A Lurker de-Lurks

rolpol

Hello all,

I'm a middle-aged man from Surrey, (originally Dudley, but that's a long story), and I've been trying to convince myself not to by a telescope for about 4 or 5 years now.

I have been playing around with an old Canon DSLR for a few years, and particularly enjoyed night shots lit by streetlamps and car headlights, and had a how-could-I-have-been-so-stupid moment when I realised I could get stars into a shot if I could keep the shutter open beyond 15 seconds or so. I wanted a bit more reach, and ended up with a big Sigma 500mm lens so I could take Moon shots - but part of the search for more reach kept bringing me back to the telescope shop in my local town.

I resisted the urge, especially when the young chap in the shop told me I'd need to shell out about a grand for what I wanted to do, and that the instrument I'd need would barely fit in the back of my little car!

But now my eldest is at  the age when the questions get more and more difficult to answer, She starts Proper School in September, and I'm fully aware of my duties to ensure there's education going on at home. My wife is keen for us to pass on all the bits and pieces we learned along the way, things like playing guitar for me and painting for her. Then our litte girl starting asking about the planets...

Cool excuse, huh?! The years of telescope resistance were over!

So I called up my local Telescope shop, and asked a few questions, got a few answers I didn't like about price and function (a four year old isn't going to be able to wield an eight inch Dobsonian no mattter how precocious she is), then I started wandering around the internet and ended up here.

I did a LOT of lurking. I found out about what my expecations should be, and I found Quatermass' blog from here, which showed me why I should leave imaging well alone for the forseeable (the time and effort thing is just not possible right now), whilst simultaneously becoming a massive fanboy of the images in the blog. However the forum also helped me work out that I needed a portable 'scope that I would get some use out of despite work and kids and cloudy skies, and I narrowed it down to a couple of choices. I called my local shop, and they said they had something in stock, probably have it in two days time. Hmm, ok, I'll place the order.

Then I had a bit of a deeper look at the forum, and realised I'd make a different choice if the opportunity arose. Nothing major, but I was starting one hell of a wishlist. I saw a sig on a post here that made me chuckle; welcome to SGL, sorry about your wallet...

A couple of days later, no 'scope. I called the shop, Oh, it's still on order so 4-5 working days, for an item they had "in stock"? I cancelled the order, or at least tried to - you'll have to return it when it's delivered as it's coming direct from the warehouse. I was browsing FLO whilst I was on the call, so I was immune to the nonsense on the line. One quick question to FLO was answered equally quickly by Martin, then I was pressing Buy on an order for a Skywatcher Heritage 114 Virtuoso, and a couple of accessories. Talk about prompt delivery; I placed the order at one pm BST, and I was calibrating my red light finder less than 24 hours later. (And I'm still waiting for that 'Scope from the local shop to come so I can send it back)

So for the last three or four nights I have started my education in the night sky, ready for the autumn months when my daughter will want a quick peek at the moon or the stars before bedtime. It turns out I didn't really need that 8 inch Dobbo, or the super-sturdy equatorial mount and imaging equipment, nor the box of eyepieces or the computer guide to show me the sky. I could happily use all that stuff, but I don't need it. I saw a satellite traverse the view through my 25mm ep last night whilst I was wandering between the stars of Ursa Minor, and I was happy with my lot already; I am completely, totally, utterly hooked.

I am a middle-aged man from Surrey, and I feel like an excited child, thanks to Martin and all at FLO, and also thanks to everyone who has asked or answered a question on these forums.

Hi and welcome to SGL - What a super introduction :smiley: Great that you are trying to pass on your knowledge to your daughter, I can't help thinking that many parents these days only pass on examples of incessant ipad and computer use. You sound like you've made a good telescope choice - Not for me, I'm one of those imagers who have shelled a small fortune!!!

I hope that you enjoy your time here and really enjoy spending such quality time with your daughter - Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi Rolpol and welcome to SGL, I have read your introduction with interest, you now have a nice scope with tracking features that should give you and your Daughter some pleasurable views of the Heavens. I have a similar, rather old table top scope without tracking, which has proved to be most versatile over the years, as it travels anywhere. The major thing to remember, is not to overdo the magnification, keep it well within the limits of the instrument and you will achieve rewarding results. As a help to finding your way about the night sky, download the free program "Stellarium". Also for hard copy information  "Turn Left at Orion" is probably the most highly recommended book for small telescope users there is, an extremely useful guide, for experienced and the not so experienced observer, enjoy :)

Welcome. I think it's great that you will be able to indulge in this hobby AND pass on some knowledge and a sense of wonder to your daughter.

The only tuppence worth I can add is that you must enjoy what you're doing - don't get hung up on what you WISH you could do. Just have fun and share that with your lass.

Excellent introduction.  My son was my excuse, a little older than yours but he's a great excuse just the same!  Just be careful, the temptation to buy more hits fast (started with a second hand 80mm refractor, I have a 12" dobsonian coming on Tuesday, and am already looking at mounts for imaging -- all second hand though!).  It's a great hobby :-)

-simon

Archived