SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Handle for a 10" Dob ota?

Steep

Has anyone successfully made a carrying handle for a mid sized Dob tube? I took delivery of my first ever Dobsonian yesterday, the ota is awkward to hold on to and I'm terrified of dropping it while transporting in and out of the house.

I'm thinking a removable strap arrangement or possible using rings permanently fitted above and below the balance point?

When I made 8" and 10" Dobsonians I added a carry handle as I was aware of just your problem. I used the simple plastic drawer handles from B & Q/ Homebase and they were O.K. for the telescopes that I made. The tube was thin galvanised sheet steel and two self-tapping screws, through the tube and into the handle, were enough to provide adequate strength. The Dobs that I made were fairly lightweight having 19mm thick mirrors but I don't know their actual weight. The handles were put at the balance point of the tube so they could be moved with one hand while the other hand was free to move the base ( also fitted with a handle ).

Here's a shot of one of my 200mm ( 8") Dobs

Nigel

post-7974-0-69073600-1359198907_thumb.jp

Cheers Astrobits, it seems such an obvious thing to do I don't understand why handles are not standard on all dobs. I've ordered a set of the Velcro strap handles that I linked to above, I think they will do the job.

have a look for "rolsom load straps" .that are a webbing strap Velcro fixing and a Handel built in to them .fitted then just below the finder bracket .good for carrying the ota and for moving the scope in use .I had 7of them but all . gone to other members S/Wales S G L wI'll post a pic when h

have a look for "rolsom load straps" .that are a webbing strap Velcro fixing and a Handel built in to them .fitted then just below the finder bracket .good for carrying the ota and for moving the scope in use .I had 7of them but all . gone to other members S/Wales S G L wI'll post a pic when h

This is what I use, as well here's a link - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/rolson-adjustable-carrying-lifting-aid-strap-cushion-grip-/160896105020?pt=UK_Lifting_Moving_Equipment&hash=item257627ba3c

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Edited by stev74

That's pretty much what I've ordered Steve and Lenny. I'd be a bit dubious about drilling the ota and fitting a hard handle in case the tube distorts under its own weight, I'm a lot happier with the wrap around Velcro idea.

I saw that as well, my ota is almost a metre round and even at 126cm there's not going to be a lot of Velcro left over to grip itself. The one(s) I've ordered are 180cm long so will probably need to be cut down, they're also 5cm wide for the best possible grip.

• 7 years later...