NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

a mobile observatory!!

iksobarg

I have just acquired an Iveco Daily long wheelbase high top van
it has a split cab with 4 seats in the back that will be used as a "Control Room" when I go Mobile to dark sites
I've also Acquired 2 x 3kw generators with long run tanks that will be used to supply 240v for the laptops and 12v output for the focuser etc

it means I can set the telescope up outside the van and run everything from the split cab and have a couple of airbeds in the back of the van

for somewhere to sleep or cook (microwave and small electric cooker)

hopefully we are heading up to Loch Doon which is in the Galloway Forest Dark sky area

I suspect mounting a scope inside a vehicle would be horribly unstable; every slightest movement by you would rock the vehicle

Thanks for pointing this out, however, where there's a will there's a way and I'm certain it could be overcome, and if not then yeah, just slide the door open and setup outside... and hope no one robs me...:S

I have just acquired an Iveco Daily long wheelbase high top van

it has a split cab with 4 seats in the back that will be used as a "Control Room" when I go Mobile to dark sites

I've also Acquired 2 x 3kw generators with long run tanks that will be used to supply 240v for the laptops and 12v output for the focuser etc

it means I can set the telescope up outside the van and run everything from the split cab and have a couple of airbeds in the back of the van

for somewhere to sleep or cook (microwave and small electric cooker)

hopefully we are heading up to Loch Doon which is in the Galloway Forest Dark sky area

I hated camping so much i bought a Motorhome to do just this, permenent PC and network on board with external USB & Power connections down a 10m run to where the scope lives in a toilet tent. This way all i do is pull up unload the scope.

I just don't see how you could have a permanent setup in a vehicle, even if you could stabilse it to stop it rocking on the suspension the vibrations through the van would be horrible, astro photography would deffo be out. My aim was to only have to take the scope out and put back, everything else lives in the van

How about one of these (may need very deep pockets though): http://portableobservatories.com/index.php

WOW but as you say deep pockets.... dont think id have the bottle to drive around with the scope upright though no matter how you secure it.

Nice smooth american highways on new suspension and a light year of space between you and the next lane is one thing but on the M6 just outside manchester........ No thanks :grin:

I know, throw down some heavy plywood bases and then lift it up and rest on some jack stands.

A bit of a production, I know.

Otherwise for observation, it shouldn't be too bad if you're by yourself or your partner is sleeping, not moving, or such.

I love this hobby so much I just daydream about it.

• 1 month later...

I built and installed a caravan mounted 22" F2 infrared telescope for the M.O.D. Three apertures in the floor allowed the tripod legs to extend through on to three concrete paving slabs, nothing in the caravan touched the instrument or mount and it was very stable.   :smiley:  

I was dreaming about a unfolding trailer like those compact trailer tents, modified with metal support struts - keep the monster dob in there at all times and just tow it to a site. Unfold the metal sides sides to create a platform, unfold the metal struts for stability and hopefully, reduce vibration....dream on...  :D

I built and installed a caravan mounted 22" F2 infrared telescope for the M.O.D. Three apertures in the floor allowed the tripod legs to extend through on to three concrete paving slabs, nothing in the caravan touched the instrument or mount and it was very stable.   :smiley:  

and you dare to not post a pic?

tsk, tsk! \o

Our youngest is about to turn three and my daughter is eight. I figure within the next few years we should pick up a nice older camper van that could suffice as a weekend observation warrior wagon and daily driver to work, which is only 19km one-way.

Archived