NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC6888 - WIP

PhotoGav

Hello All,

I thought that I would share my current reason for staring at the screen for hours wondering if it is a complete dog's dinner or actually not too bad....

post-29321-0-67536900-1407538659_thumb.p

Details are:

Celestron EdgeHD 8" with 0.7x Reducer

QSI 683

14 x 1200s Ha

15 x 1200s OIII

I intend to add an RGB star layer, but the weather is intending otherwise...

I'm very new to this whole mono narrowband mullarkey and with every hour in front of the laptop I appreciate how fantastic some of the images posted on here really are. They look so easy... Reality is sooooo different!

I'm not sure where to go next with this, so please let me know what you think of it so far and all suggestions are greatly welcomed.

Thanks.

Thank you for the comments folks. Clear skies seem to have deserted us for now @PNJ, hopefully they'll be back after the full moon. Good call @Zakalwe, I will revisit the OIII data and be a little more aggressive with it. Here's hoping for some good nights again before too long to finish this one off.

I agree Sara, it has that SCT softness about it. I High Passed as much as I was brave enough too. Perhaps I just need to be a bit braver. However I think we are back to the fact that this is not a refractor and it shows... Begs several questions; why is an SCT a bit soft? What would be better at 1.5 to 2 m FL? Was my focussing just a bit off anyway?!

I found that processing with the SCT data was totally different than usual - It certainly needed much more sharpening than usual. There's little by way of alternatives, RC's really are the only viable affordable option for most folks.

Thank you Martin & Barry.

Stick with the scope you've got!!!!

Yes, I will not be spending any more money for a while!

I too find it difficult to know when to stop processing, to resist the urge to make one final tweak.  Looking at examples on the web can as often be a hindrance as a help, don't you find  :confused: .

Absolutely, it can be very distracting and disappointing when you go back to look at your version! Though also a great help when wondering if what you are pulling out in processing is 'meant to be like that'! As for never ending processing... It's more a case of running out of time than getting to a final version...

It was meant to be clear tonight, but the forecast has steadily deteriorated throughout the day and indeed, it's cloudy... So, I ended up fiddling with data again. I've been a bit more aggressive with the OIII layer, which has certainly brought out that envelope. It has compromised the Ha slightly, but I think it's an overall improvement.

post-29321-0-53308500-1407966267_thumb.p

Gav if you have PS CC with the shake reduction filter, up the artifact supression to arround 70% reduce the softening to around 20% and it does a good job of sharpening things up. Then a quick star mask and MT in PI just to tighten the stars up a little.

Had a quick play hope you dont mind.

There is probably a better way to do what i have done :)

post-6688-0-53314700-1408027132_thumb.pn

Archived