NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Observatory Build

Soupy

Cheers Rapidray. The walls were a right pain, trying to get the correct circular structure from straight walls, not sure if I would go that way again if I ever had to build another, but they do look pretty good, and they are solid as well.

As for the inside, once it's finished and the dome is up and weather tight I will be taking my time over that as that can be done in any weather. I'm just looking forward to getting the scope in there ;)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plant another tree somewhere not in your fov to keep the tree (and bee) lovers happy. We had tree bees in our birdbox this year but they seem to have disappeared too. Apparently the colony dies apart from virgin drones & queens who wander off to find mates. The fertilized queens hibernate over winter then start a new colony in a different location in the spring.

Next stage set for the weekend i hope. Fitting the ring with the rollers onto the walls, so I can then set the base in concrete ready for the final lift of the dome next week some time. I just hope the ring fits OK otherwise the skies might be turning very blue around the Obsy ;)

Managed to get the ring with the rollers up today thanks to Matt and Robin. Not sure if it will all fit with the dome yet so have to call a few favours in for Wednesday night see if I can get 6/7 of us to lift the dome into place see if it all works. We used some cable ties to secure the temporary plastic bags over the rollers to keep the rain out. Good job we did as it threw it down later!

post-22085-0-88508800-1405200627_thumb.j

post-22085-0-55278600-1405200652_thumb.j

post-22085-0-38387600-1405200665_thumb.j

Cheers Damian still got some big issues to overcome, like if the ring is circular enough for the dome, once that's done then I hope everything else will, not literally, fall into place! You'll have to pop across scan your eye over it, want to get the dome up before Friday, but not sure if it will happen.

Still working on Gains scope and my mirror too, had to go back down the grits to get the deep scratches out and now back to the fine 600grit 9micron to polish out, Crash has moved onto the pitch lap which is the next stage for me but he's had a few problem's so going backwards like I have.

Will see everyone Thursday as I'm off now ;-)

Started to rain but then cleared so we went for it. Got it up!

subepa9u.jpg

5uvyge6u.jpg

However our measurements were not entirely right and the dome was overhanging by a little on the North side. :(

Gonna now have to get a metal ring fabricated 3.06m so I know the dome will fit.

Archived