Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I'm in two minds....arrgh!!

emadmoussa

Original plan was a 14" Flextube...now having cracked my back a bit while doing some ''DIY'' around the house I'm starting to think perhaps I should get my 12" Flextube back. After all I didn't have the chance to use it long enough...and 14" will probably be too heavy? the 12" wasn't really difficult to move around...so perhaps a bit extra aperture wouldn't be a deal breaker. Oh wait..I'm talking to myself... :D And ouch!! My back is really hurting..

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the wife says, size doesn't matter.

Have you seen the 14" in the flesh, maybe there isn't much difference in size/weight?

I found it wasn't so much the weight of a Dob, but more a problem the awkward size/shape of moving/lifting it.

Lee

As the wife says, size doesn't matter.

Have you seen the 14" in the flesh, maybe there isn't much difference in size/weight?

I found it wasn't so much the weight of a Dob, but more a problem the awkward size/shape of moving/lifting it.

Lee

As far as I know the tube is 25Kg - which is not heavy really. The base is big and awkward, but not impossibly heavy...

I'm not sure if the scope is the same design as the Meade Lightbridge that I own, but I made a second cradle/mount thingy.

I therefore could lift the scope out of the shed and onto the cradle, then lift the actual Dob mount into position in my garden and finally lift the scope from the cradle to the mount - easy and simple.

Lee

2-3 mtrs away 22" dob. :D

but if serious,why not get that 14",install removable dolly and just roll it in and out? Base side plates are thick and will allow that installation.I just measured mines and they are 1" thick boards.

Thought about that, but I'll have to take the base out first then the scope since the it won't fit through the shed door fully assembled.

Emad,

Here's some simple numbers to show you the differences between different options:

12" to 14" gives    36%    inceased light grasp

12" to 16" gives    78%

your earlier 10" to 12" gives   44%  increase.

To compare the numbers by scope aperture, a 12" to 16" upgrade will  be more like upgrading 80ED to a 102ED, considering that your sky condition will set more limit to large aperture scopes.

Emad,

Here's some simple numbers to show you the differences between different options:

12" to 14" gives    36%    inceased light grasp

12" to 16" gives    78%

your earlier 10" to 12" gives   44%  increase.

To compare the numbers by scope aperture, a 12" to 16" upgrade will  be more like upgrading 80ED to a 102ED, considering that your sky condition will set more limit to large aperture scopes.

I thought it was 40% increase in light grasp?

I'm afraid the 16" is out of the question for two main reasons: weight and size, and eyepiece height at zenith.

36% can be simplified as 40% somewhere.

10 " to 12" increase = (12*12)/(10*10) = 144/100= 1.44   => 44%

12" to 14"  increase = (14*14)/(12*12) = 196/144= 1.3611 => 36%

It will be certainly less difference than the upgrade from 10" to 12", by the simple numbers above, and difference should be even less considering the limit  sky conditions to larger scope.

2-3 metres away.........16" Dob ;)

Hear hear!!

I'd go for the biggest you can afford. Maybe work on the in and out of the shed by maybe building a new, slimmer base. I have a 16" on a wheelbarrow arrangement mod (through one side of a wider double door) and a 10" on a sack truck that just trundles out through a normal sized door. Don't get me wrong, I love my 10" and probably use it the most, but I lurve my 16" for reaching out deeper. With Dobs, go for the biggest and worry about the other stuff after!!!

Barry

Hear hear!!

I'd go for the biggest you can afford. Maybe work on the in and out of the shed by maybe building a new, slimmer base. I have a 16" on a wheelbarrow arrangement mod (through one side of a wider double door) and a 10" on a sack truck that just trundles out through a normal sized door. Don't get me wrong, I love my 10" and probably use it the most, but I lurve my 16" for reaching out deeper. With Dobs, go for the biggest and worry about the other stuff after!!!

Barry

Would be nice if the eyepiece was a bit lower...then weight and bulkiness could be overcome. Knowing me and how awkward I am, using a step ladder in the dark is not a good idea :)

Archived