Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M31 - EOS 5d MKIII & QUATTRO

Coco

Taken using EOS 5D MKIII un moddified and Quattro 8S with Baader MKIII reducer

59 x 2 minute subs @19 degrees

50 x flats @20 dregrees

20 x 2 minute darks 22 degrees

Stacked in Nebulosity 3 as Pixinsight kept bugging out and crashing..

Image brought into pixinsight for processing..

Photoshop for sharpening..

The posted images show more noise than my PS screen, I'm going to have to resolve this somehow.. :(

Thanks for looking

Stacked image here (warning 122 meg) : https://www.hightail.com/download/UlRSeVdnUzg1bmpOTzhUQw

0550c4f49fc5de7aad1c5be3ebc58de7.16536x1

cfa88507c20e0e57064e668e0598ea05.16536x1

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice detail especially in the crop - good to see what a FF camera can do on the Quattro :)

Like it...nice to see some 5D3 images...

I have got a 6000 mAH external Lipo  and dummy battery for mine which also has a "valid" ESN... works a treat ...  2 hours of use took it form 100% to about 80%...

Hoping to get a chance to point my 5DIII and the L's skyward this autumn/winter...

Peter...

Nice detail especially in the crop - good to see what a FF camera can do on the Quattro :)

Like it...nice to see some 5D3 images...

I have got a 6000 mAH external Lipo  and dummy battery for mine which also has a "valid" ESN... works a treat ...  2 hours of use took it form 100% to about 80%...

Hoping to get a chance to point my 5DIII and the L's skyward this autumn/winter...

Peter...

The genuine battery did the whole shabang .. I was very impressed.. :biggrin:

That's looking good Guy. If  you could get a bit more colour and reduce the green noise it would improve the image for sure but there is some excellent detail showing. 

Pete

It was a mixture of shear frustration, after spending 2 nights trying to stack  I should have rested and re visited the stack fresh minded.. feel free to play with the stacked article if you want? :grin:

Hi, that looks great!

The target is smack over the City or Preston, so you have done a very good job, I intend to re visit the data at some point, your image has definitely put it on a priority thing to do :)

• 6 months later...

Hi CoCo,

Great image. What autocollimator are you using to collimate this beast. It looks as the scope is very finely tuned.

Regards,

A.G

I gave up with Auto collimator's and laser, found Dions advanced collimation tutorial here:

Get the necessary kit together and your laughing, now I tweak using a 'barlow and laser' every now and again.. 

Good to see you back and an impressive result.

Olly

Thanks Olly, but is an old post brought up from Luis  :D

However I now have another Mono set up and waiting for clear skies :) 

I gave up with Auto collimator's and laser, found Dions advanced collimation tutorial here:

Get the necessary kit together and your laughing, now I tweak using a 'barlow and laser' every now and again.. 

Thanks Guy,

I have actually made a collimation tool with a webcam similar to the one from Dion but for me the most problematic bit is the secondary which never seems to be ideally placed. In the case of my 150 PDS it is always offset incorrectly no matter how much I pull it towards the front of the scope. It is so bad that for now I have given up any thoughts of using either the Quattro or the 150.

Regards,

A.G

Thanks Guy,

I have actually made a collimation tool with a webcam similar to the one from Dion but for me the most problematic bit is the secondary which never seems to be ideally placed. In the case of my 150 PDS it is always offset incorrectly no matter how much I pull it towards the front of the scope. It is so bad that for now I have given up any thoughts of using either the Quattro or the 150.

Regards,

A.G

The little Orion Optic VX6 was so far out I had to buy longer bolts, in my case the mirror was too near the spider, unfortunately the secondary is probably too small to use with a full frame camera CCD, however early samples show the collimation is now pin shap with star spikes very fine even with fat pixels on the 314L,  750mm/f5 + 314L should be a handy combo.

Archived