Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astronomy Magazines

Paranoidsam

I've been a subscriber to Sky At Night for a few years now, but lately I've been very disappointed with the content. Maybe its just me, but it seems ever more childish and less scientific....

I'm tempted to take out a sub for Astronomy Now, but I've never read a copy before...

Just wondered how it compares with Sky At Night... Is it more informative, in depth and scientific? Which is what I'm looking for...

Or, are there any other mags available in the UK that anyone can recommend?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both are fine but personally I subscribe to Astronomy Now, I like the format, always digest the observing sections, the science and contemporary science articles are in depth which I will also read or at least enjoy browsing through. My 12 month subscription has become an annual Birthday present from my Wife and Daughter great as as I get to enjoy an aspect of my birthday each month.

The American mags Sky & Telescope and Astronomy are usually available through W.H.Smiths. I haven't looked at Astronomy Now for many years and S@N was a disappointment 18 months age when I got a complimentary copy.

I get S&T by subscription. You can get a feel for the mags online at their respective web sites.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/

http://www.astronomy.com/

Nigel

I get both Astronomy Now and S@N, of the two I prefer Astronomy Now. I feel S@N is still relying on its connections , now gone, with Patrick Moore. Plus it tends to mainly use celebrity contributors (not a fan of Prof Cox) and too many pages of adverts for nothing to do with astronomy.

Once S@N subsicription expires I will for got Sky & Telescope. I used to gett eh Australian edition when I lived in Aus'.

Depending exactly where your interests lay you could try the free ezine (doantion an option) at www.amateurphotography.com or if you have a wide interest in science then maybe The New Scientist might be of interest. It obviously covers a wide range of science topics but often has items that are more astrophysics and astornomy related.

The only magazine I've ever purchased on a regular basis is S&T.

What I want from a publication is information that will make me a better amateur astronomer: techniques, equipment, features on interesting targets. I'm not so much interested in space, rockets, cosmology, exploration or astrophysics - just me, my telescopes, seeing and imaging stuff.

As a consequence I've got a subscription to the 6 issues a year https://www.astronomytechnologytoday.com/ that I can read online and is a very reasonable price. It also is dedicated to the things that interest me :hello2:. Otherwise I get everything else I need off the web.

Another vote for Astronomy Now. I've found of late that S @ N is a bit simplistic for my taste. Used to read S&T a lot back when it was the only astronomy mag available and I had to go into my local library to read it.

I get both Astronomy Now and S@N, of the two I prefer Astronomy Now. I feel S@N is still relying on its connections , now gone, with Patrick Moore. Plus it tends to mainly use celebrity contributors (not a fan of Prof Cox) and too many pages of adverts for nothing to do with astronomy.

Once S@N subsicription expires I will for got Sky & Telescope. I used to gett eh Australian edition when I lived in Aus'.

Yes, I`m inclined to agree; I too get both; `Astronomy Now` is certainly more in depth read and sometimes I have to skirt over certain articles as they are just too in depth for me unfortunately. I subscribe to S&N but wonder for how much longer; I mainly get it for the `Deep sky Chart` on the disc which I download and laminate.

I get Both S@N and Astronomy Now, and I agree that S@N Mag  just like the Tv show is becoming more and more dumbed down. I am also looking to cancel my Subscription to the S@N Mag at the end of this year, and move it to Astronomy Now. Since SPM passed away the BBC, my opinion, have become  determined to destroy the program.

I had a bargain with sky at night mag .

I took a subscription offer for 5 copies for £5. This was back in feb. I've long since cancelled the dd , however they still get delivered every month .

Bargain!

I've been a subscriber to Sky At Night for a few years now, but lately I've been very disappointed with the content. Maybe its just me, but it seems ever more childish and less scientific....

I'm tempted to take out a sub for Astronomy Now, but I've never read a copy before...

Just wondered how it compares with Sky At Night... Is it more informative, in depth and scientific? Which is what I'm looking for...

Or, are there any other mags available in the UK that anyone can recommend?

I agree, I think that over the last few months the S@N magazine has dumbed down quite a bit.

I had S@N subscription for a Christmas present a couple of years ago. I didn't re-subscribe for the reasons given above. Now I get S@N or Astronomy Now every so often. Usually when I'm waiting at an airport departure lounge. Of the two I prefer Astronomy Now, again for the reasons given above.

