Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dobsonian mounts?

Andy78

No real issues - just remember to keep the mount dry when not in use - they could swell if damaged and wet.

I've had my Dob for a number of years with no issues. I've even made a second wooden stand that sits outside all the time and that too has had no problems (but it is well painted).

Lee

What is it that you want to do with a scope?

The dobsonian mount was produced to be simple and inexpensive, and it succeeds in this perfectly.

It is fully manual, you have to find and point it at everything, you have to move the scope in accordance with the earths rotation.

There are several people who get one then the next question is "How do I take images with this?" the answer being simply "You don't".

So if you intend to get any images at all to show everyone what the scope is capable of then do not get one, they do not take images.

I say this as the number of posts about this are numerous. So the idea of dobsonians and imaging seem prevalent. I may suggest that the Beginners Imaging section has it's own scrolling banner saying "Dobsonians do not do imaging." :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

One of the often quoted reasons for getting a dob is price;  you're getting the most 'bang for your bucks'!  Simple base, loads of aperture vs. complicated mount, less aperture for any given price point.

But I agree with ronin - it depends whether you just want visual observing or to be able to take photo's.

I'm a visual sort of chap, I'm quite happy to admire other people's amazing images without the expense and complication that it entails. But that's just me

Thanx to you all. I too just like to observe. Ive got a SW Skyhalk 114/1000 and i want to upgrade to a bigger scope but dont want to have to modify due to cash flo issues (misses)!!! I do like using the slow mo controls but i dont trust the look of the EQ3-2 or the EQ5, plus the soft bolt issues. Plus also upgradind to just a 130mm just aint going to cut it for DSOs. And with 3 kids and 2 dogs! Keeping a big dob in my back room will be a stress nightmare for me. I simply dont know what to do???,

Have you got a garden? You could buy a little flat-pack shed to keep it in.

Something like this?

£180 seems a bit steep, but they come up 2nd hand all the time on gumtree and the like. or see if your local agricultural merchant has any ex display ones going cheap.

Hmmm, the spiders will love that shelter.

• 1 month later...

So andy78 did u make the decision on purchasing a Dob mounted scope, I have the skyliner 200p donsonian, originally I was looking for an eq mounted scope but after much deliberation I settled for the Dob purely as I am a more visual user rather than in imaging, also it's much less hassle to set up, it's a get up and go, u can be bagging DSO's before an equatorial has been properly aligned. I've had no issues with mine but I've only had it for about 2 weeks and got only 3 nights average viewing so far. Don't over tighten the central bolt on the azimuth axis, and the tension handle on the alt axis just needs to be partly firm. Tracking is not an issue as I tracked a low orbit satellite on a med/high power ep for nearly 2minutes!!

"Keeping a big dob in my back room will be a stress nightmare for me. I simply dont know what to do???,"

A good size to upgrade to from your existing set up would be a 200P - either on a dob base or an eq mount. A manual CG5 with motors fitted would do it nicely for around £350 second hand - maybe £150 to £200 for a dob version with no motors. But I'm not sure what your budget is. Hth :)

Are there any issues with these wooden mounts that anyone can tell me about please? Before i take the plunge!!!!

Andy78.........Hi,  Plunge now and try and secure yourself  a 200p Skyliner. You wont regret it. Check my signature for some extras you may also like to consider?  Although I show a Nikon and have a few images in my gallery, don't  believe that a telescope fitted to a Dobsonian was designed for photography. For that you need an equatorial tracking mount, and that should cost more than your telescope for starters. The 8" (200P [P=Parabolic]) sized reflector telescope fitted with a Dobsonian mount  is a no-nonsense, easy to use,  easy to set-up and easy to maintain telescope, that will see you good for some considerable time.

:D :D

I can hear you and you'll not be  the only one doing that. I hear a lot of sighing  from all over the planet from custom made Dob makers and OO users. :grin:  

Still, the SW mount gets the job done for me for now.  How long that chipwood will last remains to be seen.  If I can look at Mars and even moon at 360 through a peephole 5mm BGO barlowed and not have trouble, it can't be all bad. I find the tension handles is quite a good mechanism for what it is, a bit fiddly to get the balance just right with both handles, not overtightening one and or the other.   In due course I'll get something better so I can grin along perhaps.   

being fair, the price of a skywatcher 8" dob is about £30 more than an OTA only I think? maybe £60 if you include the rings. pretty cheap, £60 for a mount that will carry an 8" scope solidly.

Ok you can make a base yourself but not everyone can. the cost of a purpose made base is likely to be more than the cost of the whole 8" dob so I'd definitely say that the Skywatcher dobs are good value and excellent optically for the price too.

I can hear you and you'll not be  the only one doing that. I hear a lot of sighing  from all over the planet from custom made Dob makers and OO users. :grin:  

Still, the SW mount gets the job done for me for now.  How long that chipwood will last remains to be seen.  If I can look at Mars and even moon at 360 through a peephole 5mm BGO barlowed and not have trouble, it can't be all bad. I find the tension handles is quite a good mechanism for what it is, a bit fiddly to get the balance just right with both handles, not overtightening one and or the other.   In due course I'll get something better so I can grin along perhaps.   

AlexB67........... I adjust both handles prior to lifting the scope, then only adjust the tensioning handle on the side of the eyepiece. During the course of the session, the offside handle will loosen off, but nothing that causes me any problem with EPs or the weight of a camera fitted. The Skyliner manual actually instructs me  to leave the handle on the far side slightly loose, to allow full control of the nearside tension handle(I only have the one tensioner) If the far side is too tight, it will negate the use of the tension handle in the first place. What I have also noticed is that when out and about, if I remove the handles, one of the bushes will fall out?  so either I will need a spot of glue, or just double check I have the bushes, prior to leaving the site, which avoids any return trip to look for something that could blow away in the wind. I'll delay gluing, in-case I custom build an ornate Dobsonian in some fancy wood, and need to transfer the bushes?

I agree that point in the manual is an important point for that mount system to get smoothness and balance right and get the best out of it I feel.

Not a lot of people read manuals so they should put in on a big sticker below the far handle that reads

Do not overtighten, use near handle instead, remove sticker when memorised :grin: 

Do not overtighten, use near handle instead, remove sticker when memorised :grin: 

That's a pretty good idea actually... :)  And with goto system...if you don't read the manual you get an electric shock..then a message on the handset appears ''I told you to read the damn manual" :D

Archived