Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I'm in two minds....arrgh!!

emadmoussa

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was looking at the Skywatcher website...

The 12" tube is 21Kg and the 14" is 23.5Kg. Then again...the shipping weight of the 14" is 22 + 26 + 8Kg. I'm assuming the 8Kg is the mirror box...assuming the mirror alone box-less is roughly 7kg. Does that mean that the tube weight they state is actually without the mirror assembly, and the actual fully assembled tube is about 30kg or slightly more??

The base on the other hand is 2Kg more than the 12", which is not much.

I'm not sure, how could it add up that much from 12" to 14"..weight wise!

post-27451-0-06914700-1400595301_thumb.j

the worse part about these scopes is the base! i am by no means a skinny guy but i struggle lifting my base in one go, the stupid place they put the handles makes it so you have to grapple it to carry it

Emad, When discussed previously the 14 inch flexi is heavy, but a second hand OO 14 inch would probably be light enough for you if you could handle the old 12 inch flexi fine ( if you can get your hands on one.) 

Apart of course from hat has already been said about  aperture gain is a decision you can make, but these OOs are lighter and the base will be narrower as well.  If it is just the weight is holding  you back an making you return to the 12 inch flexi as the sole reason, I would grab an 14 inch OO if one turned up, 2 inches more at no gain in weight, and  possibly in width as well when the base in taken into account for storage in terms of floor space.  The measurements you can get from OO.

Taking extra time to think it over will mostly not cost extra, there're times after you've done a through rearch about things you thought you wanted, you may come to conclusion that it is actually not what you really want. The process of learning things is rewarding itself, with bonus of saved cash :smiley:

Taking extra time to think it over will mostly not cost extra, there're times after you've done a through rearch about things you thought you wanted, you may come to conclusion that it is actually not what you really want. The process of learning things is rewarding itself, with bonus of saved cash :smiley:

Ditto!

In 3 weeks the IAS visit will change everything again. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

2 months ago he was giving up astronomy. :cussing: :cussing:

Do you need a 16/14/12inch scope to see each LED clearly. :laugh2: :laugh2:

In 3 weeks the IAS visit will change everything again. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

2 months ago he was giving up astronomy. :cussing: :cussing:

Do you need a 16/14/12inch scope to see each LED clearly. :laugh2: :laugh2:

LOL...

When did I say I was giving up astronomy anyway? :)

Depends on how soon you intend to purchase. It is pretty much seasons end up here, I was hoping for one final shout at things, at a dark site this weekend, but the forecast at the moment is a bit iffy. Might be different down where you are though. Besides which I have my 'grab and go' bin's for the summer.

My point is if not so much in a hurry then keep looking out for / make an enquiry through the second hand markets, either a 12" or 14" OOUk, particularly if you are concerned about back strain will solve all your decision problems. 

I had a 16" f4.5 and I could just see through the eyepiece at zenith and I'm only 5'7.this was a lightbridge though and the skywatcher 16" is a fair bit bigger.

How about portability and assembly time if you don't mind me asking?

If you have a look at my blog there's a picture of the whole lot fitting into the boot of my car.the bottom assembly(mirror part) is quite heavy but I manage it ok on my own and the base is quite big and needs to go sideways through doors but it's no hardship.takes more assembly than the flextube but it packs down much smaller and into more manageable pieces.10 mins for set up and collimation with practice which to me is ok.with my 300p I could do it in 3 mins.

Just to clarify, Is this upgrade/downsize still pending the purchase of the house? If so why don't you build a roll off (in the new house) then you can get as big as you like and you won't have to worry about your back....problem solved :D

Emad, it sounds to me like you need to buy from a supplier with revolving doors ;). While your are at it, why not consider getting a radio telescope?

Alternatively, just use the kit you have for a longer time so you really get to know how to get the most out of it. I think you have had more scopes in 18 months than I have had in my entire life. I had my first scope for some 15 years, and this one has lasted me nearly 19. I have added stuff, and swapped around EPs a bit, but always use the EPs for quite some time (like years) before considering replacement (the exception was the Lunt Zoom, which had an eye relief which was just not good enough for me, that lasted two weeks).

Emad, it sounds to me like you need to buy from a supplier with revolving doors ;). While your are at it, why not consider getting a radio telescope?

Alternatively, just use the kit you have for a longer time so you really get to know how to get the most out of it. I think you have had more scopes in 18 months than I have had in my entire life. I had my first scope for some 15 years, and this one has lasted me nearly 19. I have added stuff, and swapped around EPs a bit, but always use the EPs for quite some time (like years) before considering replacement (the exception was the Lunt Zoom, which had an eye relief which was just not good enough for me, that lasted two weeks).

I had the fracs for ages actually. But yes, true, with the other scopes I had to experiment until I found what I exactly needed. I know for instance that Schmidt Cassegrains are out of the question as the only scopes :) I believe there's a lot of personal preference in the field.  Upgrading from 10" to 12" - while didn't seem like much of a step-up - showed a fair amount of difference. It was the difference between making out the arms of M51 and not seeing them at  all. And since I was sadly forced to let go of the 12" due to financial circumstances (I didn't really have enough time to enjoy it properly :( ), I thought since I'm getting back my kit later this summer it was worth getting the biggest aperture I could handle (planning only one DSO scope and a small frac in the future for when I'm away from home). In my skies I believe it'll make some difference.  However, having strained my back recently I'm starting to think twice about the size and weight of the 350P or whether or not it was worth the upgrade...it's the dilemma of large aperture = better views vs. big aperture = heavy lifting.

Funny enough, for EPS. - Some were bought and sold, but the most used ones are still the same.

Sure the choice of scope is personal, but for DSOs conditions and observing experience are more important than aperture. I can make out arms of M51 in my C8 under good conditions. Practice makes perfect (still not there, but picking out mag 13.5 galaxies from a good site shows promise ;)). This is why staying with a scope and getting the full potential out of it is important. Once you move to something bigger, you are well equipped to get the maximum out of that as well. Whether 14" or 12" is optimal for your conditions is a matter only you can resolve.

Getting a scope that you can move to good sites (but still works in bad ones) is the optimal solution (or just moving permanently to a good site like Olly did, ideal but not for everyone). There's a 10" Sumerian travel scope on ABS-UK for a good price at the moment. It packs into a 40cmx40cmx14cm package plus trusses. Now that's compact!

BTW, the radio telescope option has the advantage that you have no problems with street lights.  Cell phones are another matter, maybe :D

Archived