SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DOUBLE SHADOW TRANSIT..9/3/14

Just watched Io going clear of the planet's disc leaving its shadow behind. Magic

I think that's enough of the Jupiter channel for tonight.

I'll get up early tomorrow hoping for good seeing for Mars and Saturn - it hasn't happened lately but I live in hope.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just packed up myself,REALLY PLEASED the weather held too allow me to observe this spectacular event. I LOVE THIS HOBBY OF OURS :-)

Clear skies to you all :-)

Agreed - one of those nights when it's all worthwhile. A slight pity that the seeing didn't hold up - but you can't have everything

I can go too work a happy happy now :-) glad all of you enjoyed it too. RAISE A GLASS TOO CLEAR SKIES

Clear skies to you all :-)

Yes I'm downing a glass of Italian now! .....and you managed to get the title changed!

A clear sky soon deteriorated to thick clag. The only things visible were the Moon , Jupiter and a large bat woken by the tropical heat today.

Between x150-240 at 7 I caught the dark sharp shadow of Io just clear of the southern belt with the GRS to one side. An hour and a half later the shadow of Ganymede appeared on the rim, followed by it's slight creep clear of the belt. A wider view showed just how sharp and obvious the shadows show up. The mount did the flip after 8.30 which is why the shadows appear in those positions.

A very difficult session trying to tease out details, but very pleasing in the C6r,

Nick.post-6974-0-13554100-1394402582_thumb.jp

Missed the GRS tonight but bagged the twin shadow transits. Seeing good enough for 200 x but a bit too much cloud floating around most of the time. At least it's not been too damp and another warmish night :smiley: a quick look at rupes recta earlier so a worthwhile night.   

As said on another thread, didn't know about this. Just set up the 4" for a quick look not expecting much due to high haze. 

'What's that black dot? Wait, there's another!" 

Ace :D

A clear sky soon deteriorated to thick clag. The only things visible were the Moon , Jupiter and a large bat woken by the tropical heat today.

Between x150-240 at 7 I caught the dark sharp shadow of Io just clear of the southern belt with the GRS to one side. An hour and a half later the shadow of Ganymede appeared on the rim, followed by it's slight creep clear of the belt. A wider view showed just how sharp and obvious the shadows show up. The mount did the flip after 8.30 which is why the shadows appear in those positions.

A very difficult session trying to tease out details, but very pleasing in the C6r,

Nick.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Nice one Nick, liking the sketches. One thing for the record, it was Ganymede shadow first, then Io. Had great views here too

Stu

Did anyone notice Io's disk transiting Jupiter as well ?.

I watched it move onto the disk about an hour after Ganymede's shadow had started it's transit. I could see Io against the Jovian cloud tops while it was close to the limb but I lost it as it moved out of the are of limb darkening and the contrast difference between it and the surface became hard to pick out. Io then nearly caught up with Ganymede's shadow leaving the Jovian disk just minutes after it. Io's disk popped back into visibility again as it neared Jupiter's western limb with the darkening effect again giving enough contrast difference for it to stand out.

A lot going on at Jupiter this evening !  :smiley:

I watched it move onto the disk about an hour after Ganymede's shadow had started it's transit. I could see Io against the Jovian cloud tops while it was close to the limb but I lost it as it moved out of the are of limb darkening and the contrast difference between it and the surface became hard to pick out. Io then nearly caught up with Ganymede's shadow leaving the Jovian disk just minutes after it. Io's disk popped back into visibility again as it neared Jupiter's western limb with the darkening effect again giving enough contrast difference for it to stand out.

A lot going on at Jupiter this evening !  :smiley:

That was a good spot john. I watched it reappear but couldn't see it against the planet.

Just come in myself after stupidly shooting 157 AVI's of the double shadow transit ...  :rolleyes:

PIPP is now wading through them and I've done the first 30 , wanted a nice smooth animation but didn't really think about the processing time ...  :p

Got a slow day tomorrow to sort some more ....  :grin:

A lot going on at Jupiter this evening ! :smiley:

Sounds great John. I only had 76mm to throw at it last night ;-). The shadows show up very clearly but no chance of seeing the moons against the planet, although I did see Callisto (I think) the other day because it is much darker, almost looked like a shadow.

Need to get this dob base built!

Stu

Archived