SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Arduino Ascom focuser Mark2

tekkydave

Well that didn't take long, must make sure to save this version in case I need to do it again, don't you just love computers  :grin:

Don't know why the installer didn't work unless it's a Bootcamp thing

Dave

post-21198-0-22809300-1429650603_thumb.p

Edited by Davey-T
  • Like 2

Hi guys,

Modded AAF 2.4 with ASCOM and manual capabilities with rotary encoder for fine movement, and push buttons to fast movement,

Intergated a 1602 LCD with temp and movement display.  (Red LCD ordered and on the way)

Rotary step count is working, but push button step count is under development :)

LCD is not needed if using with ascom and laptop, but in manually use is helpful...

Cheers,

A.

• Like 2

Hi guys,

Modded AAF 2.4 with ASCOM and manual capabilities with rotary encoder for fine movement, and push buttons to fast movement,

Intergated a 1602 LCD with temp and movement display.  (Red LCD ordered and on the way)

Rotary step count is working, but push button step count is under development :)

LCD is not needed if using with ascom and laptop, but in manually use is helpful...

Cheers,

A.

Very interesting development of this project - I'm continually slipping the belt of my motor to change focus position for EP's (star test), different barlow's and extensions.   I like the idea of having everything connected to the computer under Ascom, but still being able to control this from a project box with the rotary encoder and/or push buttons.   Any chance of a heads up on your sketch and wiring mods for this?

Very interesting development of this project - I'm continually slipping the belt of my motor to change focus position for EP's (star test), different barlow's and extensions.   I like the idea of having everything connected to the computer under Ascom, but still being able to control this from a project box with the rotary encoder and/or push buttons.   Any chance of a heads up on your sketch and wiring mods for this?

Yes of course, when development and final version is done.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Cheers,

A.

Fantastic,  good work and I like the cable tie  :smiley:  :smiley:

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Cheers,

A.

I like that - good job. Similar to my Mark1 focuser but I didn't have the lcd or temperature.

Tried with / without quotes earlier but will have another try :)

Still get same error message, like it can't find the path

If I put the qoutes  in it removes them and puts in single ones when it runs ?

Dave

attachicon.gifAAF2-7.PNG

You're missing a \ in this post. Look at the path name between x86 and ASCOM, there should be a \ in there: i.e. (x86)\ASCOM

Hope that helps. 

You're missing a \ in this post. Look at the path name between x86 and ASCOM, there should be a \ in there: i.e. (x86)\ASCOM

Hope that helps. 

Managed to get all my ducks in a row eventually see #701, thanks

Dave

Not sure what's going on now, uninstalled and reinstalled AAF2, manually registered driver OK but now AAF2 doesn't appear in the drop down list or ASCOM profile explorer when it did before.

Uninstalled and reinstalled on another laptop and it works, could it be something to do with this being a Bootcamp partition on Mac Book pro ?

Dave

Not sure what's going on now, uninstalled and reinstalled AAF2, manually registered driver OK but now AAF2 doesn't appear in the drop down list or ASCOM profile explorer when it did before.

Uninstalled and reinstalled on another laptop and it works, could it be something to do with this being a Bootcamp partition on Mac Book pro ?

Dave

I suspect that may be the issue. You seem to be having issues that no-one else is experiencing.

Thanks for the feedback. I dont have SG-Pro so it would be difficult for me to test. I'll have a more detailed look at the trace files. Which version were you using previously with SG-Pro?

Hello Dave,

I am (almost) afraid to ask: Did you have a chance/time to look at the trace files I had sent earlier? There appear to be some "halt" commands and "isMoving" replies in the case of SG-Pro operation that do not appear in the trace files from your own code(s).

I still have the same problems - controlling the focuser from SG-Pro does not seem to work reliably. I think that I observed that in the beginning the focuser moves, but then SG-Pro does not even display the poition anymore (it stays stuck in the first position it had read when initializing).

