Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which magazine subscriptions

bomberbaz

Sky at night, all about space or atronomy now.

I like the three of them for different reasons but want to see what community opinion is of the differing publications before i commit to a subscription. My decision i know but i cant make my mind up so give me a prod

Steve

Definitely Astronomy Now for me over the S@N. The equipment reviews in AN are better, they don't try to give pointless 'scores' like S@N. The imaging master classes by Nik Szymanek are top notch. In my opinion AN is better for the enthusiastic observer or imager. I have never been tempted by all about space so cannot really comment on it.

Steve, I have Astronomy Now and Sky at Night... They are similar but I find Sky at Night a more pick up and go mag... Very easy reading and regular features.

Astronomy Now goes a little deeper and does have the great astro imaging section, which I shall spend time reading in depth when I retire next year and embark on imaging for real... If I had to choose one it would be 'Sky at Night'

Mind you, I keep all the issues and the piles are stacking up!

I generally prefer the forums rather than magazines.  More up to date, better priced and no systematic bias in the reviews.  That being said, I prefer AN and the US Sky & Telescope over S@N but having written for AN I do feel a sense of my own bias!!

Mark

I don't believe you do Olly, and your article in the April issue of AN on 'how to create a multiple imaging rig' is a great example of why I buy AN - an in depth article sharing the practical experiences of an expert - all too often I see articles in S&N which just seem to fillers. :)

It's Astronomy Now for me. I enjoy the detailed articles and articles for observers - which I feel have improved in recent issues.

I'm also a member of the SPA and the Webb Society and enjoy their journals too... don't know if they count as subscriptions.

James

I write for one of these mags and an SGL friend writes for the other one

Well, Olly and I are friends, I'm on SGL and I write for S @ N so it could be me!!

It is difficult not to dive in and comment on some of the stuff written in these constantly repeating threads but I somehow think nothing meaningful would be gained from doing so.

Does Olly sound like a teacher? I don't think so, he sounds like an enthusiast like me.

Do I repeat myself each month? I will repeat myself now - I subscribe to both magazines each month and easily find sufficient of interest in both to keep the subscriptions going year on year - different approaches to the subject perhaps but thank goodness for that!

Sent from my iPhone from somewhere dark .....

Steve and I have both insisted in the past that we are under no editorial pressure as reviewers. I believe him and I believe me, too!  If I recommend something that is disappointing to the customer what does that do for my main business which is serving the astronomical community? I'd have to be crazy. You may notice that I haven't written a damning review but that is largely because I don't accept assignments which I think are going to be a painful waste of time. Reveiws are hard work, disrupt the life of the observatories here but are worth doing if they look like being interesting and productive.

Anyway I've just accepted my hardest challenge to date so you'll have to see how objective you find when (if!) I ever get myself sorted out on this one...

Still thinking about how to make myself sound more sexy, though.  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Olly

I always enjoyed reading Sky and Telescope at one time, but  moved to Sky at Night when it had regular SGL members Images published.

on the Hotshots Pages.

Not often we see one these days. Not really sure why, I'm sure the Image  quality is still good enough.

Ron.

Archived