Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice on neighbours with (in)security lights

kev100

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is a tricky one unlike a neighbor who you would be on friendly speaking terms with he probably sees you as some stranger coming onto his "manor" and telling to turn his lights off i think he has made his intentions clear just by putting them back on after the agreed time even though you were still viewing...... first time you caught him unprepared next time no doubt he will have a whole book of reasons why his precious light must stay on   just think you will need to find somewhere else  :sad:
Kev  

I'm quite friendly with my neighbour who has an exterior light which fully illuminates a 30 foot tree in their garden, most frustrating if I'm imaging to the east. In a conversation with said neighbour, I mentioned the light situation to see if a compromise could be arranged. She said "Oh I always keep the light off if I see your red light in the observatory". I didn't have the heart to tell her that I turn it off when imaging.

I guess I now need to fix a shielded red light to the outside of the obsy like an "in-use" sign.  :laugh:

That sounds fairly reasonable and sensible. However the phrase that jumped out was about lighting "Instilling a sense of security" (My italics) rather than security itself, which may be quite a different thing.

It all comes back to a post I made in the other thread here. Too much feel, not enough think.

I popped over and introduced myself, said what I was doing, and asked him if he wouldn't mind switching off the light for a while? 'How long' he replied (a little ill at ease), 'because we do like leaving it on because of the security ...'. 'A couple of hours?' I said. He was happy enough to do this (but didn't take up my offer of having a look through the scope as he was 'watching tv' ...). 

A nice offer to make if I was sitting there watching boring ol telly and a offer like that appeared at my door I would be over there like a rocket with a couple of mugs of tea and Jaffa cakes  

kev

Find out where he drinks and accidentally bump into him. Introduce yourself as the star watcher from the green and buy him a pint. Now most people know one or two planets and offer to show him Jupiter (he'll probably want to see Mars), most people would want to have a little look for a couple of minutes. Attack the problem of the light in a positive way ie: "it was so much better when your light was off" and not "your light ruins MY view".

Just get him to chat about it and over a pint or two try to come to a compromise. It will be easier to do on neutral territory rather than you knocking on his front door.

We are surrounded by direct light sources. Although these add to our light pollution, direct glare is easily fixed. I bought 8 extendable washing line poles and some big plastic clips. A scrounge around the attic and garage found several large dark throws.

Once these are attached to the poles they form a cosy area to observe from. Best thing being that new holes can be put in the garden and the whole log taken down at daybreak.

It's no good talking to my neighbours. They're all scared of the dark, bats and little green men

Nick.

I simply don't understand these fixed 'security' lights (sensor lights OK) but unless someone is vigilanlty sitting like a WW11 Corporal Jones, what's the point?

Watching TV, only means that he is not watching the garden, or green and won't even hear someone padding around the garden.

I'd much rather have a no-good, clattering around in the black and falling foul of a few well placed garden rakes and wheel barrows.

You, with your telescope, are probably the best security he could have, bad boys tend not to like being observed.

Hi all, and thanks for the great advice. I've actually made some progress on this (not directly just yet, but I'm slowly building support ...). I contacted the editor of the monthly parish newsletter and asked if I can do a monthly piece on astronomy (I've got something written already should he get back to me. I made contact with another chap in the village (elderly guy who hasn't looked through a scope since he was a teenager!), and he's keen to get out observing. Also, and I didn't know this, but the village has a dark sky committee already! They campaign to prevent any more street lights going up in the village! Amazing really. So, anyway, I've had a word with them and, some time soon I'll arrange an observing session, get some people along and show them the issue of security lights. I'll also make contact with the bloke who's house it is and try to get him on side too.

All positive so far   :smiley:

Kev

Although these add to our light pollution, direct glare is easily fixed. I bought 8 extendable washing line poles and some big plastic clips.

Nick.

Nice idea, Nick. When viewing from the roof top, I use colourful beach umbrellas to block out the glare from a couple of the street lamps. When I get the time, I'll take a couple of snap shots  :grin:   

Hi all, and thanks for the great advice. I've actually made some progress on this (not directly just yet, but I'm slowly building support ...). I contacted the editor of the monthly parish newsletter and asked if I can do a monthly piece on astronomy (I've got something written already should he get back to me. I made contact with another chap in the village (elderly guy who hasn't looked through a scope since he was a teenager!), and he's keen to get out observing. Also, and I didn't know this, but the village has a dark sky committee already! They campaign to prevent any more street lights going up in the village! Amazing really. So, anyway, I've had a word with them and, some time soon I'll arrange an observing session, get some people along and show them the issue of security lights. I'll also make contact with the bloke who's house it is and try to get him on side too.

All positive so far   :smiley:

Kev

Kev, that's excellent, well done for your positive action. The case of beer or tipple of choice would go a long way.

You did way more than I did in my previous location, I just whinged about it indoors...well, eventually moved. :D Hat's off to you, sir!

I just did a Google Earth on your village. You are surrounded by largely uninhabited farmland. I mean kilometers and kilometers of the stuff but yet you want to set up in the middle of your village? Drive around at night, find a land owner away from your village and take them a case of beer so you can set up in their driveway on occasion.

I just did a Google Earth on your village. You are surrounded by largely uninhabited farmland. I mean kilometers and kilometers of the stuff but yet you want to set up in the middle of your village? Drive around at night, find a land owner away from your village and take them a case of beer so you can set up in their driveway on occasion.

Hi Charles,

You're absolutely right, of course, but with the exception of this one light, right outside my door is as dark as I'm going to get anywhere. And its so convenient.

I will be researching a suitable spot away from the village, but I kinda resent having to do so because of some t**t who thinks its ok to flood a public space with his worry light.

:)

Well, for me to find a dark area would mean a good hour and a half journey given the size of London's light dome. With our uncertain weather we (In the UK) have to grab every minute we can so taking an hour or more's run on the off chance that it'll be clear when and where we end up is just not practicable.

So it largely means observing / imaging from the back garden and making the best of a bad job.

All positive so far :smiley:

Kev

Brilliant approach. As above, hats off.

Whenever I mention these security lights in conversation (not necessarily astronomy-centred) I always refer to them as 'burglar's friends'. I'm hoping to undermine confidence in them by subtle, psychological means. It's slow work, but if we al call them 'burglar's friends', then we may speed the process up a bit.  :smiley:

Hi,

There are laws regarding lights shining onto neighbouring properties, my neighbour has one but with an inbuilt P IR sensor, so as soon as I am out of the garden and into my warm room in the garage, then it goes off, so only a problem when they or me comes into our respective gardens, so it seems to work ok and have had no issues, as it is usually late at night when all are in bed....

But you need to check,out the laws about nuisance security lights at your local council offices or on there web site.

Regards and good luck

SS

Archived