Greetings from Ross on Wye

vorgon

Hi everyone,

I am an absolute newbie to astronomy.  I've been (very casually) interested in the stars and space for a while, enjoying looking at the ISS and other satellites/space debris going overhead.

Recently, I bought my wife a telescope and we have been having lots of fun looking at the moon in greater detail.  The other night we managed to see Saturn, which was incredible - my first time seeing a planet that far out!

So at the moment, we're just waiting for clear skies and then we'll head out to find somewhere dark to see the stars from.  If anyone can recommend things to look for in the skies, I'd really appreciate it.  We're in the UK, near Ross on Wye.

Cheers,

Vorgon

Hi, Vorgon, and a warm welcome to SGL - and to the worlds of amateur astronomy!  If you haven't done already, I can recommend the free planetarium  'Stellarium' which many on here use to see what is out in the night sky, where things are and to plan a viewing session. The software  can be customised to your own location - and even to your scope/binoculars - giving you an idea of what you will be able to see at the eyepiece. Downloadable here: http://stellarium.org

Hope that helps,

Martin

Hi Vorgon and welcome to SGL, One of the most popular pieces of literature among newcomers to Astronomy is : "Turn Left At Orion"  this was written with the small telescope user in mind,  something both of you will find useful for your observing sessions, enjoy :)

Archived