Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

California Nebula

Dave Moulton

I have been playing around with a picture of the California Nebula taken on the ED80 this Autumn it suffered from gradients and noise, so much so that I desaturated it at first to make it look a bit better. I thought I would show you what I have done with it.

2Hrs exposure Skywatcher ED80 Canon Modded 350D

10 Min Subs @Iso 800 + Astronomic CLS FILTER

Mount EQ6 Pro running EQMOD

Guiding PHD with a Meade DSI 10" Meade SCT

Dave

post-14400-133877338822_thumb.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love it, Dave, that is a cracker of an image with lovely colour and detail. I am curious though, ED 80, modified 350D, where is the rest of the image? By the way, this is not a dig, I am genuinely interested as I have just acquired a 350d, already have an ED 80 and would have guessed (but not checked) that this particular object would fit the FOV?

Love it, Dave, that is a cracker of an image with lovely colour and detail. I am curious though, ED 80, modified 350D, where is the rest of the image? By the way, this is not a dig, I am genuinely interested as I have just acquired a 350d, already have an ED 80 and would have guessed (but not checked) that this particular object would fit the FOV?

I think Kevin is right, it is a big target for such a set up. However to be honest I could have done a better job with the composition.

cheers,

Dave

I think Kevin is right, it is a big target for such a set up. However to be honest I could have done a better job with the composition.

cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave, it is a much bigger object than I had thought! This is a screen shot of the nebula surrounded by representation of the FOV from your set-up - as has been suggested, it won't fit! Help, I need an even BIGGER sensor :afro:

calif_fit.jpg

Hi Dave, it is a much bigger object than I had thought! This is a screen shot of the nebula surrounded by representation of the FOV from your set-up - as has been suggested, it won't fit! Help, I need an even BIGGER sensor :afro:

calif_fit.jpg

Nice one Cheers for that. I don't feel quite so bad now. Still I could have framed it better though

Dave

I missed that one Ray. I have limited views form the back garden so each object has a short season for me.

Cheers

Dave

well it definitely seems to be me that you are squeezing the maximum out of your short seasons, I am jealous sir

cheers

Ray

Nice one Cheers for that. I don't feel quite so bad now. Still I could have framed it better though

Dave

Nah, you did just fine, it is a stunning image of the nebula - I just love the colours you have captured. I have tried to image this object using my 200mm Canon lens and SXVF-H9C but have been very unhappy with the results - your result,I would have been very happy with.

Archived