NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Observatory Build

Soupy

Cheers Damian. I might try take the boxing off later and bolt it together with the yolk see how it looks and what height it stands as this will influence my decision on cutting down the side panels.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just remembered I had a mixer I gave to father in law a few years ago he still has it so will pick it up this week, will save me some time and money I think and I can work at my own pace when I get it.

I think I'll take your advice Mike and get at least that amount, will shop around to see where is cheapest, but on Internet Wickes seems to be coming out top at the minute. What mix sand to cement did you use?

Hi Soupy, I used about 4 to one, I never do know exactly what the ratio is but the two maxi bags of ballast used up 11 bags of cement. i think the bill was circa £175 with delivery.

I went the buy a mixer route for the same reason you are retrieving your from pator; it gave me time to take my time what with hospital appointments and chemo and I never knew how i was going to feel. In the end all went well and we did the pier box and base over 3 days. I did set the pier wrong (approx 15 degrees OUCH) and had to redrill my base plate, or at least Tinker1947 did!! I guess the all of the metal upset the compass but all good and polar aligned now.

Enjoy the process

Regards

Mike

Thanks Mike, the cement bags said 4 to 1 so I went with that. I had 15 bags and now have 8 left, which should now be enough to fill in around my Obsy walls. The plinth is pretty much aligned north and the pier has the ability to adjust so I am happy with the positioning.

Right I have bitten the bullet tonight and removed the boxing in from the concrete pier... I am pretty pleased with the results. There are some bits of the boxing in that didn't want to come away from the ground (must have concreted too close to it ;) ) so I have broken these off as low to the ground as I could and will file them down at a later stage.

Will just upload the pics and post

Haven't managed to try the yoke on the top of the pier but this is how it will look once bolted in place... Obviously there will be some washers and a couple of nuts between the base of the pier and the top of the plinth, but you get the idea

post-22085-0-62202400-1403733851_thumb.j

post-22085-0-76141600-1403733865_thumb.j

post-22085-0-48638700-1403733877_thumb.j

post-22085-0-81206300-1403733889_thumb.j

Cheers Mike, gonna have to try the side panels soon, I am itching to get them up, but been a very busy few days and more to come so not looking like its gonna happen soon, maybe Sunday or perish the thought next week! :(

Have tried to grind down some of the wall panels tonight and it is more hassle than its worth, so I will just put them in the ground as they are. Having a go at this tomorrow night see if me, Sam and Matt can put up the walls and secure them together as well as filling the rest of the hole with concrete. Going to be a big job and a key one to get right so the dome fits on top. Fingers crossed it goes well. I'll post pics as it progresses tomorrow night. :)

Have tried to grind down some of the wall panels tonight and it is more hassle than its worth, so I will just put them in the ground as they are. Having a go at this tomorrow night see if me, Sam and Matt can put up the walls and secure them together as well as filling the rest of the hole with concrete. Going to be a big job and a key one to get right so the dome fits on top. Fingers crossed it goes well. I'll post pics as it progresses tomorrow night. :)

Were you using a diamond blade in the angle grinder Soupy?

No Damian just a normal stone blade with a metal blade ready for the reinforcement bars, it was working but was too tough and would have taken an age. I can get away with not grinding them so it is probably better that I don't anyway. :)

What a night... started just after 6 and only just finished an hour ago!!!

dont know what i would have done without Sam, Dan and Matt...

we managed to erect the obsy walls in record time, about 3.5 hours, but when we got round to the final part realised we had built the walls too far apart so we had to disconnect each panel and move these around separately to try to get them to a better place. We finally managed to do this and what a relief it is. Still needs some work to get it to where it needs to be for the dome to go on top, but have a gander at the pics. They dont look half bad, just remember this is not quite the final look. They have all been moved around a little more to fit correctly and we have closewd the gap with just a door opening left to fill :)

post-22085-0-65704100-1404262940_thumb.j

post-22085-0-50060500-1404262944_thumb.j

post-22085-0-86322100-1404262949_thumb.j

post-22085-0-08927600-1404262955_thumb.j

post-22085-0-70808500-1404262959_thumb.j

Well done to all involved and it's coming along well. Tired day for many by the sounds finishing at that time.

I think the pre kielder obsy build was a good plan there Soupy ha ha

I'll try to get up and have a look and lend a hand

Cheers Mike, even managed an impromptu bino session in the garden after putting the panels up this morning early doors. The problems seem to come thick and fast not too sure about the fun in solving them though ;) stressful more like :).

Hi Tinker I have a garage full of insulation ready for putting behind some boarding I intend to do inside so should keep the internal temp more bearable. That's the idea anyway :)

Archived