Is there something I could do on my end to help you figuring out what is going on/wrong (for example a simple test for focuser movement in a) FocusAAF2 and B) in SG-Pro)?  I tried to understand the ASCOM driver (developer) part, but I got lost in the many details of the code.

I really would like to get AAF2 working together with SG-Pro (again, since it used to work fine a few weeks ago before the AAF2 upgrades from V2.3 to 2.4), because then I can just choose a filter, and SG-Pro would adjust the focuser position automatically. Also autofocusing, even  with temperature compensation would be possible.

Please let me know how I could help!

Thanks in advance,

Helmar

Hello Dave,

I am (almost) afraid to ask: Did you have a chance/time to look at the trace files I had sent earlier? There appear to be some "halt" commands and "isMoving" replies in the case of SG-Pro operation that do not appear in the trace files from your own code(s).

I still have the same problems - controlling the focuser from SG-Pro does not seem to work reliably. I think that I observed that in the beginning the focuser moves, but then SG-Pro does not even display the poition anymore (it stays stuck in the first position it had read when initializing).

Is there something I could do on my end to help you figuring out what is going on/wrong (for example a simple test for focuser movement in a) FocusAAF2 and B) in SG-Pro)? I tried to understand the ASCOM driver (developer) part, but I got lost in the many details of the code.

I really would like to get AAF2 working together with SG-Pro (again, since it used to work fine a few weeks ago before the AAF2 upgrades from V2.3 to 2.4), because then I can just choose a filter, and SG-Pro would adjust the focuser position automatically. Also autofocusing, even with temperature compensation would be possible.

Please let me know how I could help!

Thanks in advance,

Helmar

Sorry Helmar I haven't had time so far. It's been a busy few weeks and I only get chance to do anything for the project occasionally. I'll take a look as soon as I can. If you put V2.3 back does it work ok? One thing you could test is just put the V2.3 sketch on the Arduino but leave the V2.4 driver and applications installed. It should be ok as the changes to the sketch are purely internal.

I wonder if there are any differences with the Uno as most people use a Nano for size. Is anyone else using a Uno with V2.4.0

Edited by tekkydave

• 2 weeks later...

Dave,

I am thinking to support 2nd focuser with Arduino, but I am stuck with ASCOM driver, do you have any experience with ASCOM local server?

I posted a question on ASCOM group but did not receive any reply.

I'm,afraid not. The AAF2 project was my first foray into ASCOM.

Hey Dave been speed reading this since the last time i look at the post.

My focuser is completed and working using the original SGL documentation and the stand alone software and all is working fine.

I have tried uploading the sketch and it does upload and the software installs fine however its not working. I think the problem is my setup uses the Nano which connects to an easy stepper board via 3 pins and that in turn connects to a 4 wire stepper motor.

I don't know where to ammend the pins to tell the software or if its even that simple to change.

Any Ideas

Heres my focuser on the MAK

Great work by the way

post-9689-0-67433900-1431197893_thumb.jp

Hey Dave been speed reading this since the last time i look at the post.

My focuser is completed and working using the original SGL documentation and the stand alone software and all is working fine.

I have tried uploading the sketch and it does upload and the software installs fine however its not working. I think the problem is my setup uses the Nano which connects to an easy stepper board via 3 pins and that in turn connects to a 4 wire stepper motor.

I don't know where to ammend the pins to tell the software or if its even that simple to change.

Any Ideas

Heres my focuser on the MAK

Great work by the way

Nice mounting method - I might try that myself. I think someone else who built one used the easy stepper board but I can't remember who. You need to amend clockwise() and anticlockwise() functions to drive the direction and  step pins if I remember correctly. I'll have a search to see if I can find it.

Edited by tekkydave

That's interesting - I've been looking for 12v stepper motors as something more powerful than the tiny ones I use for focussing but taking less current than the mostly 3-5v NEMA 17 types :)