Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Leaping Puma / Bok globules / NGC 2244/46 / C50 in the Rosette

x6gas

What to do with all this poor weather... I've gone back to the last image I managed to capture - the Rosette Nebula.  This is a crop from centre region of the main image showing the leaping puma and the Bok globules around it.

I think it stands up pretty well considering this was captured with an 85mm scope, but thing I may have overdone the noise reduction a tad for some tastes (bit too much Gaussian blurring?) but I do like the results so decide to post it.

Scope: Tak FSQ85

Mount: CGEM DX

Camera: Atik 460ex with Baader 2" filters

Guiding: Atik OAG, PHD, IMG0H

Just under 15 hours of data (R+Ha, G, B+OIII).

post-11821-0-23763500-1393156316_thumb.p

I must be daft since I'm struggling to see all these animals! Nevertheless, it's a nice detailed crop showing excellent resolution and the delicate processing that we know Ian excels in.

Martin

Ha!  Thanks for the nice comments Martin.

Here you are then, the menagerie is circled.

post-11821-0-92506300-1393273615.png

Loads of detail in this one Ian, Interesting you've added O3 to the blue channel. would this be through the usual blend mode lighten method as used for adding Ha to the red channel, and if so did you find it helps boost the blue channel.

Thanks Martyn.

Yep blended in the OIII in the same way as the Ha in blend mode lighten.  In fact, I'd forgotten but I also added 5% of the OIII to green, 15% to the blue (I'd only added 17% of Ha to the red...) and yes it did add a lot more definition to the blue.

@ Cozzy - Many thanks.  And you might have a point there:

post-11821-0-52162700-1393353332_thumb.p

Reckons that could be a peacock, or may be a trumpeting elephant?

And this is even more tenuous:

post-11821-0-94981600-1393353460_thumb.p

but what about this for a turtle and a pony?

@ Olly - yes you have a point there, they are very nice scopes...

@ Steve - many thanks, but I'm not sure about the excellent imager bit - I still have an awful lot to learn especially on the processing front (but it is very kind of you to say so!)  This is down to a great scope and a lot of data (the latter makes everything else soooo much easier).

@ Cozzy - Many thanks.  And you might have a point there:

attachicon.gifpeacock.png

Reckons that could be a peacock, or may be a trumpeting elephant?

I have to say that straight away I saw this as a baboon, or some sort of monkey/ape......head to the left and tail stretching out....?

Thanks Uranium.

I have to say that straight away I saw this as a baboon, or some sort of monkey/ape......head to the left and tail stretching out....?

Ah yes, I see that now.  So peacock, elephant, monkey, Loch Ness Monster... take your pick!

Archived