NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DOUBLE SHADOW TRANSIT..9/3/14

Just giving you a heads up about this tonight. The double for me anyway is around 9pm tonight but it's looking cloudy and I go too work at 10 :( still good thing I have a dob ,quick set up so I'm going to be prepared.
Check your apps and programs for the event times....etc. all you imagers......at the ready :-)

Clear skies to you all :-)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure Paul how many times there is a double,I just look at my special Jupiter app and see what's happening on a daily basis. It also give a list of triple transits,which I think are few and far between. It's still looking dodgy tonight but all I need is a gap in the clouds,even if I get a glimpse of the 2 shadows,I will be happy. (Fingers crossed)

Clear skies to you all :-)

Thanks. Scope nights is showing clear here.

How often does this happen during the hours of darkness? Seems to be a fairly frequent happening about midday. :)

Paul

In this month (March 2014) there will be 68 shadow transits of Jupiter in total.  Ignoring the clock change for BST, Sunset is around 18:00 & sunrise is around 06:40 at this time of year.  37 of those shadow transits will take place after 17:59 & before 06:40.  The 9th & 16th are dates for the double moon transits both happen in the darkness (Ganymede & Io are the moons in action action on the 16th).  

It seems this month is pretty good for them as only 12 or so happen a year.  As expected a triple moon transit is even rarer and only happen once or twice every 10 years. The next one visible from the UK being on the morning of 24 January 2015.  According to my Redshift software, Callisto's shadow breaks the limb at 03:08, Io's appears at 04:34 & Europa's at 06:25.  Io's shadow leaves the disc at 06:52.  So the triple shadow event only occurs for around around 27 minutes or so.  These times are not exact I have just interpreted them from my software which is based on my saved position.  

Info here

http://www.darkskytelescopehire.co.uk/jupiter-set-for-double-galilean-moon-transits-in-march-2014/

James 

Thanks. Scope nights is showing clear here.

How often does this happen during the hours of darkness? Seems to be a fairly frequent happening about midday. :)

Paul

Hi Paul, list of Jupiter moon events here - http://media.skyandtelescope.com/documents/WebJphenTab2014.pdf  hours of telescopic fun  :laugh:

Just watched Ganymede's shadow move onto Jupiter's disc, plus the GRS plainly visible even in twilight.  Looking forward to the double shadow transit later.

Regards, Ed.

Good view at the moment. GRS is just past the centre of the disc and Ganymede's shadow is clear. Due to be followed by Io and its shadow soon.

Neodymium filter makes an appreciable difference to the contrast in twilight

James & Ed

Thanks for the info. I use the Sky & Telescope App but have now saved the Phenomenons of Jupiter's Moons PDF.

I'm Heading out with my 5 year old son in a minute to have a look at shadow, moon and GRS. Hopefully it'll stay clear for the double transit later. Given the Great British weather, an observable double is well worth a look.

Paul

Good view at the moment. GRS is just past the centre of the disc and Ganymede's shadow is clear. Due to be followed by Io and its shadow soon.

Neodymium filter makes an appreciable difference to the contrast in twilight

Completely agree about the neodymium in twilight Kerry, used mine this evening and it made a big difference.

Seeing is a but patchy here, but GRS very clear and the shadow looks lovely, jet black and very obvious :-)

Stu

Cracking view of the double shadow transit although seeing has deteriorated since earlier and I only glimpsed the moon in between. Great to get clear skies for these events. I could literally watch Jupiter all night

Fabulous evening. Had to come in after 2 hours, but saw the single shadow with the GRS to the left (Dob user) and the beginning of the double transit.

Dayum those shadows move fast!!

Entrancing...Life is good.   :)

LIke Kerry, seeing deteriorated just before I came in and I was put off by some bassy chavmusic coming from a car parked down the road...if I didn't have obligations I'd be up for an all nighter although the cloud is thickening...

Great heads up I have just spent the last 45 mins watching the double shadow transit unfold, I used an old 5mm clave plossl I have on my 0mm refractor and was amazed what a crisp view I was presented with superb !

Cracking view of the double shadow transit although seeing has deteriorated since earlier

I agree and found viewing variable over the last few hours. Early on 188x was really good, then I was dropping down to 100x but briefly got back up to 188x just after double transit started before reverting to 125x. A good evenings viewing and I am hoping to get back out before bedtime and maybe catch a glimpse of Mars.

Seeing's gone to pot here.

Thought I'd have a go at visual, as imaging is out for me ATM. Saw first shadow very clearly early on, but now it's not clear at all, besides which I'm now looking through the heat column from the house next door.

My max mag is 136 or so so barely high enough, and I think I need to clean my optics, as there's a bit of flaring.

Argh!

A visit to FLO for a 180 mak is coming up I think.

Archived