Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Why Cant I see M51 ??

Hey guys, i have a travelscope 70 and have been able to pick out Andromeda without too much troubly in the past few days but cannot seem to be able to view M51 ?? It is easier to find because the big dipper is quite high in the sky for me here and i know how to locate m51 but thats all i can see through my scope are 2 small stars ? 

the moon will really wash out galaxies

M51 is also face on which means the galaxy is much more diffuse and affected by light pollution (inc the moon) than side on galaxies like M31.

if your skies are dark then you should see M51 with your scope but it will be quite faint still.

Despite the whirlpools easy location in the sky it remains frequently elusive.  I can not see it with my 10inch reflector from my back garden in Bristol, and i am not surprised in hindsight to finding it in 50mm binoculars under very dark skies, it was very faint to say the least.  It has low surface brightness which is easily washed out by little light pollution.  It's distance does not help us.

Dark skies are needed as has been said plus it's quite a tough object to spot with 70mm of aperture. It's really not going to "jump out at you" even under dark skies to be honest but it can be seen as a pair of small and faintly glowing misty cores.

From my nearest observing spot (VLM5) it's doable in my 15x70 bins. Not easy but doable.

The darker the skies the better though.

Saw it recently using 110 refractor from a very dark site and then could only see the two cores, I blame all those imagers for raising our expectations  :grin: Dave

You'll need a smidge more aperture for pulling detail out of this object. Your 10" LX200 should do very nicely :)

I've seen the spiral structure in M51 quite clearly with a 12" scope from a dark site. From my moderately light polluted back garden I can almost see that structure with the same aperture but it needs averted vision to detect the traces of it.

From my nearest observing spot (VLM5) it's doable in my 15x70 bins. Not easy but doable.

The darker the skies the better though.

You'll need a smidge more aperture for pulling detail out of this object. Your 10" LX200 should do very nicely :)

Well I'm not taking that on holiday with me  :grin:

Dave

I saw M51 recently in my 11" Celestron. Just 2 very faint smudges of light. I only caught any detail when I put the CCD on & did a very quick exposure. This is a very rough 480 second exposure-unguided & very little post processing.

Despite the whirlpools easy location in the sky it remains frequently elusive.  I can not see it with my 10inch reflector from my back garden in Bristol, and i am not surprised in hindsight to finding it in 50mm binoculars under very dark skies, it was very faint to say the least.  It has low surface brightness which is easily washed out by little light pollution.  It's distance does not help us.

im also in bristol so would explain it then probably wait for a clear sky when the moon is not visible and head away from city light

Archived