Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Arduino Ascom focuser Mark2

tekkydave

You could try increasing this value from 2000 to say 3000 and see if that improves it. It could be that the delay is just too small. If it works then have a play and see what the lowest value is that works for you.

const int     motorSpeedHi = 2000;             // Motor step delay for Hi speed (uS)

• 2 weeks later...

tried it out last night works perfectly got the lowest fwhm ever considering it was windy , i just used the aaf2 program next is to try a autofocusing program

thanks 

mark

• 2 weeks later...

Got the electronics for the first one assembled and working with the test program, but trying to  connect to it from Nebulosity throws this error when I select Properties... any ideas?

attachicon.gifascom_error.PNG

The driver has not registered correctly. This sometimes happens, there is a workround on my SF page here: https://sourceforge.net/p/arduinoascomfocuser/wiki/Manual%20Driver%20Registration/

The driver has not registered correctly. This sometimes happens, there is a workround on my SF page here: https://sourceforge.net/p/arduinoascomfocuser/wiki/Manual%20Driver%20Registration/

Hi Dave, I had to do the registration to get your tool to see it, but Neb throws the error. No biggie, I can just use your controls.

Hi Dave, I had to do the registration to get your tool to see it, but Neb throws the error. No biggie, I can just use your controls.

If my test program works ok then the driver is correctly registered. Must be an issue with Nebulosity. Can you load the Focuser Simulator driver or any other Ascom drivers from Neb?

I'd like to try putting one of these together. As others have stated, a gaze in the direction of my mount would likely cause it to shake. Having an ascom driven focuser would likely help me to achieve better focus than I can manually.

The only problem, I don't know where to purchase the gears and belt. Does anyone have any recommendations for a Canadian source?

The only problem, I don't know where to purchase the gears and belt. Does anyone have any recommendations for a Canadian source?

I would look on eBay, the smaller gear 20tooth is quite common and used in 3D printers, you may find belts and other gears.  good luck.

this is a great project...I finally retired from my job as an embedded systems programmer and have been eyeing up my old newtonian..an autofocuser looks like it might be a great start project. I was always hesitant about using the arduino, guess it was just an unfounded bias by those of us who who felt we had to start from scratch..but since playing with the arduino and raspberry pi I decided life it too short to keep redesigning hardware...lol...so plans are a small stepper on the focuser knob, some sort of arduino, and a control cable to start, maybe go wireless later.

I'll keep you posted..

Brian K9WIS

• Like 1

this is a great project...I finally retired from my job as an embedded systems programmer and have been eyeing up my old newtonian..an autofocuser looks like it might be a great start project. I was always hesitant about using the arduino, guess it was just an unfounded bias by those of us who who felt we had to start from scratch..but since playing with the arduino and raspberry pi I decided life it too short to keep redesigning hardware...lol...so plans are a small stepper on the focuser knob, some sort of arduino, and a control cable to start, maybe go wireless later.

I'll keep you posted..

Brian K9WIS

I started the project partly to learn about Arduinos as well as the Astronomy & Ascom aspects. I never expected so many others to build it too. Good luck.

All the great people on SGL who have built the focuser so far:

Dave_D

Baffa

wuthton

Mick J

russellhq

mindburner

Davey-T

iwannabswiss

silios

SUNJiaLin

blackdragon72