EQ Mount level'd on grass

Hi guy's I just have one question tonight and I have been pondering over it for awhile. Now for you astrophotographers, have anyone of you set up on a pitch of grass? Right now i'm in the phase of practising in the back garden were I have a concrete floor but in the future I hope to get out to Galloway.. So what's it like setting up in the grass? Does your mount eventually level off or do some of you need a piece of wooden board when you? 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only problem I've encountered on grass, especially this time of year, is that I get an awful lot of dew settling on the equipment after a couple of hours viewing, and within 3 hours it's on the objective lens. And that's with a dew shield. No problems with shifting or vibration though.

I set up on three heavy paving stones set into the ground now. But before this I used three sturdy wooden coasters, one under each leg. Worked a treat. Three small paving stones would do the trick nicely too.

I used to set up on an old ground sheet too. It was nicer to kneel on than damp grass for polar aligning.

PS when is someone going to design a polar alignment that doesn't require you to be a double jointed contortionist?

I use anti vibration pads which work dual purpose for this as it is annoying when your polar alignment gets wrecked by the mount shifting.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/misc/celestron-vibration-suppression-pads.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I nearly swallowed my tongue at the price! :shocked: Would washing machine ant-vibration pads do the same?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_14?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=anti%20vibration%20pads&sprefix=anti+vibration%2Caps%2C256

Alexxx

ive never had problem setting up on grass with 10 min subs :D

I use anti vibration pads which work dual purpose for this as it is annoying when your polar alignment gets wrecked by the mount shifting.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/misc/celestron-vibration-suppression-pads.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

holy misfit! how much....

When I set up on grass I giggle alot..Sorry, When I set up on grass, providing it's not a bog, then I don't use anything for the legs. In fact, I think gently forcing the legs into the grass makes it less likely to incure vibrations. I always assumed the pads were for setting up on concrete?

Well they are expensive but they also work.

Try setting up your mount for a long exposure then walk past it - star trails.

Now with the pads - no star trails.

I guess on very soft ground the vibrations won't travel so well and plant pots will be quite satisfactory ;)

The pads are also supposed to reduce the vibration time from when you touch the scope (focusing etc) but I haven't really noticed that since my scope is so little it doesn't wobble much anyway.

TSED70Q, iOptron Smart EQ pro, ASI-120MM, Finepix S5 pro.

The only time I really setup on grass is when I go to star parties. I solved this problem by getting three blocks of scrap wood that are 6 x 6 x 1 inch and drilled a 20 or 25mm hole in the centre of each one so that it was large enough to take the foot of my NEQ6. Stops the tripod sinking into the ground and ruining the polar alignment. I can leave everything setup for the duration of the star party. I have not even managed to get round to varnishing them.

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guy's I just have one question tonight and I have been pondering over it for awhile. Now for you astrophotographers, have anyone of you set up on a pitch of grass? Right now i'm in the phase of practising in the back garden were I have a concrete floor but in the future I hope to get out to Galloway.. So what's it like setting up in the grass? Does your mount eventually level off or do some of you need a piece of wooden board when you? 

Just put 3 pieces of thick plywood under the feet about 6" square . The pointed rubber end of the EQ tripods are not suitable for grass as they sink particularly during these damp evenings.

A.G

When I set up on grass, never had a real problem with tripod slipping.  If the grass is that soft (by the feel from my feet) I would probably go for a solid standing, if possible?

Hope this helps?

Peter

Archived