Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Observatory Build

Soupy

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interesting thread indeed. Well worth the read & I have felt for you at every obstacle you have encountered. Only a little more effort required now and you'll be in the realms of Observatorydom ( well I now it's not actually a word, but it sounds good :grin: )

Steve

Thanks for the words of support fellas... Going on hols today so unfortunately no work on the Obsy for the immediate future, and prob very little posting, wife doesn't like incurring roaming costs. But hopefully I can try to get the ring ordered so can get back to it as soon as I get back! :)

Thanks for the words of support fellas... Going on hols today so unfortunately no work on the Obsy for the immediate future, and prob very little posting, wife doesn't like incurring roaming costs. But hopefully I can try to get the ring ordered so can get back to it as soon as I get back! :)

Soupy, the Observatory fairies may have installed it by the time you get back....

maybe not :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Right back from hols and no Obsy fairies have been so I am still gonna have to do it myself (and with a little help from my WADAS mates) ;)

Have ordered a metal ring from a local metal fabricators, same diameter as the bottom of the Obsy so I can align up the rollers before attempting another dome lift. They have turned out cheaper than I thought it would be, it should be ready for end of the week. So have a few days to sort out a few other bits and bobs before hopefully a second and this time successful dome install!

If anyone ever needs a metal ring rolling the standard steel bar it is rolled from is 8mm x 25mm. They work on shapes so I have ordered a band rather than a washer as I gathered that depths and widths were a bit mixed up and not what I thought.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fascinating read Soupy. Well done with the build. I've been so preoccupied with my own home-made dome build, I've not seen what others are doing. I've run into a problem with the main shutter but seeing your dome pictures has given me an idea which may solve my issue. Thanks.

John

Sorry for not doing more posting but I have run into a small dilemma... And would love some input into your collective thoughts.

I have bought a new holiday home in one of the darkest sites in UK. Kielder forest. The skies are amazing as I am sure most of you know and I will be there most weekends as well as school holidays (I'm a teacher :) ). My dilemma is whether or not to continue with the Obsy build here in Yorkshire or go for a complete reshuffle and move the entire structure up to Kielder and rebuild it there I have plenty of space to do this up there. The biggest issue is transporting the dome which is wider than normal roads so might be a big cost transporting it 160 miles but once up there it will get used as long as I am there (which is 13 weeks of the year not counting weekends) and it's clear ;)

What do you think?

Oh the other problem is having some mates around to help with the hard work again, sorting out the walls then lifting the dome. My WADAS mates have been amazing up to press with helping out, and I'm sure if I can organise a weekend away at house then it might be a little payback for them and incentive to help with the hard work and lifting again? ;)

Love the thinking Tinker... Didn't think of that one, would just have to get it past the misses first though. I could also just build an outside pier in Kielder so I would only have to take one of the scopes up instead of the tripod etc... Then just plonk it onto the pier and not have to worry about set up too much. :)

If it helps I have a holiday retreat under dark skies and like you spend a lot of time their in the summer and weekends but during the winter we don't go as much . I have found that because of this I still do most observing at home . If you spend less time in the winter at your holiday home I would leave the obsey at home and either get some grab and go gear or set up a permanent pier, if you use your holiday home in the summer I think I would prefer to be in the open air , let's face it at a real dark site you don't even need a scope :-) .

Paul,

As soon as I saw those stunning skies at your place in Kiielder, I just knew this question would arise,

Transporting that dome into that property in one piece, will be a headache,  it snot the betting it up there that's the issues, am sure a truck would get in there, but getting it out again, nowhere to turn it around,  was bad enough in my transit remember that got stuck both times lol

Leigh,

Paul,

As soon as I saw those stunning skies at your place in Kiielder, I just knew this question would arise,

Transporting that dome into that property in one piece, will be a headache, it snot the betting it up there that's the issues, am sure a truck would get in there, but getting it out again, nowhere to turn it around, was bad enough in my transit remember that got stuck both times lol

Leigh,

I did think the same as leigh when you bought the place soupy.

I think fish has a good point and Keilder could be well snow bound in winter and really difficult to get to?

Maybe a pier in the grounds and as leigh says convert the barn with all the cabling run back to there.

I did think the same as leigh when you bought the place soupy.

I think fish has a good point and Keilder could be well snow bound in winter and really difficult to get to?

Maybe a pier in the grounds and as leigh says convert the barn with all the cabling run back to there.

I was meaning convert part of the barn roof into an obsy,

Archived