Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stephen Hawking : Master of the Universe

Paxo

Channel 4, Monday 3rd March at 9.00pm Stephen Hawking takes us through the first of a a two-part journey of the Universe and how are understanding has changed during his lifetime.

Don't know when the second part is, probably week Monday I guess.

Enjoy!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really enjoyed that :wink: Although had to put up with my missus and her daughters laughs of derision. (but they know nowt)

It wasn't TOO in depth and answered a couple of questions for me. e.g. the source of the radiation emitted from black holes. ( ref my post: http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,23132.0.html )

Nice to have a bit of decent TV to watch while it's cloudy and snowy outside.

Paul

How wonderful, if this very dedicated and courageous man, could eventually realize his ambition.

I thoroughly enjoyed that programme, and I look forward to the last part next week.

Such an interesting subject.

Ron. :wink:

Watched it also. Thought it was great, and explained a few things to me that I just couldn't get my head round, but that's just me being dense!! :shock: :)

The man as work very hard with both his medical and professional universal questions!

I couldn't help but feel peeeeeed off, that somebody as well recognised as him, has not yet been recognised for his contribution to this worlds understanding of the universer. Yet somebody like Rowling writes a few books and gets a *$^"*$^ OBE!!! :wink:

I personally think that pertition for a Knighthood should be started again!!!

James

I couldn't help but feel peeeeeed off, that somebody as well recognised as him, has not yet been recognised for his contribution to this worlds understanding of the universer. Yet somebody like Rowling writes a few books and gets a *$^"*$^ OBE!!! :wink:

I personally think that pertition for a Knighthood should be started again!!!

James

Professor Hawking has twelve honorary degrees, was awarded the CBE in 1982, and was made a Companion of Honour in 1989. He is the recipient of many awards, medals and prizes and is a Fellow of The Royal Society and a Member of the US National Academy of Sciences.

Honoured in Scientific terms but yet to get the public vote I think.

Steve

I think it made a pleasant change - A program on particle physics / cosmology tha DIDN'T include a whole host of weird visual effect, assorted bangs and whizzes and didn't present the character(s) as TOO eccentric. :wink:

In light of recent questions here, it illustrated black hole radiation rather well. Black holes ain't (necessarily) so black etc. Only slight quibble was re. the "penny orbiting on warped space". Fair enough, but the Earth ain't gonna collide with the sun in the forseeable future... rather (as we know) the Sun will eventually catch up with us! But then I've never quite understood how bodies in the solar system apparently SPIRAL in and out e.g. the Moon. I guess the "deity" got the initial velocities slightly wrong? :)

Just watched a recording, I think I understand better black holes and also I am more confused, it will take me another viewing or more to get it.

I did meet the man in the mid nineties through my work, unfortunately as a service engineer sorting out his comms equipment, I didn't have a proper chance to talk to him.

naz

The rigmarole I've just had to go through to get 4 on demand working so I can watch this programme. Why on earth can't they just do it the way the BBC does and not require a new media player is beyond me.

Anyway it's downloading at the moment so I suppose I'll be able to watch it in a couple of hours.

--

Martyn

The rigmarole I've just had to go through to get 4 on demand working so I can watch this programme. Why on earth can't they just do it the way the BBC does and not require a new media player is beyond me.

Anyway it's downloading at the moment so I suppose I'll be able to watch it in a couple of hours.

--

Martyn

Hi can you point me to the dl link pls?

Well C4 give you the option of watching programmes directly or downloading them onto your PC.

If downloads weren't encrypted it would give the unscrupulous the opportunity to "swap" files :wink:

--

Martyn

Archived