Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello!

SixString_Chris

First post on this incredible community forum.  Yay!  I got my telescope (Carson RP-100, 76mm x 700mm) about 6 months ago, and am floored with how much I really enjoy stargazing!  I've been so excited that I can't wait to upgrade, but I found I am also getting VERY interested in astrophotography, bringing my (now) two favorite hobbies together and sharing my excitement and wonder at the universe around us.  I have very limited "means", so my equipment isn't the best (camera or scope), but I've got the bug and am working hard to have as much fun as I can.  :)

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum. As Sara has already mentioned, astrophotography is a different beast compared to everyday terrestrial photography. The type of object you wish to image will have an impact on the equipment that you will need to get, with solar system objects being the easiest to capture due to their brightness and deep sky objects (DSO's) being the most difficult due to their faintness which will require much longer exposures. It is natural to focus on the equipment first but we must not forget the amount of processing that needs to be done in order to turn the collected 'data' into the final image. There is a lot of software out there that is free to download but equally there are some very useful 'tools' that will also need to be purchased. Imaging doesn't have to be really expensive but having a healthy budget will help make it easier to maintain a certain accuracy and consistency when you are collecting that all important data.

There is a book by Steve Richards called "Making Every Photon Count" which I hope you can order from the states as it is an excellent book that will help inform you about what you need and why you need it. It is a very comprehensive guide that takes you through the different types of imaging that can be done and it will certainly help you save money by helping you to avoid buying the wrong kit - we don't want your first picture of a black hole being the one in your wallet!  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Clear skies and hope the above helps take you a little further on your imaging journey.

James

Archived