Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Star Party Camping Essentials

royholl

As I intend to go to Kelling Star Party in April I will need to get some camping equipment.

Some things are obvious tent, sleeping bag, loud stereo etc. but what else should I get, any help and advice would be most gratefully received.

I intend to get one of these tents to go on my Mitsubishi pickup.

trucktent.jpg

Looks like that might attract an Indian war party Roy, it's a bit like the Old West covered wagon.

There is not likely to be enough like yours to form a circle. :D

Just joking mate. It looks fine, but you will need a thick mattress, that floor will be hard.

Is that tent designed specifically for that vehicle, it seems such a good fit?

Ron. :D

Hi guys,

The Truck Tent is designed to fit all sorts of pickup I just need to order the right one.

Yes the floor is hard but I will be using an inflatable bed.

John, cold running water is just what is was thinking but with this tent I will be high and dry.

That looks cool, and whilst the floor may be hard, there's much less chance of cold and cold running water through the middle of the tent.

Unless it is raining :D

Save Your money Roy and get a good tent.

One of our members has just changed his L200 Double Cab for a Shogun Sport and He can't believe how much extra tat and rubbish he can get in the back :D:lol: Even a double mattress fits in nicely if the seats are down. :hello1:

I used to have a Shogun Sport there is lots of room in them but I decided the 3 litre V8 auto was too thirsty, my L200 is a single cab witch I use for work as I am a builder. I am still unsure whether to get this tent or a more conventional one.

I've got a great 8 birth tent - from Sunncamp, cost about £180, it's got 2 bedrooms (1 for the kids, 1 for us!) either side of a central living area. The thing is that I can take it and put it just about anywhere, you may have some problems trying to park in the middle of a tent campsite.

The other thing to thing about is once you have set-up camp, and the table and stove etc, you can drive away in the car for the day. With your idea you may/will have to take the tent down each day and put it up again each night. What about your other bits and pieces?

I would suggest buying a separate tent - it will be more practical in the long run.

Brian.

I would go for a decent tent, sleeping bag and roll mat or mattress ....

The tent if big enough can store all of your kit along with scope equipment..Find one with a living area as well as sleeping area...

A large waterproof tarp to put on the floor for the kit infront of the tent will be a good investment..

And bring a few bottles of wine for the chefs, as the SGL team will be there :D

Don't be shy and come over and introduce youself...

HTH

Greg....Little Cook.. :D:lol:

I have been thinking about the tent all day and have decided on a different one getting one of these now

http://www.shopfortents.co.uk/vango-orchy-400-tent-laurel-2008-p-167.html?zenid=eb596d7d841f9a5fff0126880378d6be lots more room for all the beer. You are right, there just wasn’t going to be enough room on the back of the truck.

Hi Greg,

Steve told me to see if you were cooking this year, and to get in on the grub if I can, :wave: I have no unusual dietary requirements. :D

I’m not shy I will soon be known by everyone and then removed from the site. :D

Regards,

Roy

I look forward to meeting you... :D

As for the tent, buy something reasonable for the first starparty then have a look at what everyone else uses..I started with a £29.99 job from Morrisons about 6 years ago..It's still going strong. Great for summer/Spring weekends a bit cramped but will sleep two at a push.

Steve and I used that one at the Salisbury starparty..

Speak to SteveL or Kai Herb (Another Steve!) They are pretty informed on the camping and tent front, i'm more of a caravan man myself!! I purchased bigger but still compact 5 birth job in the sales last year (Under Steve's guidance)

I may bring it to the Kelling party as I haven't put it up yet..And I think I have the 5 birth version of the one you're thinking of buying!

Good luck with the tent purchase.. :D

Greg

I look forward to meeting you... :D

As for the tent, buy something reasonable for the first starparty then have a look at what everyone else uses..I started with a £29.99 job from Morrisons about 6 years ago..It's still going strong. Great for summer/Spring weekends a bit cramped but will sleep two at a push.

Steve and I used that one at the Salisbury starparty..

Greg

Isn't that 1 and a 1/2 Greg.

Regards

Kevin

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I am going to make a check list and add all the sensible items to it and then if there is room I will add the rest. :lol:

I look forward to meeting all those that are going to the party :D

I will be at pitch 382 see you all there. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'd go for a separate tent. Make sure you take an air bed to sleep on, a hot water bottle and plenty of warm clothes. It can get blumming cold on April nights! It strikes me that sleeping on a tent on the back of a pick up that you are sleeping on a large sheet of metal. Metal gets very cold at night. Camping in the spring or autumn is not like summer camping.

I'm going to the Autumn star party and I'll be going to bed in long johns, two pairs of socks, t-shirt and sweat shirt and a woolly hat (sexy eh?). Last year I froze my b**ll**ks off on the first night. Never again.

• 3 weeks later...

Oil-filled radiators are available in compact sizes. Silent and good for drying socks 8)

Glad I took mine to Kielder !!

:shock:

We are always in the bottom field not much in the way of power down there just "Hard Observers" just lost all the sensation in my toes toes thinking about it now! :wink:

Archived