Hello from Exeter

Stardemon

Hi All,

I am new to this game but just treated myself to a Celestron CPC 925 with a few Luminos eye pieces 7mm and 23mm, Celestron 2.5mm and a 2.5 Luminos Barlow. I have bought an optional Star Sense Auto Align as well as I found trying to use sky align was causing me issues like failing constantly. I used this forum loads to get advice on what to buy for what etc, and I am really looking forward to seeing my first nebula as well as Saturn.

I have a couple of questions like how do I fit my 2.5 Barlow to my 1.25" Diagonal and also if I upgrade my 1.25 Diagonal to a 2" how would I fit that as my scope looks like it can only take a 1.25?

Have a great evening all and thanks in advance for any help with my questions.

SD

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and a warm welcome to SGL,that a great scope you have got yourself,the barlow is placed between the diagional and the eyepiece,and if you upgrade to a 2" diagional,make sure it is for a SCT it will screw directly onto your scope when you take off the threaded ring at the back of the scope.

Hope that makes sence. 

Paul

Hi, welcome to SGL :)

You might need to rethink some of your eyepieces. I have a C9.25 and my 7mm gets used very rarely. Mostly I stick to a 10mm maximum.

That 2.5mm you have gives x940!

Hi and a warm welcome to SGL,that a great scope you have got yourself,the barlow is placed between the diagional and the eyepiece,and if you upgrade to a 2" diagional,make sure it is for a SCT it will screw directly onto your scope when you take off the threaded ring at the back of the scope.

Hope that makes sence. 

Paul

Greetings Stardemon and welcome to SGL! That's a nice scope you have - I bought the 8" Celestron SCT a few months ago but after reading on this forum how good the 9.25" is, it makes me wonder if I should have saved up a little more dough and gone for the larger aperture but hey - you gotta start somewhere right?

This might not be the appropriate place to ask a technical question but I noticed Paul mc c stated the barlow should go between the diagonal & the eyepiece but I've been putting my barlow directly in the visual back - then placing the diagonal in the other end of the barlow - then the eyepiece in the top opening of the diagonal. I've been doing it this way because I'm experimenting with some solar system imaging (Neximage 5) & since I've heard you want to keep as much glass as possible out of the light path when imaging, I keep the eyepiece (8 mm since neximage is roughly equivalent to a 7mm EP) and diagonal together as a unit and then remove them and place the camera directly in the barlow when I'm ready to capture some video.

It seems like this has worked out well in terms of finding the right focus for the camera (my biggest challenge thus far) although I've had even more luck by placing the 8 mm EP directly in the barlow without using the diagonal at all. Just ordered a Televue 2.5X Powermate along with a TV Everbrite diagonal hoping to capture better video and thinking maybe the Powermate/Everbrite combination will be closer to parfocal with the camera because so far - using the stock Celestron barlow/diagonal combo with the 8 mm EP to focus prior to switching over doesn't get me as close to good camera focus as placing the 8 mm EP directly in the barlow that's in the visual back. The disadvantage of this of course is having to crouch down to get a "straight through" view of the object before switching over to capture the video.

Kinda got off topic there but suppose my real question is - does it really matter if the barlow is placed directly in the visual back ahead of the diagonal/eyepiece or should it be between the diagonal & eyepiece as suggested by Paul mc c?

Hope this makes sense but if not then no big deal since I probably should have posted this on the imaging forum anyway. The main thing I wanted to do is wish you good luck with your new scope and mention that SGL is definitely the right place to get some good advice from the pros...

Kind Regards To All,

Scorpius

Wow!! Of all the forums I am a member of this has to be the most warmest of welcomes I have ever received, and full of more useful advice as well. Much appreciated peeps thanks.

I have now ordered:

Baader Click-Lock 2" for Celestron & Meade SCT

Baader ClickLock 2" DiElectric Star Diagonal

and Baader ClickLock 2" DiElectric Star Diagonal

Think I am spent out now, just hope I get to see some great things.

Archived