Hello from Summerville, SC

kg4kpg

I've joind a few astronomy forums this week so I decided t copy and paste this time. My name is Chris and I'm sure like many here, my two inispirations for interest in astronomy are my Carl Sagan, and my dad, for watching Cosmos with me when I was a kid back in the old days. I'm not real fond of the new version with Dr. Tyson although I've enjoyed a couple episodes. Anyway, I grew up looking through beat-up old refractor telescopes but never had anything bigger than 60mm. Most everything I've ever really seen was in book or television. My saving grace was when I discovered Astronomy Picture of the Day, I love seeing a new image when I get to work every day. A couple years ago I decided to take advantage of my VA education benefits and went back to school at the ripe old age of 46. I'm studying Computer Science but I knew from the beginning one of my electives would be astronomy. It was only available online so all of our assignments are discussions and exams, no sky watching as a class. Last Friday I was able to meet a classmate at the Daniel Observatory at the Roper Mountain science Center in Greenville, SC. We got to check out some lunar craters with their 23" Great Refractor (pic attached hopefully). After that, went outside and got a look at Saturn on an Orion XT8. A fun night for sure. Today I bought an XT8 that is missing the mount. Hopefully I can build a replacement before our class ends so I can get some of my local Charleston classmates on it while we still have Mars and Saturn high in the sky, along with whatever else we can zero-in on. I've always wanted a Dob and glad I got the deal I did. I don't mind a little work to get it up to spec.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived