NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Garden storage for HEQ5

Does anyone know if either of these would be suitable for storing the HEQ5 Pro mount in the garden, so that I don't have to cart it up and down the stairs?

Keter De-Luxe Storage Box

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005L3HUI6/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_RPKyub0EQC1ZD

Keter Eden Bench Box

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003AQH3J2/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_5QKyub13NQT2E

That's fine it was just a thought.

I suppose with a stair trolley I could possibly set up the scope, mount and camera all in my flat, and take the whole lot down in one go, with the accessories in a ruck sack. Although that would make it tricky to get the mount legs level, because the mount would already be on.

But then I saw a polar alignment YouTube video where an NEQ6 was being used, and that had a mini spirit level attached to it. So I wonder if I could attach one to my HEQ5 so that I could ensure that the legs were level without having to remove the mount?

I would transport stuff in the safest manner for the objects and I don't think that would be ready assembled in case of jolting as a guess. The lady in Glasgow was looking into mobile crates for dragging kit up down stairs I wonder if that got any further.

I had a similar seat box, until my kids (fully grown now) jumped all over it. Its not that tough. Its practical and should be maintenance free, but the fit allows for Spiders, cobwebs and some condensation to form inside, so for that reason, I would avoid that method. That said, I have one of those Keter 6x4 plastic sheds, light as a feather, so needs weighting down or anchoring against the winds, is maintenance free, and is vented, yet dry as a bone? The vents are covered to stop the bugs getting in, but there is a vast amount of cobwebbing now under the  floorboards / palleting after about a Year of use. If your equipment remains adequately covered inside this sort of shed, then it could be a good to go situation. the only problem with the Keter sheds is their price, I just think their too much.

Carting it all up and down stairs is a sure fire way to get hacked off and thus stop using it IMHO. Why not save up and get a small shed, you don't need to build a pier, and you can dismantle it if you move. Of course you may not have permission to do this. :(

I have kept mine outside albeit in an out-building for want of a better word, for two years, our winters are much more savage than in the UK and it's fine. I think the main thing is waterproof, I am thinking of planting my HEQ 5p in the garden on a pillar, but only if I can find a quality cover to keep out the wet, wind and cold I don't believe matter too much. The UK though does have a lot of rain though so be careful.

Alan 

Something that might help you with levelling, until you get a shed.

Align the mount/tripod as usual.

Mark the floor where the legs go. spray paint, drill small dents, or whatever.

If you can avoid adjusting the length of the legs when entering & leaving the house, or mark them for extension, then you have a quicker setup every time out.

On the shed front. If permission from 'er indoors is viewed as an issue. try this argument.

By keeping your toys in a shed, you don't clutter up the house!

Sorry, can't help with the size/weight of the kit!.

I don't know how secure your garden is, but my HEQ5 lives under a Telegizmo's "365" cover which is pretty weatherproof. Designed to keep everything off. I've never found the mount damp even after torrential rain.

I throw a plastic camping ground sheet that is made from thick and durable plasdtic  over my mount.  It is polar aligned and was out all last winter in the howling wnd and rain and has not been indoors since.,  100% OK.  When we don't observe for weeks on end due to weather I take the sheet off when we get a dry spell to get some air around it.

The handles look good also, but not sure where they are from. I'm guessing there must be a wraparound-style bag which I could put on the floor, lie the mount on top, and then carry it.

There was a link to one of the handle solutions in my second post.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/rolson-adjustable-carrying-lifting-aid-strap-cushion-grip-/160896105020?pt=UK_Lifting_Moving_Equipment&hash=item257627ba3c

Archived