Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I'm in two minds....arrgh!!

emadmoussa

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW, I have less to explain to the missus about having to get a bigger scope when I show here I have exhausted most observing lists for 8" scopes.

My missus thought my 12" Flextube was great after she looked at the Leo triplet. But imagine these things clearer and more defined...was my argument :D

My missus thinks astronomy is too cold a hobby.

ahh yes, but with radio astronomy, you can be tucked up in a nice warm room, 365 days (or nights) a year if you so choose :D. But then again...you're always gonna want a bigger aerial ;)

ahh yes, but with radio astronomy, you can be tucked up in a nice warm room, 365 days (or nights) a year if you so choose :D. But then again...you're always gonna want a bigger aerial ;)

I think there are some council regulations about how big your satellite dish/ aerial should be... but yes, the warm room is a good thing.

make your mind up Emad will ya? you are worth than my wife when it comes to purchasing something lol.Close your eyes and press the "Place the order" button. :D

i said something like that, last week when we went through this, i will probably say it again next week as well and the week after and the week after,and so on :grin:

Nah, but seriously...I don't like this waiting time...too much time too many options. Somebody put me out of my misery please: D

Paypal me the money, I'll spend it for you :)

Sent from my GTi9300 using random spelling mistake generator!!!!

Take your time Emad - I'm a firm believer in savouring the agony of choice, to get the most pleasure from spending my hard earned (and even harder concealed ;) ) astro fund.    That big VX14 may come up on ABS, there may be a favourable review on the ES 16" Truss, or given time in debate/anguish you may save enough for a big obsession!    SW may even release their own truss variants later in the year.

And though you've already tested the water with the 12" flextube, there's always much to be learnt during the debate.

My problem is how to deal with the guilt after pressing the button and spending the dosh - but perhaps that's another thread ;)

Hmmm, I like the very manageable weight of my 10 inch GSO, and the extra light gathering oopmh that my 12 inch SW dobs had. So my vote goes for: Get yourself to the International Astronomy Show and buy a brand spanking new Orion Optics 12 inch F4 :evil: :evil:

I may be losing the plot but I reckon I saw a hint of spiral in M51 with an 85mm frac (??!!). And the view of M101 was okay too! I am starting to lose my aperture fever and really there are fab views to be had with any telescope, so I say, spare the back (I won't have one left what with hauling out my 400P goto!!)

Nah, but seriously...I don't like this waiting time...too much time too many options. Somebody put me out of my misery please: D

ill send you my paypal address and you can buy my vx14 :grin:

Hmmm, I like the very manageable weight of my 10 inch GSO, and the extra light gathering oopmh that my 12 inch SW dobs had. So my vote goes for: Get yourself to the International Astronomy Show and buy a brand spanking new Orion Optics 12 inch F4 :evil: :evil:

I may be losing the plot but I reckon I saw a hint of spiral in M51 with an 85mm frac (??!!). And the view of M101 was okay too! I am starting to lose my aperture fever and really there are fab views to be had with any telescope, so I say, spare the back (I won't have one left what with hauling out my 400P goto!!)

I presume Emad didn't see spiral arms in the 10 inch because of observing from home,  I've seen them in the 10 inch so I presume it is just down to the fact it is suburban observing of sorts.  that's why my motto is getting is the largest scope I can fit for transport comfortably, even if it does not happen that often, but when I get the chance, it is worth it every bit.

Even my Heritage 5 inch is better on deep sky faint stuff under a dark sky compared to my 10 inch. There again my home skies are not that good, and my version of dark sky visit are only so so dark  skies so far, but still a whole lot better than home :smiley:

So, a hypothetical question..

Assuming you put the Flextube 12" and the OOUK 12" side by side, what difference do you notice?

On deep sky objects, little or no difference. On the moon and planets, assuming you have opted for the 1/8th or 1/10th wave primary mirror in the OOUK you should find that the OO provides just a little crisper resolution and can absorb slightly higher magnifications with a little more ease.  All this is very heavily dependent on the viewing conditions as I'm sure you know.

My OO dobs primary mirror is around 1/9th wave PV and has certainly shown me finer planetary and lunar details than the 12" Meade Lightbridge that was my previous 12" scope when the seeing has been decent. On deep sky objects there is little difference between the two.

If buying new there is a pretty substantial prise difference between a Skywatcher 12" dob and an OOUK one though. Remember the OOUK website prices do not include VAT.

If you are primarily interested in deep sky objects I'd say go for the Skywatcher. If you really like teasing the details out of the planets and the moon then the 12" OO in the F/5.3 focal ratio is excellent from my experience.

One piece of advice I would offer, again from personal experience, is to get a scope that you have some confidence that you will use often. My Lightbridge 12" was just too heavy and clumbersome for my observing and storage circumstances and was quite a chore to set up and move around. If something is a chore then the initial novelty soon wears off and the scope does not get used. Having something sat in the corner underused is a dispiriting experience I found  :embarrassed:

My OO 12" F/5.3, being about as heavy in total as a Skywatcher 10" dob, is now far and away my most used scope and it's my lovely refractors that are starting to gather dust. Go figure, as the Americans are fond of saying  :smiley:

Note: your interests and storage / observing situation may well be quite different from mine so "your mileage may vary"

I thought so. For my needs an OOUK won't be worth the significantly extra cash. Thanks, John.

The 12" flexible was a DSO gobbler...Skywarcher never disappointed me optically. Focusers on the other hand are...you know.

I presume Emad didn't see spiral arms in the 10 inch because of observing from home,  I've seen them in the 10 inch so I presume it is just down to the fact it is suburban observing of sorts.  that's why my motto is getting is the largest scope I can fit for transport comfortably, even if it does not happen that often, but when I get the chance, it is worth it every bit.

Even my Heritage 5 inch is better on deep sky faint stuff under a dark sky compared to my 10 inch. There again my home skies are not that good, and my version of dark sky visit are only so so dark  skies so far, but still a whole lot better than home :smiley:

I have reasonable skies here...in the 10" the arms were nearly discernible, the 12" showed some structure.

Archived