I get Both S@N and Astronomy Now, and I agree that S@N Mag  just like the Tv show is becoming more and more dumbed down. I am also looking to cancel my Subscription to the S@N Mag at the end of this year, and move it to Astronomy Now. Since SPM passed away the BBC, my opinion, have become  determined to destroy the program.

It seems to be since Patrick's death that things have gone a bit down hill...  I don't know how much input he had on the magazine though, besides his monthly article, and his Moonwatch column. 

Right now, the only thing that's encouraging me to renew the S@N subscription is the offer of two free books. 

I think I'll nip into Tesco this week and buy a copy of Astronomy Now, just to give it a go.

I too subscribe to Astronomy Now and Sky at Night Magazine.  I'd probably agree that AN is getting better and S@N perhaps not.  In particular AN has started taking an in depth view at a target each month (a bit about it, how to find it, observe it, image it etc.) which the US magazine Astronomy does too.  Also I enjoy Nik Szymanek's contributions, but that's coz I mostly image.

I have a little different view of the magazines (I'm in USA). I've subscribed for years to Astronomy and Sky & Telescope. I stopped reading Astronomy for several years, but resumed recently. I also read Sky At Night monthly, and I've read a few issues of Sky News (Canada) and Astronomy Now.

All the mags have a different feel to them, and they obviously have different columnists and contributors. To me, we are very fortunate to have such a wide selection. I think readers should subscribe to their favorite(s) and purchase some of the others occasionally just to see how they fit in to their own interests.

My own thoughts on the mags:

I've read S&T for many years and I'm very concerned about 3 editors having left over the last 3 months. I hope the new owners take care of business.

Astronomy has improved greatly in the past few years. I have a little trouble with the small font used for print, but I really enjoy reading it monthly.

Sky At Night has become a definite monthly read. I think the artwork is excellent, and the coverage of current science is more readable than the similar sections of Astronomy and S&T. I have a friend that is a theoretical physicist who votes Sky At Night his favorite, and he reads everything mentioned in this thread.

I think the take away is to try as many as you can, and subscribe to your favorite(s). Enjoy your astronomy reading whatever it may be!

I read them all !

They all have something to offer to our wonderful hobby / interest.

I have every copy of sky and telescope  even before it merged i.e. the sky and

the telescope. from the 1940's till date .

Before i subscibed i in the late 1970's  i used to eagarly wait for it to arrive in the reading room of my local central librarary.

S&T does encompass the history of amatuer astronomy the fads and foibles etc -- magazines do inspire and fuel the imagination.

I once read an article in the 1980's by one roland christian and thought one day i will have one of those refractors ,and now i do . 

I should try Astronomy Now again soon. I met some of the staff at NEAF in New York and they were fine folks indeed. I've had the good fortune to meet staff from Sky At Night, Sky & Telescope and Astronomy. They are all terrific folks - energetic, knowledgeable and so easy to talk with. Attending trade shows allows one to meet these folks and that is one of the reasons I enjoy going.

To the original poster - please pick up a copy of other magazines before changing your subscription. We are so fortunate to have so many fine publications, and each addresses different niches.

Something I ought to mention... I nearly started a separate thread for this, but it would be pointless.

S@N seems to have a lot of focus on astrophotography... Something that's never been of any real interest to me. Apart from the quick snap I took of the Moon that's now my profile picture...

My interest in astronomy has always been scientific, and I'm much more interested in observation, learning and recording, maybe some sketching too. So any mag that concentrates on this would be ideal.

Something I ought to mention... I nearly started a separate thread for this, but it would be pointless.

S@N seems to have a lot of focus on astrophotography... Something that's never been of any real interest to me. Apart from the quick snap I took of the Moon that's now my profile picture...

My interest in astronomy has always been scientific, and I'm much more interested in observation, learning and recording, maybe some sketching too. So any mag that concentrates on this would be ideal.

If you wish your interest to be strictly visual - for heaven's sake stay away from video gear and a telescope! It has been eloquently and accurately stated that once you see those little grey smudges rendered into glorious  full-colour, you're DOOMED! In our sit-at-home-push-buttons culture, I see the future of amateur-astronomy to be with screens and video-cams.

I'm not saying that I approve of this - I'm just being a realist.

Clear Skies,

Dave

I have some old copies (Feb 2012 to Feb 2013) that you are more than welcome to, if you'd like to try before you buy?

If you PM me your address I'll post them to you. :smiley:

Archived