of a pinch

Sounds like you and I are on the same wavelength Michael, watch this space as they say.....

Sounds like you and I are on the same wavelength Michael, watch this space as they say.....

I am in no hurry. I did look through Olly's 13mm Ethos, and liked the 100 deg view (once I got my glasses squeezed up against the EP), but still preferred the ease of use of the T4 Naglers. I was not blown away by the FOV. Once I get that big dob in the arsenal, an Ethos-like EP would make more sense as the 31T5 might give an exit pupil beyond what I want. A bigger solar H-alpha set-up has priority, however

hmm, I know what you mean about exit pupil Michael as I had been looking at the Nagler myslf but ruled it out on exit pupil on my dob as over 6mm thats why I have the Nirvana which is excellent btw.

So obviously this is where the meade MWA would come in assuming A) the ER is as they say it will be and B) I like the 100 degree FOV.

Being an impetuous soul I am keen to find out more but given the price will probs be similar to an Ethos (one hopes), I am not going to rush into it. Next decent weather we get I am hoping to meet up with someone who has a 13mm Ethos so that would at least give the answer to B).

Here's hoping and clear skies soon

Steve

Being an impetuous soul I am keen to find out more but given the price will probs be similar to an Ethos (one hopes),

Steve

The price looks like more in the ES level than Ethos, on the other side of pond, the new Meades are selling for around 250$.

I'd not be in a hurry to get hold of these Meade's to be honest. They seem to me to have a track record of producing slightly underwhelming products over the past few years.

True. Before embarking on anything like a spending spree I would like to see some solid reports. I would lofe to see them back in the form they had with the Mk1 S5K 14mm UWA I had. Really nice piece of kit. The two TeleXtenders I have are nice too.

I'd not be in a hurry to get hold of these Meade's to be honest. They seem to me to have a track record of producing slightly underwhelming products over the past few years.

I had heard (not sure how true this is) that Meade had pirated staff from the other more successful brands in order to stop this from being the case in future. 

Still with fingers well and truly crossed here in London :)

Well, I have my daughter's boyfriend bringing an 8 mm Ethos from the US :)

So, I guess I'll be sticking with that.

I'm fortunate that with small lenses on my specs. and the rubber eye guard collapsed down on the EP, I can happily use the Ethos range.

Early Xmas pressie :)

Cheers

Paul

I hope this new range of Meade eyepieces live up to expectations as in my opinion some of the others do not. I am testing at the moment the 24mm SWA, 16mm SWA and 40mm S Plossl, all from their leading series 5000 range. The two former I bought myself new and lost a lot on them when I sold them on. The 40mmm SP is a new one to me and this is my first time using one.

In the case of the 24mm I have done a head to head against the 24mm Panoptic in my view a class act. I will of course write a full report on these over the holiday period. Meade state things like 'Tack Sharp' in their adverts and if we are talking F10 then its a fair one liner, however the same is not true at F 5.26, not very fast but enough so faults can be seen, by me at least. Now I know everyone is different and I would not want to give the impression that I am right all the time but I know what I see. What I see is an eyepiece that is not tack sharp for about the outer 20%, I would like to know how good this is at F4.5 say, the Panoptic was like a razor and a joy to use.

I have read on this site claims of better transmission from the SWA 24mm, well maybe but when I placed M 36 at the edge of fleld, there were stars that just could not be seen any longer, so much for the transmission arguement. 

The 16mm was no better in these areas and the 40mm was even worse. I would be very careful of claims from the Meade camp and the speed of scope they make these claim for, F10 yes no problem and from a maker of many F10 scopes, I have not seen an F10 Dobsonian though and I imagine that most 100 degree eyepieces appeal to the Dob Squad who's scope are faster than F5 and some even faster than F4. I would want to see one of these before I buy!

BTW I had my eyes tested 4 days ago and apart from the 1.25 diopta I use to read there are no problems with the old things.

Alan.

The price looks like more in the ES level than Ethos, on the other side of pond, the new Meades are selling for around 250$.

I just noticed that. Blimey.

$249. Lets say $30 for shipping - That's what Hands On Optics charged me for an ES82 30deg and that ain't light. So at todays exchange rate that's £178.

£178 plus 4% import duty, plus 20% VAT and £8 Post Office handling charge netts out at £230, say £240 for nebulous exchange rate/Paypal charges.

Put it another way - That's the 10, 15 & 21mm on your doorstep for only £60 more than a single TV 21mm Ethos.  :eek:

In that calculation, I'm also assuming that you pay three times for the shipping and handling charges, which you don't.   :eek:  :eek:

Runs to check piggy bank....

Russell

It was a bit tongue in cheek as I KNOW the piggy bank isn't full enough, without flogging existing stuff.

To be honest, I'm not that fussed about the uber wide aFOV. Much as I like my Delos, I'm missing the 82deg aFOV of my ES82s slightly more than I thought I would, especially when nudging/hunting around in the Dob. I do love the lovely, easy access of the Delos eye relief though and it is the thought of having my cake and eating it that makes the Meade Mega Wides interesting.

I'm having a little bit of a rethink about all of my scopes/EPs at the moment - Too many cloudy nights breeds discontent - so the EPs would only change as a result of any scope change and perhaps a want to slim things down a bit. I'll save that for a different thread.

Just thoght I would post this as it demonstrates why I am interested in the Meade MWA 15mm. You can see on the chart 3 ep's in the lower ring sizes (orange, blue and green) which represent my SW 22mm/70, the 15mm/100 and a delos 14mm. (I also have the delos 17.3 but its not needed in this comparison as it sits betwen the 22 & 14)

post-26735-0-11351600-1418942539_thumb.j

You can see that the MWA 15mm/100 is almost as much as equal in TFOV to the SW 22mm/70 (about 0.5 i think) and will as near to match the mag of the delos 14mm. So given that as the 17.3mm delos is inbetween, it is just that, inbetween. 

So if these Meade MWA are good enough and I like the 100 degree mega wide views, then 1 eyepiece could replace all 3 of them and make my viewing easier in the mid to lower power range without detracting from my viewing pleasure and experience.

The 21mm MWA is shown in yellow doesn't beat the Nirvana in red so I think I would  stick with it. TBH it would have to be seriously good as I really do like using the Nirv. 

Hope this makes sense.

Steve

Archived