Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Observatory Build

Soupy

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did a little more digging on the outside foundations today, but after yesterday's hard graft I didn't last too long. I intend to get the concrete in this week and the side panels for the Obsy will be collected next Saturday. They are 6'6ft x 2'ft concrete garage panels and there are 15 of them so will take a few trips.

I am thinking of grinding off the bottom 12 inches in order to make sure the whole structure with the dome on top comes in on 3m. They will hopefully be put onto a 300mm foundation which will be in the foundation trench which I intend to have 600mm deep. That should make the panels 4'6ft above ground level and with the dome and fixings on top another 5'4ft ish, the whole structure should come out at 9'10ft, just below the 3m mark with a little room for error and hopefully safe from the planning police! ;)

Hope my maths is right and sorry for confusing anybody switching from feet to meters and back again.

Trench finished ,it is not quite to depth but not far off and deep enough to take the load I feel. Cement and ballast arriving tomorrow and some mates coming to help mix and pour concrete for the foundations. Also acquired threaded pier bars today M12 gauge x 500mm have bent the ends over so they anchor into the concrete when it is poured. Just going out to make a pier template. Tomorrow night pouring the concrete foundations feels like the point of no return, hopefully all my measurements are right and it all fits in together!

Well after a very trying night I have managed to get the pier foundations and concrete pier plinth completed thanks to Matt for his help here are some pics...

Pier box built and in position leveled and ready for concrete pour.

post-22085-0-67884900-1403126642_thumb.j

post-22085-0-71303900-1403126714_thumb.j

After a couple of hours work we finally filled the hole and then the box... A few scary moments as one side started to bulge but managed to save it and brace it... Just hope it holds until the concrete cures.

post-22085-0-40450200-1403126819_thumb.j

With pier bolts bent and in the former ready for inserting into the new plinth.

post-22085-0-96699300-1403126912_thumb.j

In it goes... This is a bit nerve racking making sure it is all in the right place but looking good so far

post-22085-0-60941000-1403126964_thumb.j

Smoothing out the concrete before pushing it all home

post-22085-0-24115400-1403127026_thumb.j

It's finally in. There is still a little movement but I hope this will subside once the concrete starts to cure and harden then I hope that it will be as solid as I need. Matt thinks I am just being paranoid, I probably am but I know how heavy the mount is :)

post-22085-0-46095800-1403127060_thumb.j

Now to give it a few days and see what happens.

Cheers Jeremy... I know you would have come across to help if you could have mate. We were waiting for the mixer to get the concrete mixed so not sure if any more bodies would have speeded it up any anyway. I was hoping to get the rest of the foundations poured but things take longer than expected... Should have listened to Damian :)

Thanks Damian... But it did take longer than I thought, I am now hoping to pour the rest of the foundations Friday night so it won't be ready for the panels until next weekend, puts me back a week but hey ho... :)

Did a little more digging on the outside foundations today, but after yesterday's hard graft I didn't last too long. I intend to get the concrete in this week and the side panels for the Obsy will be collected next Saturday. They are 6'6ft x 2'ft concrete garage panels and there are 15 of them so will take a few trips.

I am thinking of grinding off the bottom 12 inches in order to make sure the whole structure with the dome on top comes in on 3m. They will hopefully be put onto a 300mm foundation which will be in the foundation trench which I intend to have 600mm deep. That should make the panels 4'6ft above ground level and with the dome and fixings on top another 5'4ft ish, the whole structure should come out at 9'10ft, just below the 3m mark with a little room for error and hopefully safe from the planning police! ;)

Hope my maths is right and sorry for confusing anybody switching from feet to meters and back again.

Grinding the concrete panels is going to be a tough job, i doubt a diy 9" grinder will do it, hired grinder with a diamond blade will be better but how the blade will cope with the steel bars normally inserted in the concrete panel (they may not have any) might cause problems, i think i would place the uncut panels in the ground and mount the dome on top, once the height is right pour the concrete inside and outside the concrete panels, sorry if i have missed something that doesn't make this possible....

That was my idea Tinker... I was going to chisel them out then grind them, but I have little experience of this so will try the grinder on one of the panels that is already cracked see what happens. They are steel reinforced as you said so yes this is going to be difficult. If it doesn't work I might resort to what you say and concrete both sides of the panel just to secure them in the ground :)

Concrete is curing nicely and is solid so pleased with the pier so far. I still have it boxed up don't want to remove it too soon. Last trip to Barnsley to pick up the concrete side panels today then the construction can begin in earnest. :)

Next stage complete. All panels picked up from Barnsley with help from Leigh Robin and Matt. Safely transported across and now in garden :)

post-22085-0-44262400-1403372020_thumb.j

Went for an ice cream, but Matt decided to stay to start the foundations, came back and we both then finished them off... Pleased with the result. Now just awaiting them to cure a little, prob a week or so before setting panels on them then filling in behind the panels to secure them somewhat.

post-22085-0-85980600-1403372138_thumb.j

post-22085-0-88516300-1403372165_thumb.j

post-22085-0-56373000-1403372195_thumb.j

Yes red dwarf they are straight panels the nuts to hold them are bent to help them take the shape of a circle. It's not perfect but there are 15 panels to help make the circular shape and it has worked where it was so I am confident it should work here. :)

Unfortunately due to work commitments this week I can't do anything on the build until the weekend. But hopefully the foundations will be well set and the panels will be ready for cutting and erecting... Here's hoping anyway. :)

Have tried the pier on the concrete plinth tonight... It fits perfectly! Happy days. It juts out a little on the north side but this is purely cosmetic the structure is strong enough... Have a quick look. It has some adjustment bolts on the top of the pier for levelling and I will also put some more bolts under the pier to also level it off just to be sure. ;)

post-22085-0-05271400-1403643459_thumb.j

post-22085-0-87728500-1403643495_thumb.j

post-22085-0-88807000-1403643562_thumb.j

Was just thinking the little overhang will also enable me to build a little boxed off section below it to house the electrics and mount a socket... Every cloud has a silver lining. :)

I am quite impressed the bolts line up perfectly Jeremy. I was a little worried at one stage as the bolt holes only seem to line up square in one direction so any slight bit out and the pier would not sit on the plinth in the correct northern alignment... But I did it right so I am a very happy bunny. :)

Archived