Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing targets for SGL 9?

DRT

I see that there is a thread discussing targets for the Big-Endians so I thought we should have one for us Little-Endian types who prefer looking rather than photographing.

I'm still new to all of this and live under a fairly bright sky so this will be my first opportunity to observe from a relatively dark site. My targets are:

Solar System: Jupiter, Mars, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune (not sure if the last two are visible) and the Sun

Galaxies: Andromeda, Leo Triplet, Cigar and Whirlpool

Nebula: Orion & ????

Other interesting things: Suggestions welcome :wink:

Right, well, Andromeda is going to be at 20 degrees near dusk, and descending, so I doubt that'll be much good. You do, however, have the entire of the Virgo cluster of Galaxies to trawl through - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgo_Cluster - I intend spending quite some time trawling through here, especially Markarian's Chain. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markarian's_Chain 

Uranus and Neptune won't be well placed. Venus might be possible, in the morning. And Minor Planet Ceres and asteroid Vesta should be visible, and fairly close to each other (though they get closer later in the year)

If you want Nebulae, in the early morning - about 0430 - the Eagle and Swan nebulae should be up, though low. Higher, so probably easier - the Ring Nebula, and Veil Nebula. North America nebula too, if you've got a wide enough field of view, and it's dark enough.

Globular clusters - Loads. M3, M53, M13, M92, and in the early morning, and  bit low , M10, M12, M14, M107, M9. And there's a bunch lower than that, but that'd need a big empty horizon. I'd love to get M4 in the 10", though.

(I've been doing some planning...)

I`m going to compile my list when i arrive on the Thursday, I have never been to an SGL event before so have no idea of the FOV of the sky from the site, but i have been to other star parties before so will just hopefully add to my messier list, currently on 54 out of 110 so hoping to add to that.

I also think somebody said the moon will be about early on in the evening so will make a start on the lunar 100, only done 2 so far - lol.

I am hoping to have a go through the Virgo and Canes galaxies and possibly complete my Messier list. either way I'll be doing lots of sketching! also first proper look at Mars this year and confirmed split of Sirius. If we get any clear sky I'll be very happy.

I was hoping to get a chance to try and view the Horsehead Nebula but I'm not sure if the moon will interfere with this. I don't tend to plan for these things to be honest but "go with the flow" as they say :smiley:

I've seen M51's spiral structure quite clearly with a 12" scope from the star party site so that would be good as well as I have to use averted vision to get that from home.

It will be interesting to have a go at Sirius from a site with an uncluttered horizon. I can get it here but it's in a gap between houses and a school so I have to take my chances.

My best one was at Kelling a couple of years ago - friend of mine (lguise) was showing people objects through his 20" dob, and I was taking short subs of them!

All the electronics just worked - first and last time! LOL!!!!!

Archived