Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

An up and down evening, and here's the up: M51/NGC 5195 12/03/08

Whippy

So after Spurs' excruciating UEFA cup exit at the hands of PSV Eindhoven (sudden death penalties arrgh!!), I thought I'll have a second stab with the new toys setup. So after two hours of finally getting everything working, 20 mins of wasted exposures I managed to grab a few shots and here's the result. T'was a bit gusty out hence the stars are a bit oval (PHD going 'donk' as it struggles to track the guide star!) and more exposure time is clearly needed, but it was 2am and I was knackered, still am! More caffiene please.....

So: Atik 16hr with Neodymium and IR cur filters on my WO ZS110, PHD/QHY5 doing the guiding on my soon to be departed <snif> MN56. 4x5mins, 2x4mins, 2x3mins and 1 2 minute exposures stacked in DSS and cropped, levelled and curved in Photoshop.

4456_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Tony..

Thanks all :afro:. If only Spurs had won in normal time, I would have had more time outside :D.

nice pic tony, very nice.

so are they two galaxies clashing together or something?

AFAIK, they've had a 'brush' with each other and the 'bridge' is M51 absorbing part of NGC 5195. If anyone knows better, I'd love to know :D.

Tony..

Thanks all :afro:. If only Spurs had won in normal time, I would have had more time outside :D.

nice pic tony, very nice.

so are they two galaxies clashing together or something?

AFAIK, they've had a 'brush' with each other and the 'bridge' is M51 absorbing part of NGC 5195. If anyone knows better, I'd love to know :D.

Tony..

I have read that they aren't connected and also have read that they are, so I am not sure.

Regards

Kevin

Tony, I`m not sure you really know quite how much data you have in this image. Go check the account you uploaded the fits files to for a PSD file and two jpgs.... :afro:

(I promised I wouldnt post it until Tony has seen it!)

Archived