Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

12mm Nagler T2 vs 13mm Ethos

Can I live in hope (despite having expressed my views on football a little too harshly, perhaps???  :grin: )

Honestly, the only EP I have ever tried which seemed to me to have no rival was the 13 Ethos.

Why do I say these things?

Olly

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I live in hope (despite having expressed my views on football a little too harshly, perhaps???  :grin: )

Honestly, the only EP I have ever tried which seemed to me to have no rival was the 13 Ethos.

Why do I say these things?

Olly

LOL - no hard feelings re the footy :grin:

I've sent you a pm.

What does "pressure tuned" mean ?. I assume it's something to do with the Etalon filter ?

John, I can't believe you don't know what pressure tuning is...... Sorry but I don't have time to explain just know but I'm sure some one else will very soon......... ;-)

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fabry-Perot can be tuned in various was. The simplest is tilt-tuning, which simply tilts the etalon to change the effective distance between the plates of the etalon. Pressure tuning is done by changing the air pressure (and therefore refractive index) in the gap between the plates also changing the optical path length. This leads to more uniform passband over the FOV.

shane i know you have a good collection of EP's  and used many but why the T2 insted of the T4? I thought this thread was about a EP not football  :confused:

it is about eyepieces. not sure what your point is? or is the mere mention of football offensive in some way now?

see post 3 for my reasons why not a T4. broadly 1) I would sooner risk less than £100 on a T2 than £200 or so on a T4 and have the same problem as my Ethos/T5 nagler on the moon - I think due to my eyes but also 2) it 'releases' another £100 towards the Lunt and 3) I like to try my own route sometimes rather than the mainstream route and genuinely feel that differences are so small I may as well have the Lunt sooner rather than later. :smiley:

Are Ethos mainstream now ?

Didn't know that  :smiley:

Releasing funds for other projects is entirely understandable though. We all have a finite amount we can dedicate to the hobby and the trick is to squeeze the most from that. Sometimes that means hard nosed decisions are required  :smiley:

Is the Lunt 50 a new model Shane ?. I can only see the 35mm and 60mm's listed.

splitter :grin:  I meant more the mainstream view (or what I perceive to be the mainstream view) that newer and wider is better.  it's not always the case is all I was saying and I like trying different ways to achieve the same thing.

yeah, the Lunt 50 has not even been officially released yet but is on the FLO site as a 'coming soon' http://www.firstlightoptics.com/blog/new-lunt-50mm-solar-scope-announced.html

Looks good but it would take me a few years to save £900 approx. unless I sell something, hence this thread to a large extent.

just took some photos to show the relative dimensions of the two type 2 Naglers I have against the 13mm Ethos and the perhaps more common 32mm Televue plossl. other than the plossl (175g) all of the eyepieces are quite sizeable and weighty (12mm 475g 16mm 450g 13mm 575g all on my dodgy scales).

note that the earlier 16mm has the smooth barrel without the undercut of the later 12mm

the eye lens is quite small compared with the ethos and eye relief is a little tighter albeit not that different to see the whole field. these eyepieces remind me a lot of the 22mm Panoptic I had previously although they are quite a bit bigger from memory. here's some pics.

post-5119-0-14579100-1400278566_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-46794200-1400278625_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-87204900-1400278649_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-25055700-1400278663_thumb.jp

splitter :grin:  I meant more the mainstream view (or what I perceive to be the mainstream view) that newer and wider is better.  it's not always the case is all I was saying and I like trying different ways to achieve the same thing.

yeah, the Lunt 50 has not even been officially released yet but is on the FLO site as a 'coming soon' http://www.firstlightoptics.com/blog/new-lunt-50mm-solar-scope-announced.html

Looks good but it would take me a few years to save £900 approx. unless I sell something, hence this thread to a large extent.

Thanks for the info on the Lunt 50 - I'll keep an eye out for it.

Perfectly good point about wider not always being better. Maybe I'll be able to kick the habit one day  :rolleyes2:

Thanks for the info on the Lunt 50 - I'll keep an eye out for it.

Perfectly good point about wider not always being better. Maybe I'll be able to kick the habit one day  :rolleyes2:

no need to kick it - what's good for you doesn't have to be what's good for me (obviously :smiley: )

it seems most are showing it as in stock but Lunt Germany confirmed to me the other day that they will not be available until July-August. maybe TS have managed to get a few though who knows. I'd be after the one with the B600 blocking filter though which is €1135 not cheap by anyone's reckoning! hence my wish to change some things about.

Shane, I hope you like it. 

I wonder if some of the older naglers have a similar generation coating as the Radians.  I happen to be enjoying my older 8mm Radian I recently got, thanks to 3 good nights, last night was really steady seeing on Saturn as well so I could enjoy it with a barlow. I tried various doubles also with it   The 8mm Radian is turning out to be a lovely eyepiece bit by bit, though I must admit it did not really massively impress on the first night, it is a very well corrected eyepiece ( a you would expect form a TV ) though when it comes to transmission and star colour it does seem older gen to me.  I noticed it on specifically chosen double, one of which has a sliglty offwhite ( very light blue colour ) ( B-V index -0.04 or so ) and must admit the BST showed it a tad more clearly that it is slightly blue versus the white of its companion.  Throughput/transmission in the BST starguider is slightly edging it too by a smidgeon, even it if in every other category the Radian  it is beginning to win out over the BST and that little bit sharper too.  :smiley:

Having said all that, I must admit this is one thing I dislike a little bit about these older TVs, as well as the slight colour cast which is very nice on Jupiter but I dislike a bit when it comes to more general use, it doesn't always help in very siubtle contrast situtions where the BST is also proving to be rather good and holding up well against it. 

Presumably the transmission and colour neutrality is better in the newer range such as Delos ( I have yet to sample one in the coming months ).

Hi Alex,  Glad to hear you got to try out the 8mm Radian at last,  They are good lenses,  After  acquiring a 10mm ethos the 8mm became redundant for me hence selling it on to you.

I would like to try the Delos to compare against the Ethos :grin: .

Ian. :smiley:     

Archived