NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Serious issue

Guys please tell me theres a way to fix this

Ive been in the obs preping my gear for Galloways this month and have found that the thread on one sidfe of the mount which accepts the Azimuth bolt is stripped, it hold in place just but slips when pushing against the alighment peg

what are my options?

Find a local metal fabrication firm. They will drill out the hole and re-tap. Or they can drill out and then fix a threaded insert into the hole. You're looking at about an hour's labour, or about £40 I would think.

an overkill

Guys please tell me theres a way to fix this

Ive been in the obs preping my gear for Galloways this month and have found that the thread on one sidfe of the mount which accepts the Azimuth bolt is stripped, it hold in place just but slips when pushing against the alighment peg

what are my options?

The most practical way is to find brass inserts with the correct thread size ( as your existing thread ) , enlarge the stripped hole to the outside diameter of the inserts and then locktite ( industrial grade ) them in. As the AZ adjusters are  not load bearing the locktite should hold for ever. I am not too keen on rethreading soft Aluminium, the proper way is to use helicoils but I think this is an overkill.

A.G

This is a Helicoil set a bit over the top for just one hole, but your get the idea of how they work, there should be one with just your thread size quite a bit cheaper, cheaper still is to take up Andyukv's offer.....:)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BERGEN-Professional-Quality-Helicoil-BER2536/dp/B00CQN16K2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415220484&sr=8-1&keywords=helicoil+kit

Greetings

Are you anywhere near Mansfield Nottinghamshire, I got the gear here and can sort you in a matter of mins.

PM me if near and I can arrange a cup of tea :)

Andy 

Cheers for the offer Andy but im in London. id have no problem making that drive but i wont be able to do it this side of christmas.

i'll see how i get on next week and let you know.

Not far off, more like this but as I said it is a bit of an overkill. I do model engineering at times so I get carried away a bit.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/231231562607?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

Regards,

A.G

cheers guys

if thats the case can i not just get a thread die and go drill it out to M8 myself?

im going to wrap  the bolt in ptfe tape to get me through galloway but i'll need  to get it sorted

Helps if youve got a bench drill (or access to one) and something to clamp the part with, you need to be as accurate as possible.

While having both 'push east' and 'push west' bolts is convenient it is not absolutely necessary to polar align succesfully. You can set the mount somewhat too far to the side you can still push, have the bottom locknut tight enough to give a bit of friction and then push one way only, being careful not to overshoot. If you do overshoot you could always rotate the mount backwards by hand. Or you could, perhaps, insert some kind of lever into the system to heave the mount back in the direction not available from the stripped thread. 

Olly

While having both 'push east' and 'push west' bolts is convenient it is not absolutely necessary to polar align succesfully. You can set the mount somewhat too far to the side you can still push, have the bottom locknut tight enough to give a bit of friction and then push one way only, being careful not to overshoot. If you do overshoot you could always rotate the mount backwards by hand. Or you could, perhaps, insert some kind of lever into the system to heave the mount back in the direction not available from the stripped thread. 

Olly

That pretty much the plan for next week, after that i'll look at. I just dont have the time now before next week to get it done.

Thank you for all the suggesstions guys

Helicoil Thread Repair Kit  turned up today

Just finished the job and it works an absoloute treat, well pleased. In fact the bolt seems to be moving far more smoothly. :-) 

The kit was only £30 and i may never use it again but well worth it

Cheers again guys

Thank you for all the suggesstions guys

Helicoil Thread Repair Kit  turned up today

Just finished the job and it works an absoloute treat, well pleased. In fact the bolt seems to be moving far more smoothly. :-) 

The kit was only £30 and i may never use it again but well worth it

Cheers again guys

Hi good news!

If you weren't doing so before, mind you undo one bolt before tightening the other in future! Don't overtighten... :grin:

Louise

Archived