Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I'm in two minds....arrgh!!

emadmoussa

just as a bit of a side note emad, dan k looked through mine and his sw 14 and said all views were brighter and clearer, i didnt look through his but he is experienced, but as you say there is a cost factor

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 12" flexible was a DSO gobbler...Skywarcher never disappointed me optically. Focusers on the other hand are...you know.

I've never felt the need to upgrade a standard focuser on Skywatcher or most other scopes to be honest with you Emad. My 12" OOUK dob has the original single speed Chinese crayford focuser on it and it works just great - it even holds Ethos + Powermate combos solidly and smoothly. I know others do feel the need to swap their focusers almost immediately but not me - as long as it moves an eyepiece in and out smoothly and holds it where I leave it, it's OK with me :smiley:

The exception here, ironically, was the OC-1 crayford made by OO and fitted to my 10" F/4.8 OO newtonian. That was a poor copy of a Moonlite and even I found it pretty crummy  :embarrassed:

After the hard time I had with my previous 200P focuser, I developed a lot of dislike towards the Skywatcher single speed stock focusers. Not sure if mine was an exception thought. The 14" Flextube seems to have a decent double speed focuser.. I will probably just upgrade to compression rings instead of stock thumb screws.

Thanks John for the summary, it confirms why I wish I'd got a 12 inch F4 OO. The weight is bang on the money for me for being a scope I would put out often (I found my 12 inch SW dobs required a bit more motivation than my 10 inch GSO). For me it's not whether it's better optically than a 12 Inch SW, it's that I would put it out as much as I do my 10 inch GSO. So for me it's more a question of does it outperform a 10 inch GSO, which I am most certain it does :smiley:

emad,

Methinks you procrastinate far too much to

be enjoying your hobby. Most of your threads revolve around equipment, or other changes.

Your perogative of course, but so much indecision must surely be degrading the pleasure one normally derives from the pursuit of amateur astronomy.

emad,

Methinks you procrastinate far too much to

be enjoying your hobby. Most of your threads revolve around equipment, or other changes.

Your perogative of course, but so much indecision must surely be degrading the pleasure one normally derives from the pursuit of amateur astronomy.

Couldn't agree more. I just can't wait to move house, get my equipment back and then get observing...

Archived