Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which Dob?

Hiya,

I just got back yesterday from Astrocamp in the Brecons, where I was lucky enough to have a look through a SkyWatcher 10in Dob. Definitely now thinking that that's my upgrade path (from a 5in newt on an EQ2). Doing a bit of early research today, I was wondering if anyone could help me decide on whether to go for an 8in or a 10in, and whether to go Skywatcher, Revelation, or Orion (the Orion XT8 looks pretty cool).

Cheers,

Kev.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have Orion Optics mirrors in my 12" dob. I am impressed with their quality. However, if this hadn't come up, I was saving for a Revelation dob, as their cost is reasonable, and with a little tweaking can be a good scope.

In the end though, I guess for a dob, it comes down really to the quality of the base and how easy it is to change eyepieces, move the scope, etc. without it being uncontrollable and having a life of its own.

I would buy  ten inch unless price is a huge concern. I am about to buy a zhumell z10, great reviews and very affordable. Telescopes.com sells them. Images will be brighter and dark sky objects more accessible with a ten inch.  Either way though you will have a blast, so much to see out there!

Cheers guys. I was thinking of going for the 10, but wanted to sure there was enough of a difference over the 8 to justify the price hike.

Just gotta get saving now!

Kev.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Hi Kev

A 10" is IMO the perfect size scope having a blend of large enough aperture to really show DSO well and is still small enough to be easily portable.

This second trait also makes it a great jumping off point for a large scope at a later date.

Kev100.......Hi, There's nothing wrong with my set-up (just my eyes, although today's check-up, the optometrist says one eye has improved slightly! ( well  I never on this earth thought that was ever possible, once bad always bad, and worse as we get older?) however,  I would think that a larger  10" 0r 12" should offer me a larger image scale at the focal point. As Moonshane points out, as you get bigger, then more side effects arrive with the package, ie.  cant just use any EP, might need a coma corrector, if coma affects you ( its a Newtonian issue, it will be there!)  the OTA is bigger(storage issues) heavier (portability) more expensive(deeper pockets) and the bad weather lasts longer with a bigger sourced telescope ( that may be an old wives tale!).

The 8" is supposedly one of  the Uk's best selling telescopes, for good reason. I would't hesitate in suggesting the 10" would be great. As is always the case, you buy the 10" and want a 12". For my next reflector, I would get a 12" (if I had too) simply to appreciate the difference the extra 4" rather than a  2" increase would make. The 12" would  be about my limit for a reflector. That said, I have no plans for a reflector upgrade. I may invest in a refractor one day?

Biggest you can afford with decent optics.  Orion is apparently better than Skywatcher. That said, I'm totally happy with my 8" SW given the amount of time that it gets used, given our climate.

And HELLO from Dorset!   :hello:

Hello all, and thanks for the info; much appreciated. All in all I think I'll have to go for a 10in (like Myopicus says (and hello, by the way), 'biggest you can afford'). I don't want to be upgrading again in a year or two's time.

I've been reading several reviews online, on Amazon, etc., and someone suggested having a look at a GSO GSD 880. Although a little bit more expensive than the Revelation/SW variety, it does seem very well made:

http://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/product.html?info=3164&xcab0a=76okss6u95nneptg7j4q07f0m7

Cheers for all your help,

Kev.

You can get the f/5 10 inch revelation here

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Revelation-10---F-5-M-CRF-Premium-Dobsonian--White--1.html

I would buy a large scope like this from the UK preferably, at least if there is something wrong the return will be less costly should that happen, unless it is quite a bit cheaper elsewhere abroad. Sometimes they do  10% off deals as well at telescope house, this bank holiday weekend could be one but not sure. :smiley:

Good luck.

edit:

The GSO revelation scopes are based on GSO made optics f/5 1250/250mm

Skywatchers, skyquests are based on synta based optics and are f/4.71 1200/254mm  for the 10 inch models

The 10 inch Skywatcher you will often see advertised incorrectly as an f/5 scope, for example here.

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/telescopes/sky-watcher/skyliner/250PX/dobsonian.html

though they do state focal length and aperture correctly, the f ratio is incorrect info.

Hi Kev,

Hmm, a 10" in the Brecons? That sounds familiar!

I don't have a coma corrector, but I don't seem to notice it as much as some. Maybe someday. The thing I'd check are the lengths of the tube, if it's going across the back seat. The 10" Skywatcher fits fairly comfortably across my Seat Leon, but that f/5 on the GSO one would have me worried - it'd certainly be snug.

Of course, if you're carrying it a different way, that wouldn't be a problem.

And I made the same decision as you - to spend more now, getting the 10", rather than getting the 8" and wondering.

Hi Kev,

Hmm, a 10" in the Brecons? That sounds familiar!

I don't have a coma corrector, but I don't seem to notice it as much as some. Maybe someday. The thing I'd check are the lengths of the tube, if it's going across the back seat. The 10" Skywatcher fits fairly comfortably across my Seat Leon, but that f/5 on the GSO one would have me worried - it'd certainly be snug.

Of course, if you're carrying it a different way, that wouldn't be a problem.

And I made the same decision as you - to spend more now, getting the 10", rather than getting the 8" and wondering.

Very true and not something  take for granted when you see the thing in the flesh outside they may not seem that big, but when you fit it in the car it is a fair amount of sizeable baggage. For this very reason I ended up with a 10 inch flextube, so I have enough room to spare in the car for other things. I can take that model on a longer holiday comfortably without having the missus sitting on top of my head, or tied to a roof rack :grin: . I only have a tiny little Ford KA, even the skywatcher 10 inch solid tube will not go comfortably on my back seat. 

A f6.3 10" Dobsonian is a dream to use.

It would be yes...

a f4.7-4.9 might be a little bit more pain..

depending on the f-ration (not sure what the focal length is

with an 8" mirror)...Orion/SW ?

I would opt for a 8" flextube...due to transport reasons...

I have the 10" SW flex, and it is not very transportable...

I had to ask my wife numerous times.. 'pick it up !...pick it up !!'

to no avail...

Hi everyone! Gotta say, the advice and pointers here have been awesome!

Hi Andy! Yep, it was your dob that started this. :)

All I have to do now is persuade my wife!

Cheers!

Kev.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Hi again,

Well, my wife has tentatively agreed to the dob, so I'm just doing some final research. So far the favourite is the revelation 10 inch, purely because the roller bearing base seems to be very highly thought of. However, I had a look on telescope house (which has the dob at £399 at the moment!), and the description refers to a Crayford style focuser. I've heard a lot of good things about Crayford items, but I'm a bit unsure about this one. Any thoughts/experience?

Cheers,

Kev.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

By all accounts its not bad as stock focusers go and if memory serves, is dual speed unlike the skywatcher equivalent which is single.

Sent from my GTi9300 using random spelling mistake generator!!!!

• 5 weeks later...

Well ... guess what! I'm going to pick up a Skywatcher 250PX tonight! Found a bargain on Astro buy & sell, and so the 'Which dob' decision has (finally) been settled. I was leaning towards the Revelation one, but the price and condition of this secondhand one won me over. Will report back as soon as I've had a chance to use it.

Cheers,

Kev

Archived